VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Was there ever a DVD - Vhs combo with RF out (mainly thinking Panasonic) that also had Freeview or any extras like HDMI in or out ???
    Quote Quote  
  2. No.

The closest you could get was something like the Panasonic DMR-EX96, 97, 98, 99 etc. These units contained a VCR, DVD writer, and HDD/DVR with Freeview all in one chassis. Later ones included HDMI output.

No brand-name consumer recorder ever offered HDMI input: recording from HDMI is technically frowned upon as unauthorized use, since the entire point of HDMI being developed in the first place was to *prevent* recording in high definition.

I've never run across a dvd recorder that had RF output, only RF passthru. Dvd recorders have line outputs/SCART + HDMI only (there may have been exceptions, but I've never heard of one).

If you must have RF output for some arcane reason, you can add that feature to any recorder by purchasing a cheap RF modulator. This connects to the recorder SCART outputs and converts them to an RF signal for older televisions. An example would be this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mercury-Universal-Scart-Modulator-ILS102/dp/B004HTFDBQ/ref=sr...s=rf+modulator
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your Reply
    I have Panasonic DMR-ES30v and E55 both DVD recorders have RF output(not just passthrough) I was wondering if maybe some of the later models, maybe EZ47V also have RF output?

or if anyone knows where I might find this info?

Its for distributing via coax various devices, I have the Mercury Modulator but find the picture poor compared to old VCRs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I was thinking in terms of SCART compatibility when I suggested a modulator, but if a recorder you're considering also has standard line outputs (yellow/red/white) you could gain the same functionality by connecting an old VCR to those outputs and using the VCR RF outputs to feed your coax system. Since you seem to like Panasonic RF output, it should be easy enough to find a decent Panasonic VCR and just use that.

Your current Panasonic recorders having RF output is interesting news to me. In USA, most recorders only have RF passthru: they won't play their recordings or internal tuner thru RF. I just double-checked a few Panasonic manuals in my PDF archives, and sure enough, the USA/Canada versions of EZ47V and EZ48V do have RF output modulators! So there's a good chance the UK versions include that feature.

You can confirm by downloading the user/instruction manuals for any recorder you're interested in. Somewhere in the first few pages, there will be an installation guide or connection diagram. If there is mention of an RF output channel setting (as in the Panasonic EZ48v manual), then you'll know it will suit your purpose. If no channel setting, the unit doesn't have RF conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again for your Reply
    I can't find the manual for a Region 2 EZ47V, below is a link for the Region 4 version but I can't see any mention of RF output.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1182305/Panasonic-Dmr-Ez47v.html#manual

Below is a PDF link for the EZ49v Region 2 - again I can't see any info on RF output, maybe I'm blind

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.superfi.co.uk/images...LwD3zRhrq5qune
    Last edited by Guy286; 11th Oct 2017 at 22:12.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You're not blind.

There is no indication in those manuals of any RF output capabilities in these two units. It could very well be that Panasonic is not consistent in implementing this feature model-to-model and region-to-region. As mentioned earlier, I was VERY surprised to find the North American EZ47v *does* have an RF output modulator.

Given the EZ47v is the immediate followup model to your older UK units, it is unlikely the RF output would be restored in any models made after it. So I think your best bet is to buy the newest Panasonic recorder you like, then simply connect one of its outputs to any VCR with a decent RF output. If you don't already have such a VCR, there are plenty being offered second-hand for very little money.
    Quote Quote