VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an LCD TV and receive transmissions via satellite (no terrestrial reception) in New Zealand.

I am using a Pioneer DVR-520H-S (80GB HDD) DVD recorder and two STB's to set up my reception and recording of TV transmissions.

I need the two STB's as I wish to view one channel on TV while I record another on the DVR. Both STB's can only tune one channel at a time.

At present, I have set up the system so that I can do what I want, but this arrangement restricts some of the attributes of the STB's and some from the DVR.

If I should attach a diagram, I might be able to explain the setup better, but the basic setup is as follows;

Antenna>>>Splitter-Antenna A>>>STB-A>>>Composite Leads (AV)>>>TV
    STB-A>>>Composite Leads>>>DVR Recorder
    Antenna>>>Splitter-Antenna B>>>STB-B>>>HDMI Lead>>>TV
    DVR Recorder>>>Component Leads>>>TV

As you can see, the antenna leads only go into the STB's. and not into the DVR recorder. I have seen a couple of diagrams that suggest interconnecting the antenna outputs from some of the boxes, and other suggestions that say that there shouldn't be any antenna interconnection. Any suggestions.

If needbe, I can send STB and DVR spec's, connections, etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Diagrams, specs may help but I suspect the 'restrictions' you mention are caused by splitting the incoming signal.

The STB would normally communicate with the antenna to receive the signal but could not switch polarity with this sort of arrangement - not as far as I am aware.

Inter-connecting the antenna outputs between the boxes will require separate antennas for each STB and if you have two antenna you would not need to inter-connect anyway.

You can not connect the antenna direct to the DVR unless it is capable of tuning the incoming signal.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    my best guess is this, u need either a dual lnb, one for each output to ur stb... the limitations to this are that u can only watch the same transponder on the other stb... or u need a completly different dish & lnb to watch different sats (and channels)... i can possibly help a bit further with this setup if u give more details about the sats ur viewing & setup.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    another thought u could slave the dish thru 1 reciever to another, then u could view any channel on the tp ur getting from the primary stb.... the most simple (cheepest) solution would be to get a pvr ready reciever & dual tuners & a lnb with dual outputs with stationary dishs & switches to choose the sat u want (this solution is for FTA viewing)... if u happen to be on a sub plan (DN or Direct tv or Globecast) u can get pvr ready recievers thru the various companies
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All

As you will see from the image below my HDD is the Pioneer;- and the connectors between the UltraPlus (STB-B), the Hills (STB-A), the Pioneer, and the connections to the TV are those that I had available without having to spend any more. My wife won't let me.

I do have 3 RBG(?) component leads available but no suitable sockets.

I am viewing Freeview via satellite in New Zealand and am wondering if I should be using the STB-B connected to the Pioneer recorder.

Does this help to give you an idea of the setup.

Even though the UltraPlus 700HDMI PVR is directly connected to the TV I don't get Teletext as I should.

Is there a user guide other than the one that comes in the box?

Cheers
    GaryClick image for larger version

Name:	Home Setup Diagram (Large).jpg
Views:	246
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	6085
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You picture a satellite dish but do you actually have one or is it just an aerial capable of picking up a digital freeview signal ?

I would be tempted to try this:

1. take the splitter away
    2. LNB in to STB-B
    3. IF cable from STB-B('LNB' out if that is an identical connector as the 'LNB' in) in to STB-A(IF in)
    4. Scart from STB-B to the recorder instead of from STB-A
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    first off, eliminate the splitter
    second, get a dual output lnb (more than likely a linear lnb)
    third, run each side of the lnb to each stb (coax rg6 cable)
    fourth, scart to recorder from stb-a (recording) & stb-b (viewing stb)
    fifth, run hdmi from stb-b to tv
    sixth, recorder to tv
    seventh, select the correct input on recorder to correct stb & set recordings
    eighth, lots or remote play... selecting the correct inputs from the recorder & the tv (have fun with this one).... if u need a step to step further just reply with what u dont understand
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi the_man_one
    Thanks for the suggestions. However, re-organising the LNB setup at the dish is not really an option, neither is purchasing more equipment such as a dual-tuner decoder.

Hi DB83

Yes the dish is the method of reception. We don't have terrestrial (VHF/UHF) in our area.

The IF IN (STB-A) and the LNB IN (STB-B) are F-Type connectors, as is the LNB OUT on the STB-B.

It would be possible to remove the splitter and connect the aerial direct to the STB-B with the LNB OUT then connected to the STB-A IF IN, but I am unsure as to how this will affect the STB-A functions. I still need to be able to view one channel while recording another. Any suggestions.

If I purchase a new SCART Component (or S-Video) lead, I could make the STB-B the primary decoder and connect it to the Pioneer recorder instead of the SCART Composite from the STB-A. I would need to add audio leads (?) as well.

I have been advised that the HDMI connection from the STB-B and the TV is the reason that the Teletext doesn't work as HDMI doesn't support Teletext.

Cheers
    Gary
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the lnb would be a very simple solution, without the dual outputs there will be no way to get better than a transponder worth of different viewing... even this way you have to eliminate the splitter, then run thru the loop out (if ur stb has this output) to the other stb.... the primary stb will determine the transponder viewable
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    after checking the stbs that u r using i see nothing that would prevent u from changing the lnb.... unless there is a physical restriction with doing such... a good lnb dual output should go for around $25 USD... or just by simply adding another dish to ur system & running new cable (here in the usa dishes for this purpose are free if u search for them).... incedentally do u know which bird ur pointing to? seems like there is good programming there if i could get the sat (i doubt i can)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi the_man_one

My TV viewing is via OPTUS D1 160E satellite (for New Zealand).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With your setup, as my friend states, the single lnb is the biggest hurdle. My looping suggestion was directed at dvb-t as opposed to dvb-s which is what you have. 'Freeview' as a term is somewhat misleading as here it just means you can receive FTA channels.

The perfect solution is two lnbs on the dish with a separate cable being fed to each stb. Here in the UK we have Sky+ and Sky multi-room. Both of these work by having what appears to be one lnb but it has up to six separate cable connectors. Each cable(up to two) either goes into one stb with dual tuners (Sky+) so that you can watch one channel while recording another or even record two channels or the cable each go in to individual stbs which can be located in separate rooms in the house. Beyond that there are absolutely no restrictions as to what channel you can record/watch(unless there are premium channel restrictions)

Example of a dual-lnb here:

http://www.tech-faq.com/dual-lnb.html
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i would suggest a dual lnb as the simplest answer... its 1 bolt & 1 wire to run, i do it all the time here... i have 8 dishes currently
    btw that sat is way too far for me
    Quote Quote