VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I wish the site had a way for folks to give away extra video gear or computer gear to others (shipping costs only, no selling or schemes allowed).

Maybe even a way for folks to advertise about samples they will give out for free to others. Work they do.

It would clearly have to be open ONLY to established VH members (based on join date and/or post count).

For example, I've had a hard time finding people to take some of my extra equipment (much of it for parts-only or needs-repair stuff, like my old JVC 3800).

This sort of thing would really give it more of a community feel, not a sterile site.

Just a thought.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  2. My wife would be absolutely ecstatic if I could get rid of some the accumulated hardware in my office and garage.

I have put in the garbage items that I know someone could use. No sale, shipping-only giveaway might be a good idea.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    For example, I've had a hard time finding people to take some of my extra equipment (much of it for parts-only or needs-repair stuff, like my old JVC 3800).
    You might consider keeping the 3800 as a replacement parts source for your 9800. Apart from the Dynamic Drum assembly, many of the mechanical transport parts in the 9600, 7600, and 3600 are common. I would expect the same similarity between the 3800 and the 9800.
    Life is better when you focus on the signals instead of the noise.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If anyone has an extra Canon GL2 or something similar lying around I'll take it. :P

I'm trying to figure out some way to come up with about $2000 legitimately to get a GL2. So far my quest is not going well. I'm a broke married man with a 7 month old boy, so my funds have to go to things like mortgage and baby food.

Maybe one day.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    stantheman1976, you need to take a look at http://www.grants.gov/. If you can find a use for a video camera that meets one of their grant requirements, they may pay for it. Environmental grants are one good opportunity. Check your local environmental groups and see what they are doing. An endangered species study with video is one possibility. Or if you are in an urban environment, there are grants through the US Department of Housing and Urban Development. There are many opportunities there, but it's best to work with a group that already has some grant writing experience.

To return to the subject, I end up throwing away usable computer parts all the time. Video cards, SCSI components, etc. We've discussed setting up some sort of trade/sell page here before, but it seems there are quite a few obstacles and other trade/sell sites are already in place, such as something like Craigslist.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe a private* trade/sell forum would work.

* login required and maybe at least 50 posts or something,
    Quote Quote  
  7. I think as soon as you get into "selling" it could get very out-of-hand. I don't think you want another E-bay here.

The shipping-only concept would keep the profit margin out of it. The swap thing would also work, I just think you really need to keep money out of the equation.

Some of these E-bay vultures could generate 50 posts pretty quickly.

SCSI drives! I got SCSI drives here! One half-dozen 9 GB SCSI drives, used only on Sundays by little old ladies! What am I bid for these fine specimens! One of you fine gentlemen NEEDS these wonderful drives, I'm looking for the one with the M-Audio 2496 or simlilar and just doesn't deserve it! Step up, step up, don't be shy! You say you need these drives, you say you have that card, TELL you what I'm Gonna do!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nothing will ruin a freindship like a bad money deal.

Maybe allow links to personal ebay stores in our sigs or personal web sites that would have the items listed.

Maybe a rummage sale/flea market/swap meet section, but it needs to be thought through really well.
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    People is not enough mature worldwide for something like this.
    It's a nice idea (I would benefit a lot from this myself...) but I wouldn't like something like this at videohelp.
    There must be an org or a site out there, dedicated for something like this. We could simply link there about those things.
    Quote Quote