VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey!

I encoded a movie using FFMPEGX and it created a MUXed MPEG-2 file. Only problem is, when i go to import it into DVDSP it gives me an "unknown file" error. Won't let me import it, even though it plays back in QT just fine.

Anything I can do to solve this? I'd just change the type/creator codes but I don't see any reason to; the file shows up as a QT file.

I just want to burn this file to DVD with a few markers. That's it. If there is an easier way than DVDSP, i'd be willing to take that route.

Anyone?

TIA
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dude you gotta demux the file.. dvd studio pro doesnt accept muxed tracks.. use bbdmux or mpgtx to seperate the audio and video.. then you can import into dvd studio pro....also dragging files into the assets window in dvd sp is much more forgiving then importing through the menus.
    As below, so above and beyond, I imagine
    drawn outside the lines of reason.
    Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition leaving all these opportunities behind.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, so now I'm encoding the file without Muxing it. I had to re-encode because the first time, I didnt encode the video with DVD resolution specs. ( ie, did something like 320X240 instead of whatever the DVD standard is )

Only thing i'm worried about: This movie is encoded at 25 FPS. I wanted to keep that so that I wouldnt have to do any re-syncing...don't want to have to worry about that. However, I wanted to author a NTSC disc, so I selected the NTSC DVD resolution. I'm wondering though, if I go to create an NTSC DVD with my 25 fps movie file ( which is NOT the specified frame rate for NTSC ), will DVDSP not let me do that?

It'd seem silly, because the original film is 25 fps...which means if DVDSP wont take that as NTSC, I can only make a PAL DVD, or I have to completely resync the audio.

If that's the case, this is bullshit.

TIA!

kami
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    lol.. No you DONT have to re-encode it.. if you already encoded it just demultiplex the files, i think you are misunderstanding what im trying to tell you, also if you the video is 25 fps and you have an NTSC setup after burning it will not work properly, you need to change teh size and the frame rate to be NTSC compliant... no you dont need to worry about re-syncing.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition leaving all these opportunities behind.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So..you're saying if I've got an MPEG-4, and I go to encode it to MPEG-2, and I change the frame rate, that the encoder will automatically adjust the length of the audio track so that it matches the video track, hence, is in sync?

That's a helluva lot easier.

Also, is 576 X 252 a PAL standard? I'm wondering if it might be easier for me to just make a PAL DVD, but would it play on a north american TV and DVD player? I know they're just resolution and frame rate specs, but I could see there being an incompatibility.

TIA
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if you use apples mpeg-2 encoder and encode in NTSC format it will make all the necessary adjustments to the video to make it NTSC compliant.. if you author a PAL dvd and try to play it on your NTSC player it will NOT work properly.. it will be in black and white and will constanlty be flipping up and down ... totally unwatchable. the ONLY time you can play PAL video on a NTSC dvd player is with VCD/SVCD/CVD/KVD etc.. but not PAL DVDs.

Quote Quote  
  7. However, you can get players that play PAL. I was using the trick to change SVCDs to DVD and all that, and the result would be a PAL DVD (dimensions are the same as the SVCD though, so it is not a true dvd format). Anyway, my panosonic wouldn't play it of course, so I got a $50 Apex from Walmart (1110W or something like that), and it plays pal dvds. I know some other people that have Apex that will do the same. For being an inexpensive player it sure does a lot. So if you are just having home use for your dvds get an apex and same some hassle. But if you want to share with friends/family, and fun transcoding and all that.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i do NOT EVER suggest buying an apex player.. they are cheap for a reason.. they are poorly built and they suck.. i had three apex players (all from different stores) before my current dvd player and they ALL sucked worse than ANYTHING i've ever had..(i would say including a PC if i ever was stupid enough to buy a PC)- even if its 50$ i would say its a waste

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bilestyle
    i do NOT EVER suggest buying an apex player.. they are cheap for a reason.. they are poorly built and they suck.. i had three apex players (all from different stores) before my current dvd player and they ALL sucked worse than ANYTHING i've ever had..(i would say including a PC if i ever was stupid enough to buy a PC)- even if its 50$ i would say its a waste
    Really? Ive had a Apex 1100W which worked GREAT! only got rid of it because i was pissed I had to get up and put the 2nd disk in when watching SVCD's

now i have the APEX 5131, and cant say anything against it! True, its not my only dvd player, but it does just what i want it to without a single problem
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    also if you the video is 25 fps and you have an NTSC setup after burning it will not work properly, you need to change teh size and the frame rate to be NTSC compliant... no you dont need to worry about re-syncing.
    This is not the case. If you want to use the NTSC setting in DVD Studio Pro but some (or all) of your content is PAL, just make a MENU and use an image that is NTSC spec. Furthermore, make this menu your startup item, and you're good to go.

I did this myself last weekend and it worked fine, so I'm not speaking in theory here.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well i dont know im not going to waste any more dvds to find out whether or not PAL material will work.. and if you have an NTSC setup and need to re-encodes the video to be DVD compliant anyways... why risk it? why not just make it NTSC and avoid any bizarre methods to get it to work.

Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well i dont know im not going to waste any more dvds to find out whether or not PAL material will work.. and if you have an NTSC setup and need to re-encodes the video to be DVD compliant anyways... why risk it? why not just make it NTSC and avoid any bizarre methods to get it to work.
    Re-encoding already compliant material is a waste of time. The DVD spec covers PAL as well as NTSC. If your NTSC television was manufactured anytime between the early 1990s and now, it will display PAL material just fine ... Just make sure you set your DVD player's setting from NTSC to AUTO, so that it automatically adjusts the PAL picture and framerate to your NTSC tv.
    Quote Quote