VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello there!

My first post. I hope I'm in the right place. My problem is that I have a bunch of concert DVDs that I would like to put in my Media Player Classic Home Cinema playlist. I can rip them without problems and end up with VOBs and IFOs, or sometimes mpls if it was a blu-ray (I don't need to edit these ones though, they came out fine from the rip). I run into problems though because sometimes the IFO files contain menus, and they can contain chapters like "behind the scenes" that I don't want included in my MPCHC playlist.

I tried ifoedit, as well as DVDDecrypter and pgcEdit but only managed to create new IFOs that were without menus but still included many chapters I didn't want.

So, is there a reference somewhere for achieving this? I bet ifoedit can do it but it was difficult to trial-and-error because of large VOB files, and I couldn't find much documentation.

Help very much appreciated!! :-]

masklin
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have only used DVDShrink once, so I am a long way from being an experienced user. However, I think that DVDShrink can probably remove some unwanted features from the ripped disc.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. You want to remove some of the chapter points on the way to creating a menuless ISO of the DVD? PGCDemux is one way. Open the correct IFO and demux the video and audio. Also, "Create CellTimes.txt". The Celltimes.txt consists of the chapter points by frame numbers. Delete the ones you don't want. Reauthor using Muxman and then create the ISO.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The way I read the aim is to actually remove the chapters not the chapter markers.

I may be wrong but I do not think these edit tools can actually do that.

So you demux or just use vob2mpeg to create one video from the disk (the pro version could also select the chapters you wanted to keep) , mark the sections you want to keep in programs such as avidemux and create new videos from those. Then you can create a new dvd etc with the advantage that you can take clips from different disks whereas even if the edit tools could do the job you are restricted to only one disk.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I have only used DVDShrink once, so I am a long way from being an experienced user. However, I think that DVDShrink can probably remove some unwanted features from the ripped disc.
    I will give that a look!

Originally Posted by manono View Post
    You want to remove some of the chapter points on the way to creating a menuless ISO of the DVD? PGCDemux is one way. Open the correct IFO and demux the video and audio. Also, "Create CellTimes.txt". The Celltimes.txt consists of the chapter points by frame numbers. Delete the ones you don't want. Reauthor using Muxman and then create the ISO.
    No I don't need an ISO, MPCHC can "play" IFO files, so all I need is an IFO containing _most_ chapters from the ripped DVD, and excluding the title menu.

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    The way I read the aim is to actually remove the chapters not the chapter markers.

I may be wrong but I do not think these edit tools can actually do that.

So you demux or just use vob2mpeg to create one video from the disk (the pro version could also select the chapters you wanted to keep) , mark the sections you want to keep in programs such as avidemux and create new videos from those. Then you can create a new dvd etc with the advantage that you can take clips from different disks whereas even if the edit tools could do the job you are restricted to only one disk.
    Hmmm I suppose I could remove the chapters themselves (from the VOBs?), but it's enough for me to remove the chapter markers (?) from the IFO file. If I can create an IFO file containing markers to a subset of chapters, and importantly NOT containing the title menu, I'll be a happy feller (as mentioned, MPCHC can play IFOs) .
    Is demuxing the only way to do this? Will the 5.1 audio track be left intact? I'm worried...

Big thanks for your replies!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Players play ifos because they play dvds. Ifos are useless without all the support files.

As stated, the programs CAN edit the chapter markers. But these are entry points. What you are effectively asking is to have an exit point at the end of the retained chapter which can then jump to the next desired entry point. I really am unsure if that is at all possible since one chapter typically runs from the previous.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Players play ifos because they play dvds. Ifos are useless without all the support files.

As stated, the programs CAN edit the chapter markers. But these are entry points. What you are effectively asking is to have an exit point at the end of the retained chapter which can then jump to the next desired entry point. I really am unsure if that is at all possible since one chapter typically runs from the previous.
    Hmm okay, well I guess I'll have to try regardless. Perhaps I'm lucky and the unwanted chapters are leading or trailing? What program should I use to edit the markers and save a new IFO? Big big thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by masklin View Post
    No I don't need an ISO
    Oh, sorry. Then remove the chapter points you don't want from the Celltimes.txt and reauthor using Muxman. Done. A DVD with the movie and the chapters you want to keep and nothing else. No menu or extras.

If you want to add in some new chapters, then edit the Celltimes.txt accordingly. You'll need to be able to find the correct frame numbers to remove those chapters and perhaps add more. VirtualDub2 can do that.

Is demuxing the only way to do this?
    It's how I'd do it.
    Will the 5.1 audio track be left intact?
    Of course. Nothing gets reencoded or changed in any way during the process of demuxing.
    Last edited by manono; 20th Jul 2020 at 18:11.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also, if you want to experiment a little more with IfoEdit, this page has instructions on how to skip the main menu and jump straight
    to title n
    http://www.ifoedit.com/splitprob1.html?i=1
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Oh, sorry. Then remove the chapter points you don't want from the Celltimes.txt and reauthor using Muxman. Done. A DVD with the movie and the chapters you want to keep and nothing else. No menu or extras.
    Hey, sorry for the ridiculous delay in reply... I made an attempt using PgcDemux and Muxman. I chose the PGC mode since that let me choose the longest uninterrupted segment, if that makes sense? There were tons of segments to choose from, uhm, the PGC mode had 5, and the others had even more. Didn't really know what I was doing there heh.

Then I loaded the resulting m2v and ac3 files into Muxman, as well as loading the celltimes from Celltimes.txt (but I didn't doublecheck that they were correct).

The resulting IFO plays well in my MPCHC, though the chapters are wonky. There should be around 15 chapters, but the chapter count starts at 12, and there are only two chapters in total, so 12 and 13. Chapter 12 is a few minutes long, chapter 13 is two hours long. Heh.

I'm quite happy with the results regardless. I guess I got lucky choosing the PGC segment. I realize I'm missing out on the 'extra materials' but that doesn't much bother me.

... unless it's an easy fix?

Big big thanks for your help Manono!
    Quote Quote  
  11. If there's other stuff you want, you can demux all you want and then use the 'Add' button in Muxman to add in the other videos and audios.

If you want to edit the Celltimes.txt file to add chapters wherever you want, open the M2V in VirtualDub2 and scroll to the places where you want those chapters, check the frame numbers and add them into the Celltimes.txt file.
    Quote Quote  
  12. IMO, the easy way is to use a combination of PgcEdit and DVDShrink.

In PgcEdit, double-click the main movie in the left pane. In the PGC Editor, verify with the preview what cells you want to remove, and note the chapter numbers corresponding to that cells. When you are sure, click the Remove Cells button. Remove the cell(s) with Remove one cell or Remove cell range. OK the dialog. You will probably be prompted to remove also the duplicate chapters points. If it's the case, click the Edit Chapter (PTT) Table red button. Remove the chapters previously pointing to the removed cells. OK the dialogs, and save the DVD.

In DVDShrink, load the modified DVD, and click the Reauthor button. In the DVD Browser tab, you should see the modified title. Right-click it and select Add in the popup menu. (Do this also with other titles you want to keep. If you do this, the additional titles will be automatically played after the main movie.) When done, click the backup button, and follow the instructions.

You should end up with a simple DVD with only the title(s) you have added in DVDShrink, without the additional chapters removed in PgcEdit, and without menus or other useless stuff such as studio logos.
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you already ripped to (VIDEO_TS) ifo & vobs, with dvdshrink, "Open Files" in Tool Bar. After 'analyzing' files or disk or iso, select 'Re-author', Select 'Main Movie', generally 'Title 1', (hours minutes seconds & size help selecting what you want--sometimes there are more than 1 main movie) selecting 'Compression Settings' shows various audio choices. I would leave these 'checked'.click 'Backup!' In "Edit" -> 'Preferences' -> 'Preferences'. I always select 'DVD-9 (8.5 GB)' in the drop down box. The DVD-5 will compress disk/files/iso to fit DVD-5 (4.7g) disks. I dont think audio files are compressed, but why take the chance!
    This is with DVDShrink 3.2.0.15, you can d/l it from here at videohelp.com

Hope this makes sense to you, , , ,

-corne-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Good method, except that you did not explain how to remove the end of the main title, as masklin wants. But IMO, your method if simpler than mine. After having selected the movie, masklin should right-click it in the left pane and select "Set Start/End Frames..." and use the bottom slider to remove what he doesn't want. AFAIK, there is no audio to remove or video to compress, so this method should be straightforward. However, it might be difficult to find the right cut point with the slider. My method, using PgcEdit to remove the useless chapter(s), is more precise, but it requires to use two different programs.
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good method, except that you did not explain how to remove the end of the main title, as masklin wants. But IMO, your method if simpler than mine.

I guess I missed that part (end credits?). As you said, in 're-author' mode, little box with 2 arrows.

-c-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Big thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge! I have all I need now. Happy :-]]
    Quote Quote