VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I'm trying to change my Hauppauge HDPVR2 recordings (.TS) to an MP4 container (without re-encoding, just so the video editors I use that don't support TS very well can open it). HDPVR2's own MP4 output seemed to be lower quality than TS. Unfortunately I always seem to end up with audio sync issues.

Things I've tried:

Copy with FFMPEG
    ffmpeg -y -i "Test.ts" -i "Test.ts" -vcodec copy -acodec copy -f mp4 "Test.mp4"

Demuxing the TS and Remuxing as MP4 with FFMPEG using the following commands:
    http://www.simonbrenner.org/Special_Blog?id=11

Saving it as an MP4 with AAC audio codec as this thread suggested:
    http://askubuntu.com/a/171628

TS copy to MP4 with FFMPEG:
    ffmpeg -f mpegts -i "Test.TS" -copyinkf -c:v copy -copyts -c:a copy -avoid_negative_ts 1 -bsf:a aac_adtstoasc -movflags faststart "Test.mp4"

With the last one the first few minutes seemed synced and I thought I'd cracked it but then the audio cut out completely. Also VLC incorrectly shows the length of the video as 4 hours instead of 50 minutes and won't scan through the video.

Thanks for any help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I only have one short (15 min) HDPVR2 video on my computer right now but this seems to work without A/V sync problems:

Code:
    "g:\program files\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg" -i %1 -vcodec copy -acodec copy -absf aac_adtstoasc "%~d1%~p1%~n1.mp4"
    That's a batch file onto which you can drag/drop files, or put in you SendTo folder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Video redo plus
    will open and edit mts files, no need to change to mp4 before editing
    i use it to edit the files from my "home Worx" PVR
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    Video redo plus
    Thank you, yeah I guess that is an option. Hoping to still use my current video editor but I'll definitely consider it as it seems a lot of people do use it.

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I only have one short (15 min) HDPVR2 video on my computer right now but this seems to work without A/V sync problems:
    Code:
    "g:\program files\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg" -i %1 -vcodec copy -acodec copy -absf aac_adtstoasc "%~d1%~p1%~n1.mp4"
    That's a batch file onto which you can drag/drop files, or put in you SendTo folder.
    Thank you for the help, I thought that had done it but it seems that after 3:57 the audio completely cuts out, it's very strange.
    I tried with a different video and it seemed to work fine, audio didn't cut out, but then I tried it with another and the audio cut out after a second...
    They were all recorded with the same settings though.

EDIT: Ah, I think I finally solved it! This seems to work:

Code:
    "c:\program files\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg"  -i %1 -async 1 -y -vcodec copy -acodec copy -threads 2 "%~d1%~p1%~n1.mp4"
    Thank you very much for the batch file code to work with, it's a lot more convenient to be able to drag and drop files onto instead of what I was doing before.
    Last edited by renarayne; 16th Jul 2015 at 09:29.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by renarayne View Post
    Video redo plus
    Thank you, yeah I guess that is an option. Hoping to still use my current video editor but I'll definitely consider it as it seems a lot of people do use it.
    If you decide to try VideoReDo, VideoReDo Plus won't work with H.264/AVC recordings. It is strictly for MPEG-2 video. I had to upgrade from VideoReDo Plus to VideoReDo TV Suite H.264 when I bought a Hauppauge Colossus.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by renarayne View Post
    EDIT: Ah, I think I finally solved it! This seems to work:

Code:
    "c:\program files\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg"  -i %1 -async 1 -y -vcodec copy -acodec copy -threads 2 "%~d1%~p1%~n1.mp4"
    Thank you very much for the batch file code to work with, it's a lot more convenient to be able to drag and drop files onto instead of what I was doing before.
    Thanks for that. I'll add it to my collection of ffmpeg examples.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No problem.
    It seems I spoke too soon though. The videos no longer have sync issues when playing in video players (VLC, Media Player Classic etc.) but when taking it into a video editor like Machete, Avidemux etc. the syncing is lost. So I guess the syncing is not a cemented change hm...
    I can use Avidemux's Audio Shift option, as the desync is consistent, but that means manually adjusting every file.
    Last edited by renarayne; 16th Jul 2015 at 11:53.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you index the file from inside avidemux using the dgi index option
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you index the file from inside avidemux using the dgi index option
    No, I've just been dragging and dropping the video onto the Avidemux window to open it and it doesn't ask me anything.
    How would I go about using the DGI Index option please?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    looks like i put my foot in it..

i just looked in the new 64 bit version and can't find it

i know on some previous version it was there and available

it would open automatically if the file was mpeg and could be opened manually for other files
    now it appears to be gone

i'm sorry i spoke up to soon..i should have checked before suggesting
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    looks like i put my foot in it..

i just looked in the new 64 bit version and can't find it

i know on some previous version it was there and available

it would open automatically if the file was mpeg and could be opened manually for other files
    now it appears to be gone

i'm sorry i spoke up to soon..i should have checked before suggesting

Oh, no need to apologise. I mean you don't really expect programs to remove useful features after all haha. For example there's another version of Avidemux with a filter for reversing a video backwards that worked fine and that was also taken out in a later version. I'll keep an eye out for that older version you mentioned.
    Quote Quote