VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

I have a problem, and i couldn't really figure out where to post it, so here it goes.

I have an external HDD (WD elements 1TB) connected to my TV which i use to watch video content. Alot of the video files are mkv that contain subtitles. So when i play a video file, i open the options menu on my TV, and i can select subtitles 'ON' and if there are multiple, i can choose the language. This has worked properly for me until i bought this new WD Elements HDD.

I noticed that some video files often freeze for a few seconds, when i have subtitles 'ON'. However, when i put subtitles 'OFF' the freeze is gone and the file plays 100% properly. I don't think it has to do with bitrate or file size since other files with subtitles work perfectly with way higher bitrate than some that have the problem. I don't really know what causes this... All the files are MKV by the way.

Help anyone?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried a re-format of the HDD? Maybe worth a try.

But others here may have some better ideas.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. 1. Are you sure the cause is your new HDD? Maybe it's a coincidence. Copy one of the problematic files onto your old HDD and test that.
    2. What is the format of the problematic subtitles? ASS subtitles can be very complex, maybe your player is CPU is too slow for that.
    2. Are they muxed the same? Try remuxing with and without some of mkvmerge's compatibility options (see faq)
    Quote Quote