VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    as for the deinterlacing of the other one.
    Originally Posted by aedipuss
    what did you deinterlace with???
    It's not interlaced - it's progressive content (IVTC it)
    it's 29.97p not 29.97i so it can't be ivtc'd to 24p

Yes you can - it's progressive content , but encoded with intact fields, so you IVTC it (it's same thing as "24p in 59.94i" aka hard telecine)

As for the weird resolution on the 1st sample, I have no idea
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by henryperu77 View Post
    aedipuss it doesnt matter, thats not a problem.., i can ivtc easily.. the main problem was that annoying vertical artifact.. -_-

i'm with corny. until it's captured and processed properly there isn't an artifact, just human errors. at this end we can only see what you post.

anyway, looking at the ant video, it appears to be an old worn second or third generation copy. i see the vertical lines but can't identify a single cause. lots of color shifting from generation loss though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-00015.png
Views:	438
Size:	548.3 KB
ID:	13479
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. My friend, the "jerry lewis" umatic is a master tape provided from original distributor.
    It has all the original labels.

I can't assure if anyway it could be a bad copy of the real master tape but at least is a real official tape from distributor.

Regards!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hello again,

attached you can find a clip, captured in 720x480.
    The video firstly was paused in order to show you the "vertical lines" that we are discussing and later i just let the video to continue playing normally.. you can notice the "vibrating vertical lines" during pause, looks later like a "boundaries" during normal playing.

If someone can give me a hand in order to get a better picture quality (even in pause) to get those "vertical lines" out of the image.

Just to remark, the umatic player used is the Sony BVU-950 (with TBC and DNR boards)

Thanks for your replies.

Regards!
    Bellower
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. ^ yes, when it's paused signal is oscillating. Very bad. But oscillations are better when not paused

Are there 3 different people here in this thread with 3 different machines ? And they all do that ?

This sample is much better for showing the "vertical lines". To me it still looks like some sort of edge enhancement or sharpening

You could use dehalo filters , line thinners for processing it after the fact and it might work ok on animation content (not very well for live action or like the 1st screenshot) - but I suspect there should be something you can fiddle with in the hardware. Did you try pm'ing filmboss80 ? He seems to have experience with this model
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 17th Aug 2012 at 17:27.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks poisondeathray for your reply

I've attached a second clip from another umatic tape just to help to anyone who wants to contribute to find the solution to the issues on the image, the "vertical lines" are still present in this second tape as you can notice.

let me know your thoughts..

regards
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. I've only seen the MPG file but it looks like a poor comb filter to me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    are you sure you aren't using poor quality video cables or have them routed near ac lines. a paused video shouldn't "vibrate".
    --
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    are you sure you aren't using poor quality video cables or have them routed near ac lines. a paused video shouldn't "vibrate".
    Hi, i'v used professional BNC cables, provided by one of the official Sony representative for broadcast & profesional video in my country, even i've tried "monster cables" with BNC plug.
    In both cases i got the same quality picture.

About the AC lines, i'm using the own umatic power cable.
    The umatic is 110V (USA) and i have to transform the voltage to 220V with a power adapter that i have used before with other video equipments. Only in umatic I got the quality picture that you can notice in the attahced files from my previous posts. So I don't think this is a "ac line" issue.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  10. It's obviously not a line noise or cable noise issue. The problem only occurs at colored edges. That's a dead giveaway that it's a comb filter problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    so you're in a country with 220 50htz power? it's possible it's a electrical problem with the current conversion. the umatic is old and the capacitors may be weak and not able to cope with non sine wave 110 60htz power.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    so you're in a country with 220 50htz power? it's possible it's a electrical problem with the current conversion. the umatic is old and the capacitors may be weak and not able to cope with non sine wave 110 60htz power.
    I already sent the equipment to a official Sony technical service, they even showed me that the equipment has "200 hours of use" but the HEADER has "2 hours of use".. that means that the equipment was only used for its internal boards (TBC and DNR) to pass a Video In singal through it.
    The "player" itself was actually never used and it looked almost new.

Do you have any other suggestion?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    No comment on anything else, but capacitors do age and dry regardless whether the equipment is used or not.

edit: Also every Sony BVU-950 era deck I've seen, including one BVU-950, has their counter battery died/replaced ages ago and it's not reliable.
    Last edited by juhok; 18th Aug 2012 at 13:43.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by juhok View Post
    No comment on anything else, but capacitors do age and dry regardless whether the equipment is used or not.

edit: Also every Sony BVU-950 era deck I've seen, including one BVU-950, has their counter battery died/replaced ages ago and it's not reliable.
    So, what's your recommendation my friend? what can i do to get a better picture quality from it? even when i have a umatic player with its TBC and DNR board.. I'm just waiting for the external TBC remote control in order to get more features to be configurable and check if that do something on the quality

this is the remote that i bought

Name:	ML13820.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	13562

Hope it helps me to get a better picture quality.

Thanks for your replies.

regards
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    BVU-950P I used about a year ago didn't exhibit this behavior with the few tapes used. Have you tested the tapes with another machine to verify that it's not burned in? Have you tried without TBC and NR boards, how does it look like then?
    Quote Quote  
  16. The problem isn't the player. It's the capture card's poor comb filter.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The problem isn't the player. It's the capture card's poor comb filter.
    Hello, the capture card is the Blackmagic Decklink Studio 2.
    As I know this capture card has been used even in professional video jobs.
    The input/output diagram is as follow:

Name:	DecklinkStudio2.PNG
Views:	1655
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	13563
    Quote Quote  
  18. And all that money didn't go into the comb filter.
    Quote Quote  
  19. So what do you suggest?

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    And all that money didn't go into the comb filter.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    And all that money didn't go into the comb filter.
    Just one extra information, I've already connected to umatic video-out to a Monitor (those one that used in Tv Stations). It was a Sony Monitor, and I even noticed the "vertical lines" on that screen.

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    I can confirm that Blackmagic Decklink Studio cards have a very bad comb filter. Also all my professional VTRs which at one time cost more than a car have had crappy filters. Being professional product is not a guarantee of a good comb filter. I got no experience with Sony monitors but there's no compelling reason to assume it's very good either in that regard (if not stated otherwise in the specs).
    Quote Quote  
  22. For composite video try an inexpensive capture device with a 3d comb filter.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    For composite video try an inexpensive capture device with a 3d comb filter.
    Can you kindly recommend me a good one?
    thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by Bellower View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    For composite video try an inexpensive capture device with a 3d comb filter.
    Can you kindly recommend me a good one?
    I don't keep track of SD analog capture device these days. The old ATI 650 based products had a good 3d comb filter and sharp captures.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/313735-Capture-card-for-Laserdisc-and-VHS-Good-card...=1#post1940519

But they also have problems with their automatic gain control which can't be disabled.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/326560-Which-is-better-usb-stick-vhs-cap-or-hd-pvr-...=1#post2023227

Unfortunate since they were great otherwise. They were also picky about driver versions.

I've seen some of the Avermedia cards advertise a 3d comb filter. I've never used one though.
    Quote Quote