VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm wondering if there is any high-quality/transparent proc amps with S-Video that can shift the entire picture over to the right or left a few pixels?
    Quote Quote  
  2. What do you want to achieve? Center the picture on the screen/monitor? Depends on the player, projector etc.
    With MPC-HC you can shift the picture with Ctrl+Num keys, for example.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Analog proc amps do not do this. All they do is Luma Black level (usually called "Setup"), Luma White level (aka "White", "Brightness"), Chroma Saturation, and Chroma Hue (aka "Tint", "Phase").
    To do that in the analog realm requires a DVE mixer/FX board/box.

Of course "pixels" means nothing in the analog realm anyway.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Based on the research I've been doing, it seems like the BVP-4+ is a good proc amp but it has a flaw in that it adds an unremovable vertical line down along the left side of the image that seems to be related to the split screen function. The line is about 16 pixels in or so but in some sources that will actually cover up some of the image. Yes, I know that this can be considered the "overscan" area and all that, but it's still image to me.

For analog sources like VHS that don't really have that much horizontal resolution, is there an analog proc amp that "shrinks" or compresses the image horizontally a little bit so that the leftmost vertical line the BVP-4+ introduces will not overlap with the image. I then then stretch the image back in the digital realm to the proper aspect ratio.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Bearing in mind that we are talking anlaog TV here, firstly, it IS possible to slightly offset the picture within the screen by stretching, shortening or delaying the horizontal sync pulses but the more it is done, the greater the chances of the timebases misinterpreting the pulses becomes.

I would guess the optimal method to remove this line is to extend the horizontal blanking period. This simply makes the black border on the left side a bit wider but doesn't otherwise change the aspect ratio. As the line should be in the blanking period anyway it would not remove any of the picture at all. Electronically it is fairly simple, just switch the video stream to a black level voltage for a short time after the end of each horizontal sync pulse.

Brian.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by betwixt View Post
    Bearing in mind that we are talking anlaog TV here, ....
    Oh I see, means before capturing and converting to digital. Then - in the analog domain - there are no "pixels" to be shifted....

I would guess the optimal method to remove this line is to extend the horizontal blanking period.
    Probably yes.
    Last edited by Sharc; 21st Jan 2022 at 04:46.
    Quote Quote