VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. A great deal of my video is shot handheld on a boat .. so suffers from a lot of video shake.

A couple of years back I tried the DeShaker plugin ............ just came across a reference on line that there are AVIsynth scripts that uses the DeShaker plugin in to great effect.

Anybody got any details on this, certainly be worth me trying.

In case it is relevant to answer the raw footage is 1920 x 1080i 50fps PAL
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Because your source is interlaced, you'll have to de-interlace it prior to using DeShaker. Have a read in this post:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/366677-Best-way-to-Re-encode-Canon-5D-mov-file-afte...=1#post2346689
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can use VirtualDub plugins in AviSynth but you have to convert to RGB32 before calling them.

Code:
    LoadVirtualDubPlugin("c:\Program files\VirtualDub\plugins\PluginName.vdf", "AvsName") 
    AviSource("filename.avi") 
    ConvertToRGB32(interlaced=true|false)
    AvsName(arguments...)
    ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true|false)
    But DeShaker.vdf is one of the harder ones to call because you need to supply so many arguments. You can use File -> Save Processing Settings to get a list of all the arguments but they aren't named so it's tedious figuring out which is which.

It's much easier to use the native DePan filter in AviSynth.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Also, in the future, assuming you intend to do more shooting in this scenario, you may also want to invest in either a monopod, or a mini-glidecam stabilizer (or both). It won't eliminate shake from a boat, but it will alleviate it.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have tried monopod .... it was worse .. transfers vibrations of the boat.

I then bought a "Smoothshot Video Stabilizer" http://www.smoothshot.co.uk/shop/steadicam-stabilizer/ so far been unsuccessful as when boat is moving teh wind (~25-35mph) simply blows the camera around on the swivel.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You can use VirtualDub plugins in AviSynth but you have to convert to RGB32 before calling them.

Code:
    LoadVirtualDubPlugin("c:\Program files\VirtualDub\plugins\PluginName.vdf", "AvsName") 
    AviSource("filename.avi") 
    ConvertToRGB32(interlaced=true|false)
    AvsName(arguments...)
    ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true|false)
    But DeShaker.vdf is one of the harder ones to call because you need to supply so many arguments. You can use File -> Save Processing Settings to get a list of all the arguments but they aren't named so it's tedious figuring out which is which.

It's much easier to use the native DePan filter in AviSynth.

I don't know what DePan filter is ............. in any event what I'm looking for is a way to stabilize the video ............. welcome suggestions to best way ... only mentioned DeShaker as I used it once before.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    Because your source is interlaced, you'll have to de-interlace it prior to using DeShaker. Have a read in this post:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/366677-Best-way-to-Re-encode-Canon-5D-mov-file-afte...=1#post2346689

How do you know my source is interlaced ? ............ not arguing the point just keen to know how you can tell.
    Mediainfo, gspot etc. don't identify this
    Quote Quote  
  8. I looked up my notes form when I last used DeShaker ... al I have is:

>Load avi file into VD
    >Add DeShaker filter
    >File > run Video Analysis
    >Add filter again [pass 2] - select Adaptive Zoom, no borders
    Disable [pass1]

Where would all the settings have been loaded from, I have no notes that I did that ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Tafflad View Post

How do you know my source is interlaced ? ............ not arguing the point just keen to know how you can tell.
    Mediainfo, gspot etc. don't identify this

You can tell because you said so in the first post

Unless that "i" was a typo ?

Originally Posted by Tafflad View Post

In case it is relevant to answer the raw footage is 1920 x 1080i 50fps PAL
    Quote Quote  
  10. It was a typo .... don't know why I added an 'i'
    How can I tell if source is interlaced - I would assume that HD video would not be interlaced .... it would be 1080p
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can use mediainfo to tell you...

If you are looking for alternatives, then give ffmpeg a try: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/368117-Batch-stabilize-script-for-ffmpeg
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  12. So it does ... I had read on a post here that Mediainfo & GSPOT could not do this - and you had to open in VD and examine for comb artefacts .... must have referred to older version.

I'm looking for a solution that I can use on the MP4 files .... any help appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  13. There is no single "best" . Some are better than others at different aspects

deshaker is still one of the best SW stabilizers overall, and free

prodad mercalli is excellent as well and has better rolling shutter correction (most common modern cameras these days have a CMOS "wobble" or jelly effect when you shake, or vibrate the camera, or move too quickly)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a ffmpeg batch script to stabilize a whole folder of MP4's. Just edit the path to ffmpeg.

Code:
    SET PATH="C:\FFMpeg\64-bit"
    for %%a in ("*.mp4") do ffmpeg -i %%a -vf vidstabdetect=shakiness=10:accuracy=15:result="%%~na.trf":show=0 -an -f null NUL
    for %%a in ("*.mp4") do ffmpeg -i %%a -vf vidstabtransform=crop=black:input="%%~na.trf" -c:v libx264 -level 41 -pix_fmt yuv420p -g 12 -crf 19 -c:a copy "stabil_%%~na.mp4"

pause
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Tafflad View Post
    So it does ... I had read on a post here that Mediainfo & GSPOT could not do this - and you had to open in VD and examine for comb artefacts .... must have referred to older version.

I'm looking for a solution that I can use on the MP4 files .... any help appreciated

Yes that will work, if you ensure that the decoding pathway is non deinterlacing (you don't have a deinterlacing filter applied somewhere, like ffdshow or lav if using directshow) . You can open MP4 in vdub with the ffinputdriver, or quicktime import plugin , or directshow input driver

Another "easy" option is avidemux which will open them natively
    Quote Quote  
  16. I did try VD and DeShaker a few times .... even did a few compares for as video of a friend:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAXOQmTTV9Y

That is a typical example of the problem.

In the post that was referenced above #2 there were loads of settings being talked about ......... I didn't do any of that, does that mean this could be improved with a settings file ?
    I had started by following steps here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CkgKEl6960

Jagabo got me working at the time by advising to use 'play' rather than run as shown in video.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Tafflad View Post
    I did try VD and DeShaker a few times .... even did a few compares for as video of a friend:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAXOQmTTV9Y

That is a typical example of the problem.
    YT says "this video is private"...
    Quote Quote  
  18. It was set to public ... but I think the link I gave was from within a group.
    So I have just set it to 'public' and provide new link does it play now ?

https://youtu.be/dAXOQmTTV9Y
    Last edited by Tafflad; 29th Jun 2015 at 14:05.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Yes, it plays now.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Guys ... any feedback/suggestion on which approach to use for removing the shake ?
    The sample in post #18 is typical of the shake .. and it does show what I obtained with DeShaker

I'm happy to use DeShaker ... but is there a settings file I should (or could) be using ?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Also, in the future, assuming you intend to do more shooting in this scenario, you may also want to invest in either a monopod, or a mini-glidecam stabilizer (or both). It won't eliminate shake from a boat, but it will alleviate it.
    Ditto!

Quote Quote  
  22. Monopod was useless ... on photography forum they advised monpod simply transmits all hull vibrations to camera.
    Isolation is better approach.

I did then buy a stabilizer see response in post #5
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Regarding shakiness & stability:

Just like with old LPs, there are mainly big, low-frequency movements and smaller, high-frequency movements. WoW and Flutter, if you will.

The kind of movement that exists when shooting on a boat is a combination of individual movements:
    1. The bounce of the boat on the waves/wake/water - a WoW movement.
    2. The vibration of the boat's motor - a Flutter movement.
    3. The shake of the camera operator's own body shiftings - an in-between movement.

Rigidly linking the stabilizer to the boat's hull would mimimize #3, but would accentuate/mimic #1 and #2 (as you described).
    Using a monopod/tripod without rigidly linking it, however, such as when using sandbags or aircushions, would lessen (but not as fully as previously) #3, and it would mimic #1, but it would also lessen #2.

A gimballed stabilizer (that was weight balanced) in the hands of a practiced camera operator, should nearly eliminate #3 and probably #2, and would lessen #1. The wind problem you mentioned is mainly a symptom of a not-properly-weight-balanced system (the wind should equally affect both the part above the gimbal as well as below unless the torque was off or there was a micro-differential in the wind strength based on height).

Gyro-stabilizing added to a gimballed stabilizer would add a small amount of flutter (due to the gyros motors), but should lessen even further both #1 & #3. Using a vest/armature suspension would also distribute the weight better AND provide a more solid yet isolated connection to the hull (due to the body mass cushioning).

But, of course, that's a LOT of additional equipment ($$).

Another option is the 2-handled shoulder rig. It lessens #3 & #2, but doesn't do much for #1.

I would strongly suggest revisiting this using one of those 2 underlined options.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  24. Thanks for detailed post ....
    WoW - Flutter & Shake ...... sounds like a new dance craze.

I do have and did try a monopod, even against a padded cushion to reduce vibration ... there was still significant vibration effectively like camera was going over corrugations.

Have now bought a stabilizer that I will try tomorrow night ..... have accurately set up weights (much more weight) ........ the problem we had trying this previously was that boat fro example is travelling towards North ... so subject is effectively moving between SW and SE ...
    There were cross winds .. that acted on one side of boat only that caused the whole stabilizer to yaw around the gimbal ... so we could not keep subject in frame.

Yes I would love one of these ...
    http://freeflysystems.com/products/movi/m10/

but way too expensive for me ... and only using video mode on my Canon Digital stills camera, so a a bit mismatched.

or maybe when it is released one of these ..

ttps://youtu.be/4vGcH0Bk3hg

Until then ............. would still like to know if there are any settings files I could be using for DeShaker
    Last edited by Tafflad; 1st Jul 2015 at 05:34.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by Tafflad View Post
    would still like to know if there are any settings files I could be using for DeShaker
    No. You need to set it up for a particular video.
    Quote Quote  
  26. How do I do that ..........
    how do I know what to set ?

Previously I just followed your comments ... #9 on this post https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/365404-Trying-to-use-DeShaker-with-VD-and-failing

I can't recall using any settings ... hence why I'm trying to find out now what I should be using.
    Last edited by Tafflad; 1st Jul 2015 at 07:17.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I did a bit of looking around .... and came across this video guide on using DeShaker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og4bVk6V7X8

which does give me some advice on settings.

Would one of you guys who have the experience - take a look and see if all the steps are logical and correct ?
    It all looks easy enough to follow (if its right)
    Last edited by Tafflad; 1st Jul 2015 at 07:19.
    Quote Quote  
  28. There's no need to add multiple instances of the Deshake filter. After pass 1 just change to pass 2 in the one instance. With really shaky video you need to crank up the motion smoothness and max correction settings. He didn't discuss the border fill options much. But those are up to your preferences.
    Quote Quote  
  29. I just tried it on some of last weekends footage... and the output was much worse that the original ...........even with max correction
    Perhaps it simply can't handle that much judder
    Quote Quote  
  30. It sounds to me like you didn't run both passes. Or messed something up between the two passes.

The biggest problem with deshaking is motion blur. When you see shaky video you don't notice the motion blur much or you expect to see it because of all the motion. But after deshaking you still have blurry video and it appears to blurry for no reason.
    Quote Quote