VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a number of 'split' DVD's (in the original vob format) that I want to convert to a single mp4. I already converted most of these to mp4's, I just need to join them.

I have spent part of a day trying to find a somewhat simple 'Joiner'/'Merge' program, but couldn't.
    I thought MP4Tools was it, but after wasting an hour I now find out it's only a 'Wintel' program, no AMD which is BS. It would of been the ideal program except for the authors narrow-mindedness.

Most of the basic 'video editors' don't seem to have a 'join' option that I could see. I did try Movavi, but the resulting file was humongous. The two test files I was 'joining' were only around 850MB, but the end result, even after using a 'custom' resolution (716x366), the resulting size was 1.4GB, almost twice the size. No idea why.

Any suggestions? I really don't need a full editor.
    Last edited by videobruce; 4th Apr 2019 at 09:07. Reason: clarified text
    Why are ones and zeros so complicated? Linear Video Editing was easier. Downloading & streaming are two different things.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TMPGEnc Smart Renderer (payware, with trial)
    Totally worth it.
    Can also fix constant audio skew.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
    I have a number of 'split' DVD's (vob's) that I want to convert to a single mp4. I already converted most of these to mp4's, I just need to join them.

I have spent part of a day trying to find a somewhat simple 'Joiner'/'Merge' program, but couldn't.
    I thought MP4Tools was it, but after wasting an hour I now find out it's only a 'Wintel' program, no AMD which is BS. It would of been the ideal program except for the authors narrow-mindedness.

Most of the basic 'video editors' don't seem to have a 'join' option that I could see. I did try Movavi, but the resulting file was humongous. The two test files I was 'joining' were only around 850MB, but the end result, even after using a 'custom' resolution (716x366), the resulting size was 1.4GB, almost twice the size. No idea why.

Any suggestions? I really don't need a full editor.

Have you tried Avidemux?

Or FFmpeg?

Code:
    ffmpeg -f concat -i list.txt -c copy joined.mp4
    List.txt should contain a list of the files you want to join, like this:

file 'file1'
    file 'file2'
    file 'file3'
    file 'file4'
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
    I have a number of 'split' DVD's (vob's) that I want to convert to a single mp4. I already converted most of these to mp4's, I just need to join them.
    VOBs on DVD are split after 1 GB on a binary level. It is recommended you first append the VOBs (e.g. using ffmpeg's "concat protocol" *), then convert to whatever you want. Otherwise you risk problems at the split points.

* (You can read about ffmpeg's appending modes ("concat demuxer" as mentioned by sfu10 vs. "concat protocol") here.)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by sfu10 View Post

Have you tried Avidemux?
    For simple splitting/joining of similar type files, this would be my recommendation as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can "concatenate" them too. In a DOS window. I just don't remember how to do it. I did do it myself before, so I know its doable. Heck yeah, theres no reencoding either.

Thats one of the reasons why Mpeg2 is an excellent editing format.
    Last edited by budwzr; 6th Feb 2019 at 15:55.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Avidemux is a great tool for doing this, but it only merges video and audio components. Is there a way to include the chapters and chapter names that may exist in the separate files?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
    VOBs on DVD are split after 1 GB on a binary level. It is recommended you first append the VOBs (e.g. using ffmpeg's "concat protocol" *), then convert to whatever you want. Otherwise you risk problems at the split points.
    Sorry, apparently I never received notice of any of these replies.

I should of made it clearer that when I stated "vob's" I was referring the the DVD format, not the individual vob files within a movie.
    I have started using FormatFactory which seems to be working ok, but I will look into Avidemux.
    Last edited by videobruce; 4th Apr 2019 at 09:36.
    Why are ones and zeros so complicated? Linear Video Editing was easier. Downloading & streaming are two different things.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    STRONGLY recommend you use something like DVDDecrypter (YES, that old program) for this first part.

Reason: most concatenators don't properly match up the PTS/DTS of the streams, so you end up with glitches, especially in the audio. DVDDecrypter, and some other similar apps can read the IFO/BUPs and map the PTS/DTS across the file boundaries throughout the whole length of the title, so you can end up with a single HUGE VOB or MPG, which will convert to your final destination format much more easily and cleanly.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "concatenators" Huh???
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could try TXMUXER using the join feature.
    Quote Quote