VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey all, first post here. I do wedding videos, and we currently use 3 A600s and 1 A6500 with various lenses. I want to pick up a couple cameras we can set around the ceremony and reception areas to just start to go to capture random footage. Currently we are using 2 small home camcorders for this. They fine when the area is brightly lit, but with any darkness, the footage it useless. We picked up a Mevo to test out, and the quality is just horrid.

I am looking at a couple RX100s. Everything I have read about them is positive (we do photography also and would be a great camera to just have in the bag in case of emergencies). My only hesitation is this. The A6000s have a 20 minute cut off on them, where they will stop recording after 20 minutes. I know and understanding the reasoning behind this, but I need to know if the RX100 has the same thing on it before I buy one, or do they have continual recording until they are manually stopped.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is it this camera?
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/869238-REG/Sony_DSC_RX100_Digital_Camera.html
    There is written video up to 29 min. But don't know if because capacity or because overheating of camera itselfs.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    Is it this camera?
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/869238-REG/Sony_DSC_RX100_Digital_Camera.html
    There is written video up to 29 min. But don't know if because capacity or because overheating of camera itselfs.

Bernix
    Yes that is the one thanks, did not see anything about the 29 minute time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is actually video clip lenght. So still not very clear.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  5. After using DSLRs for a number of years I've come to the conclusion that video cameras work better for shooting videos. There is no file length limit, and they are ergonomically designed for that purpose. Sony (and Canon and Panasonic) have a number of good choices at various price points.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    After using DSLRs for a number of years I've come to the conclusion that video cameras work better for shooting videos. There is no file length limit, and they are ergonomically designed for that purpose. Sony (and Canon and Panasonic) have a number of good choices at various price points.
    Would you have a recommendation in the $450-$500 range?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What about this. But it is just blind shot on the edge of your budget. But it has Back Iluminated sensor and in review there is it is good for low light. BI sensor should be better for this purpose. Probably smrpix will check specs and will say is or isn't good enough.
    panasonic hc v770 full hd camcorder
    But it is only Full HD... And at max resolution x FPS it is 50 Mb/s so it should take long clips.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by MemoriesInMotion View Post
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    After using DSLRs for a number of years I've come to the conclusion that video cameras work better for shooting videos. There is no file length limit, and they are ergonomically designed for that purpose. Sony (and Canon and Panasonic) have a number of good choices at various price points.
    Would you have a recommendation in the $450-$500 range?
    Nothing at that range, you'd need to start at $1000 and most likely go up. Camcorders are much easier to handle, but for the price. Sensors are smaller and to match it with your set up, you'd need to get something with 1" as a minimum.
    Quote Quote