VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Image
    [Attachment 59141 - Click to enlarge]

Heaven forbid I run the avspmod.exe and it just opens and saves into my new computer. No of course not.
    No program can simply just run and do it's job these days without making life unnecessarily difficult because Tom, Dick and Harry who creates this crap can't keep it together with ONE version instead of ten thousand.

Attached is the error I'm getting when trying to run it. Can anyone help me out here? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Download the latest release and unzip to a fresh folder. Try it from there
    Quote Quote  
  3. It opens when I click the avspmod.exe from the download folder. But then when I try to save it as a shortcut on the desktop, I'm getting errors.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Nevermind, it works now. Like every other program nowadays, I finger ****ed it enough to get it working. Yeah, that's what everything nowadays requires just to start up. Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The download from here is a zip archive as can be seen from the file name:
    https://www.videohelp.com/download/AvsPmod_v2.6.8.1_.Windows_x86-64.zip

DId you extract it before you tried to run it?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Betelman View Post
    No program can simply just run and do it's job these days without making life unnecessarily difficult because Tom, Dick and Harry who creates this crap can't keep it together with ONE version instead of ten thousand.
    If you can't understand even what you're doing before accusing someone else (especially a person who works for free and then shares its useful tool/software with EVERYONE) is better to try to understand what's wrong with what YOU are doing in the first place.

Sorry for the harsh comment, but I'm quite tired of reading a lot of similar accuses lately, thrown to developers who works for free by people who don't know or understand even what THEY are doing.. but nonetheless they become immediately unpolite and disrespectful toward devs and don't hesitate to call "crap" everything even when the fault is all their own.

I know it may be VERY frustrating when a software you need gives some troubles.. but that's not a valid reason to become disrespectful and unpolite, especially when the software is offered REALLY for free.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Let me make something very clear here: If the developers do it for FREE, that is THEIR decision. In the end, there's always some level of self-gratification /self-service involved. They're not just doing it because they're such sweet guys. Therefore, while I do appreciate their work, I don't develop a bleeding heart for any of them.

No one pushed them to do it. So now they have a decision to make: Either make free crap, or charge for something that's stable and doesn't require 88 steps to install.

But if they make it, whether free or for a price, they should make it work. Making something for free does not automatically qualify you to make it complicated.

That's like the guy that wants to do you a favor, but winds up being more trouble than he's worth---and expects a thank-you just because he did you a favor. Bullshit.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    No one pushed them to do it. So now they have a decision to make: Either make free crap, or charge for something that's stable and doesn't require 88 steps to install.

But if they make it, whether free or for a price, they should make it work. Making something for free does not automatically qualify you to make it complicated.

That's like the guy that wants to do you a favor, but winds up being more trouble than he's worth---and expects a thank-you just because he did you a favor. Bullshit.
    Not considering the fact that even professional software that costs a lot of money may give troubles and have nasty bugs and incompatibilities..

Not considering that, in this case, you have only ONE thing to do to make this software work out of the box.. ONE.. and if it's not working it's 100% YOUR fault.

It's a very arrogant, silly, blind and egoistic way of thinking, yours, that I don't share at all.

Fortunately.. there are also lot of people who reason in a different way than yours and support/respect developers (especially if they gives their software for free).. or at this point open source and free software would be already totally abandoned and not worth the great efforts that there are behind.
    Quote Quote  
  9. As a matter of fact, I'm dealing with the same issue with a program called DaVinci Resolve. They offer a free version for people who wish to just do basic work. Great! So I downloaded it and now it's not importing ANY of my media. And all I'm trying to work with is a silly Mpeg-2 file. But no, it can't do that of course, HEAVEN FORBID! No, I bet I have to add some other plug-in or do another 3 sets of cartwheels and 3-hours' worth of research just to import a movie. But hey, I should appreciate the fact that it's FREE!

Dog sh.it is free too. I don't see too many people putting it in their pocket when they run into it.

Krykmoon, you make a good point about the software that we DO have to pay for.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    Dog sh.it is free too. I don't see too many people putting it in their pocket when they run into it.

Krykmoon, you make a good point about the software that we DO have to pay for.
    Dog shit is free .. but doesn't cost any effort, time and lot of trouble to anyone to be produced.

On the contrary.. people who creates this very useful tools released totally for free spend a lot of their time working on them.. fixing them.. adjusting what (inevitably.. that's how it goes with software development from its origins) goes wrong.

The author of AVSPmod has taken an abandoned project and it's constantly working on it since..

I don't agree with you: I completely believe in the open-source and free software philosophy.. which is different from what you think.. and it even doesn't imply developers of free stuff can't get money and support for their projects (Blender is free and open source but gets a lot of money for its development by many big companies): it's the decision to offer the software to everyone regardless their economical possibilities and keep it "open".. since you believe in this philosophy and that this is the way things should be.
    Quote Quote