VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I shoot on sony's a77. Everytime I switch cards and format my a77 starts counting again at 0. So if during the course of a day I fill up 10 cards, all the files on each card will have the same name making editing according to when the shots were taken an exercise in furstration. I need a way to be able to take these files and put them all in one folder and rename them according to their timestamp. Does anyone have a clue how to do this or something like this that'll allow me to be able to access my files according to when they were shot? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Do the files not have a date and time assigned to them at time of writing that shows up in Windows Explorer in the "Date Modified" column that you can simply use to rename the files manually, or are you not viewing them in Windows?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm viewing them in my NLE sony vegas. At the moment I order them in separate folders name card 1, card 2 etc... But I can't ever put them in the same folder because it'll rename the files, yes, but has no logic to it. Remember, I'm using multiple cameras.
    Quote Quote  
  4. When my frieds using other cameras import into the same folders the file naming doesn't reset, so it's just one after another. This is a huge advantage. I need to figure out how to get my files organized by time. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    have you checked the manual? most cameras have file naming options in their setup menus.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have checked the manual AND the camera. File structure is set to series as it should be. There isn't an individual setting for video files, and this setting only seems to affect picture files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to bulk rename the files in each of the folders so that you can then move them into a common folder, Total Commander has a very effieient and flexable renaming function. It is free with a very simple nag-screen or low cost without it. Has lots! of other uses and I much prefer it to Windows Explorer.
    Andrew Jackson: "It's a poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
    Quote Quote