VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Very new to converting. But what I am trying to do seems like it would be a very simple task. Not turning out that way.

Some time back I found out that I could play certain file types on my Sony BDP-S480 Blu-Ray player. Put the file on a thumb drive, plug it in the front, It plays. I bought a WD MyBook and put a bunch of video files on it, plug it in the front and I can browse the folders, choose a movie and play it. Most play, some don't.

I decided to convert my entire library from DVDs (and eventually Blu-Rays) to video files to store and play from the WD. I figured all I had to do was record the ISOs, convert them to a format that works and make them all the same. But for some reason It's not working out.

I dowloaded DVDFab8. Decoded and saved about 130 movies. All the files play as DVDs in Windows Media Player. I then downloaded WinX DVD Ripper to convert them to MP4s. I haven't spent any money on programs yet, because, I wanted to see that it worked before buying programs I would get frustrated with, thus wasting my money.

The first and second movies converted fine and play, both in DivX Player and on my Blu-Ray. The third movie will not play on either. The DivX tells me, "Player does not recognize this container format. Additional Software is required to play," and the Sony bdp-S480 tells me the file is corrupt. All three movies display the same information in WinX (720x480 NTSC 16:9 AC3 6ch). I didn't change anything from the WinX default settings under "to MP4" (128kbps, 48000 audio rate, AAC 6CH, 1800Kbps Vid Qual, 29.97 Frame rate, MPEG4 format, Custom Size and Keep Aspect Ratio 720x404)

I can't figure out why all three movies show the same information, are converted with the exact same settings, but two will convert and play fine and the third will not. I've repeated this three times on each video to the same result.

How can you figure out what part of the DVD movie or conversion is causing the problem?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome to the Forum, and welcome to the wonders, and frustrations behind video.

Originally Posted by slotpilot
    I can't figure out why all three movies show the same information, are converted with the exact same settings, but two will convert and play fine and the third will not. I've repeated this three times on each video to the same result.
    At first, I won't say you did something different in the third encode. I'd say you have a different source you're working with in the third DvD or ISO.

Check the settings of the source of the third one. It could be anything: the way the DvD was originally encoded (BFF, TFF), the audio, the bitrate, different frame rate, fps, resolution, aspect ratio, PAL/NTSC, anything different from the first two that may be throwing off your encoder's settings.

As well, maybe backup and look at the way you converted it to ISO. Did you do something different in this procedure with the third one? I'd say start all three again from the DvD, not the ISO, and see if this is a problem.

If you have MediaInfo, maybe you can post the output in text mode of the three different ISOs. There could be some pertinent info there.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use handbrake or vidcoder to convert the files to mp4,much better than the crappy WinX DVD Ripper.I use handbrake to convert my dvds after ripping with dvdfab and never get any error messages with my sony bdp-s380.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Use handbrake or vidcoder to convert the files to mp4,much better than the crappy WinX DVD Ripper.I use handbrake to convert my dvds after ripping with dvdfab and never get any error messages with my sony bdp-s380.
    Yes, I agree WinX is likely garbage, and I do like HandBrake, but I was trying to avoid telling the O/P the standard "use other software", in this case the encoder.

But I do suggest the O/P look into the source of the third encode first. This problem may translate to HandBrake as well.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The problem might have been brought on by the crappy encoder so encoding the original dvd rip with handbrake or vidcoder should fix the problem.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    The problem might have been brought on by the crappy encoder so encoding the original dvd rip with handbrake or vidcoder should fix the problem.
    Well you made your point.

To the O/P: care to try different software? HandBrake is really very good, and WinX is not something most regulars here would use anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post
    As well, maybe backup and look at the way you converted it to ISO. Did you do something different in this procedure with the third one? I'd say start all three again from the DvD, not the ISO, and see if this is a problem.
    Sorry, I failed to mention that I had done this. Method and settings for ISO conversion were exact as well. Though you did give a clue, DVD coding (BFF,TFF). I didn't know to check or how, what software will do this?

Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post
    If you have MediaInfo, maybe you can post the output in text mode of the three different ISOs. There could be some pertinent info there.
    Do I run this on the completed converstions or somewhere else in the process?

I had used Handbrake a while back but before I started ISO conversion. Not sure what I was using it for but it didn't fit my application. I lost it in a HD crash and never reinstalled. I'm doing so now, maybe this will correct the problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by slotpilot View Post
    Sorry, I failed to mention that I had done this. Method and settings for ISO conversion were exact as well. Though you did give a clue, DVD coding (BFF,TFF).
    It really could be anything, and there must be something different about the third disc that is throwing off WinX.

I didn't know to check or how, what software will do this?

Do I run this on the completed converstions or somewhere else in the process?
    MediaInfo is free, and very handy software - it lists lots of important info about lots of video formats. Once installed, you can choose to have it in your right-click shell options, or you can just open up the tool, and load video into it, all kinds: VIDEO_TS folders, VOBs, ISOs, .mpg, .mp4, lots.

I prefer looking at the info in Text Mode. (View->Text)

Try it and see if there's anything different on the third disc. Or you can post some output here.

Another good tool for video info is GSpot.

I had used Handbrake a while back but before I started ISO conversion. Not sure what I was using it for but it didn't fit my application. I lost it in a HD crash and never reinstalled. I'm doing so now, maybe this will correct the problem.
    I can't say it will or won't correct the problem at this point, but if nothing else works then HandBrake is indeed worth a try. It's an established good tool, and has expanded on its input scope as well over the years.
    Quote Quote  
  9. OK, got by that hurdle. Now I have a problem with some videos coming out extremely blocky. I believe the problem to be 640x480 in the file tab in handbrake. But there's not way to change this. I went back and checked the rip and made sure it was ripping to 100% quality of the disc but still no change. The settings I have available without making the converted file unreadable with the Sony BD player are limited. Not sure how to change the quality.

What I have to do to make it readable is change from h.264 to FFmpeg4 and ACC to AC3 5.1. I have to stick with these settings or it corrupts the file.Name:  blocky.jpg
Views: 1171
Size:  9.1 KB
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried both mp4 and mkv with h264 on your sony bd player? I wouldn't use ffmpeg4...

Or else try increase the video bitrate or change the quality value(=bigger output file size). Under the video tab. Or maybe try convert to avi with xvid using handbrake 0.9.3.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!