VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there,

I have been given a number of MP4 files to drop onto a memory stick and display on a foyer TV.
    Works fine, but the audio volumes across these clips are all over the place, so picking a middle of the road volume on the TV, some are inaudible and some are deafening.

Is there a way I can run something against all of these small clips to get the volume at the same level on all of them?

Cheers
    James
    Quote Quote  
  2. If the MP4s contain MP3 or AAC audio, you can try adjusting the volume losslessly by loading the MP4s into a foobar2000 playlist, highlighting them all, right clicking and selecting "ReplayGain/Scan per file track gain". When the scan is finished, save the track volumes to the files, then right click "ReplayGain/Apply track gain to file content". Foobar2000 is an audio player, but it's okay if the MP4s also contain video.

To change the target volume, it's "Preferences/Tools,ReplayGain Scanner/Alter file content" for the version of foobar2000 I'm using (an older version running on XP). For newer versions I believe it's a pop-up menu when adjusting the volume.

The above method only adjusts the over-all volume for each file (the dynamic range doesn't change) and it only works for MP3 and AAC audio. For other audio types, or to compress the dynamic range, you'll need to re-encode the audio, but try the above method first and post back if that doesn't do the trick.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    If the MP4s contain MP3 or AAC audio, you can try adjusting the volume losslessly by loading the MP4s into a foobar2000 playlist, highlighting them all, right clicking and selecting "ReplayGain/Scan per file track gain". When the scan is finished, save the track volumes to the files, then right click "ReplayGain/Apply track gain to file content". Foobar2000 is an audio player, but it's okay if the MP4s also contain video.

To change the target volume, it's "Preferences/Tools,ReplayGain Scanner/Alter file content" for the version of foobar2000 I'm using (an older version running on XP). For newer versions I believe it's a pop-up menu when adjusting the volume.

The above method only adjusts the over-all volume for each file (the dynamic range doesn't change) and it only works for MP3 and AAC audio. For other audio types, or to compress the dynamic range, you'll need to re-encode the audio, but try the above method first and post back if that doesn't do the trick.
    Sorry for not replying sooner;

Thanks so much for this, the process worked perfectly!
    All the videos now sound like they are at the same level.

Thanks very much for your advice!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well Hello! I just levelled up a bunch of MP4s with this, thanks a lot, HH.

@James, this didn't show up for me, but I'm using the portable version (v1.6.7):

"Preferences/Tools,ReplayGain Scanner/Alter file content"

Were you able to set a different folder?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Well Hello! I just levelled up a bunch of MP4s with this, thanks a lot, HH.

@James, this didn't show up for me, but I'm using the portable version (v1.6.7):

"Preferences/Tools,ReplayGain Scanner/Alter file content"

Were you able to set a different folder?
    Sorry I'm not sure exactly what you mean?
    I didn't change the target volume, so I only used the "ReplayGain/Scan per file track gain" and "ReplayGain/Apply track gain to file content" options.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, thanks James, I'll have a further play with it.
    Quote Quote