VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hello everyone!

My name is Andy and I'm happy to announce that Subtitle Workshop is back!

The new Subtitle Workshop 6.0 is available for download at our new website:
    http://subworkshop.sf.net

Here's what's new in version 6.0 (build 130814):

• Based on Subtitle Workshop 2.51.

• A new Multiple Tags Mode, that allows working with multiple tags in a single subtitle.

• New Subtitle API version 1.15, which supports the new Multiple Tags Mode, adds a few new formats, and fixes issues with some old formats.
    • Toolbar, Statusbar, Text Style Bars, and Time Control Buttons.
    • Pause system - view and modify the time gap between two subtitles.
    • Characters per Second (CpS) system.
    • Duration and Pause columns in the Subtitles List.
    • New error marking system - features constant automatic error rechecking and unique marking of every error type.
    • New error types - Too short pauses, Too many CpS, Dialogue on one line, and more.
    • New functions, including an Auto Combine Subtitles function.
    • Improved old functions, including breaking on punctuation marks with Smart Line Adjust.
    • New context menus for the Subtitles List and the Text and Translation fields.
    • Easier timing values editing and shifting with the mouse wheel in different ways.
    • Improved In-place edition.
    • Greatly extended Information & Errors window functionality.

• Custom Info system - search for subtitles in the subtitle file based on custom user-defined rules about the timing or the text.
    • Extended Various Information window information.
    • Subtitle marking can be saved in a .SRF file.
    • Many new settings, including default new subtitle duration and pause values.

• Volume Control, Audio Stream selection, and Video Renderer selection in the Video Preview.
    • Zooming, Full Screen Mode, Aspect Ratio selection, and a new context menu in the Video Preview.
    • Visual subtitle representation in the Video Preview Seekbar.
    • Many more video and audio formats can be opened (as long as the system has the codecs for them).

• New Pascal Script functions.
    • Many bug fixes.
    • And much more... (see changelog.txt for the full list of changes)

Give it a try!
    Send us your feedback and let us know what you think!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Today I have already seen the new Subtitle Workshop 6.0 ​​but I have not taken and tested
    Anyway,for years already use the Win 7 version of 2.51 in combination with ffdshow + Haali Media Splitter
    What is the situation with the opening of AVI,MKV, MP4 and other formats known in this new version 6.0 ? what is the quality of the preview window ?
    Is there a difference between portable and installation versions ? greeting...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi there.

The "quality" of the video preview entirely depends on the video file and your installed codecs.
    Subtitle Workshop can play any video format you have installed codecs for.

You can now choose VMR9 video renderer in the Video Preview which fixes a known issue with the old Subtitle Workshop and Windows 7.

There are also new features in the Video Preview like volume control, Full Screen Mode, Zoom, Aspect Ratio Selecteion, Audio Stream selection and more.

There is no functional difference between the installer and the portable version.
    Subtitle Workshop 6 now available!
    Quote Quote  
  4. thanks mate...for now works great !
    simply this :
    What in your opinion is better (quality) : VMR9 video renderer or ffdshow video decoder (Raw video - all supported) ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I wouldn't necessarily say one is better than the other. It's likely there wouldn't be any difference quality-wise. Simply whatever looks and performs better is the best way to go.

I'd stick with the default renderer when I can.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One of the drawbacks of the old Subtitle Workshop was its inability to handle Unicode.
    Just tried v 6 and it seems to still have this problem.
    Is this going to be addressed?

But it does have many other improvements and the time adjust tools are as useful as ever.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes, we are planning to implement full Unicode support in the future. Howerev, this is a difficult task and it will take some time.
    Quote Quote  
  8. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    ^ Regarding Unicode: what about borrowing/adapting some code from, let's say, Aegisub Wouldn't this make the task easier... or things are much more complicated than I think?
    Quote Quote  
  9. It doesn't work that way. So, yes, much more complicated than you think
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    any chance of normal subs to 3d side-by-side and over/under?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    That will only work if you use ASS subs, and for that the best editor is Aegisub.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by adenry View Post
    Yes, we are planning to implement full Unicode support in the future. Howerev, this is a difficult task and it will take some time.
    I understand that the text handling is all in 8 bit, and converting to 16 bit throughout isn't trivial.

However, in the meantime, could SW check the encoding of a file when it opens it and if it's Unicode, give the user the option to convert to ANSI or some encoding that SW can handle?
    Often the only real Unicode characters are the musical note symbol. You could convert that to # rather than the string of garbage you get otherwise.

Most subs now you find embedded in MKV are Unicode, and I have to mess with various text tools to convert and clean them up before I can even start work in SW.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    Originally Posted by adenry View Post
    Yes, we are planning to implement full Unicode support in the future. Howerev, this is a difficult task and it will take some time.
    I understand that the text handling is all in 8 bit, and converting to 16 bit throughout isn't trivial.

However, in the meantime, could SW check the encoding of a file when it opens it and if it's Unicode, give the user the option to convert to ANSI or some encoding that SW can handle?
    Often the only real Unicode characters are the musical note symbol. You could convert that to # rather than the string of garbage you get otherwise.

Most subs now you find embedded in MKV are Unicode, and I have to mess with various text tools to convert and clean them up before I can even start work in SW.
    Yes, we've been considering this for quite some time now, as well as the opposite - saving as unicode. It will be useful until we go all-Unicode. It might very well be implemented in one of our next releases.

That's very unlikely, at least for now. Fancy subtitles are pretty much at the bottom of our to-do list, which is quite large. And, yes, Aegisub is perfect for those
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was,t looking for fancy. Just standard subs to mkv compatible .srt that would play on most tv, bluray and media centers.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was,t looking for fancy. Just standard subs to mkv compatible .srt that would play on most tv, bluray and media centers.
    SRT only has 1) time and 2) text.
    SRT has no positioning parameters. That's up to the player.
    Strictly SRT doesn't have any colour or font spec either, but some players accept HTML coding. But many don't.

If you want to specify presentation in the subtitle you need to use ASS.
    Or bitmap subs like SUP.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 19th Aug 2013 at 01:03.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I am experiencing a problem in displaying videos in Subtitle Workshop (both 2.5.2 and 6.0). Initially I had problems only with mp4 files. Using Gspot I identified the related codec, which was H.264/AVC. I subsequently tried installing ffdshow and Haali Matroska Splitter, usng Codec Tweak Tool and Win7DSFilterTweaker to set ffdshow as preferred video codec for mp4 and h264 files. Then I tried also with this codec and with Shark 007 codecs, but nothing. I am still not able to see mp4s and now also some MPEG-1 files are giving me problems.

The funny thing is that I am able to open all these files in every media player I have, namely WMP and VLC.

My graphic card is an Asus with a GTX 580 chipset and updated drivers. Could someone give me a hand?

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    Strictly SRT doesn't have any colour or font spec either, but some players accept HTML coding. But many don't.

Or bitmap subs like SUP.

can't use ass or sup in mkv for most blu-ray/tv type players. i thought the author might be able to take normal subs and have the left/right or over/under text .srt line up properly to display correctly in both left and right eyes. i can only get 3d srt subs to work using 1 eye.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post

Or bitmap subs like SUP.

can't use ass or sup in mkv for most blu-ray/tv type players. i thought the author might be able to take normal subs and have the left/right or over/under text .srt line up properly to display correctly in both left and right eyes. i can only get 3d srt subs to work using 1 eye.
    Okay, seems I misundersttod you. I really thought you were talking about 3D subtitles ala SSA. Sorry about that.

However, what you're looking for should be implemented in the video player you're watching 3D movies with, not in the subtitles. That's if I understood you correctly this time
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Kahlua02 View Post
    Hello,

I am experiencing a problem in displaying videos in Subtitle Workshop (both 2.5.2 and 6.0). Initially I had problems only with mp4 files. Using Gspot I identified the related codec, which was H.264/AVC. I subsequently tried installing ffdshow and Haali Matroska Splitter, usng Codec Tweak Tool and Win7DSFilterTweaker to set ffdshow as preferred video codec for mp4 and h264 files. Then I tried also with this codec and with Shark 007 codecs, but nothing. I am still not able to see mp4s and now also some MPEG-1 files are giving me problems.

The funny thing is that I am able to open all these files in every media player I have, namely WMP and VLC.

My graphic card is an Asus with a GTX 580 chipset and updated drivers. Could someone give me a hand?

Thanks in advance

Hi there.

First of all, make sure you don't have a bunch of different codecs and codec packs installed. Uninstall everything and stick to one codec pack only. A codec pack contains all the codecs, splitters and tools you would want. I like K-Lite, but you can use whatever you want. Just make sure you have the latest version installed and nothing else.

Also, try changing the Video Renderer in Subtitle Workshop. Go to Movie -> Video Renderer, and try VMR9.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Thank you for the development of SW 6. Where can I switch off this preview function: "when the video is paused, as the mouse cursor is moved over the Seekbar, the corresponding moment in the video is previewed"? Because the changing-flashing frames are very disturbing. It would be very good if it's resolvable. Thanks for your answer in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by The Nanny View Post
    Thank you for the development of SW 6. Where can I switch off this preview function: "when the video is paused, as the mouse cursor is moved over the Seekbar, the corresponding moment in the video is previewed"? Because the changing-flashing frames are very disturbing. It would be very good if it's resolvable. Thanks for your answer in advance.
    It will be possible in the next version. Stay tuned.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by adenry View Post
    It will be possible in the next version. Stay tuned.
    Thanks, counting on it.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks! If you can get the Unicode support going in the future this will be even better.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by Pie View Post
    Thanks! If you can get the Unicode support going in the future this will be even better.
    Partial Unicode support (opening and saving Unicode files, but no internal Unicode) is coming in the next version.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello there,

I've been using Subtitle Workshop 2.51 for years now, and couldn't do without it!!

I've just seen that version 6a has come out, so thought I would try it out, but for some reason cannot install it. Could this be because I have not removed version 2.51? I keep getting a message: Can't write: C:\Program Files (x86)\Subtitle Workshop\Subtitle Workshop.exe.

Can someone help me?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by Florio60 View Post
    Hello there,

I've been using Subtitle Workshop 2.51 for years now, and couldn't do without it!!

I've just seen that version 6a has come out, so thought I would try it out, but for some reason cannot install it. Could this be because I have not removed version 2.51? I keep getting a message: Can't write: C:\Program Files (x86)\Subtitle Workshop\Subtitle Workshop.exe.

Can someone help me?
    Please see the following:
    https://sourceforge.net/p/subworkshop/discussion/help/thread/e0e01cba/
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many thanks, adenry, worked perfectly. But once I'd installed the new version of subtitle workshop, after about 10 seconds the video suddenly stopped showing, leaving just the subs on the screen and the audio. Obviously a problem with the codecs which I didn't have with the old version.

I'll explain my problem. I have always been very happy with version 2.51, except that I can non longer use the spell check; for some reason the language is blocked on Italian (I'm living in Italy), whereas this was not always the case. I thought that by installing the new version of subtitle workshop, I would no longer have the spell check problem.

I'm almost a bit reluctant to get rid of version 2.51 because it's working perfectly apart from the spell check issue, and if I installed new codecs but then had to revert to version 2.51, then I'd surely have to fiddle around to get the video working again.

Is there a way of fixing the spell check problem on version 2.51 (without having to paste everything into word, use the spell check there, and then re-paste back into subtitle workshop)?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by Florio60 View Post
    Many thanks, adenry, worked perfectly. But once I'd installed the new version of subtitle workshop, after about 10 seconds the video suddenly stopped showing, leaving just the subs on the screen and the audio. Obviously a problem with the codecs which I didn't have with the old version.

I'll explain my problem. I have always been very happy with version 2.51, except that I can non longer use the spell check; for some reason the language is blocked on Italian (I'm living in Italy), whereas this was not always the case. I thought that by installing the new version of subtitle workshop, I would no longer have the spell check problem.

I'm almost a bit reluctant to get rid of version 2.51 because it's working perfectly apart from the spell check issue, and if I installed new codecs but then had to revert to version 2.51, then I'd surely have to fiddle around to get the video working again.

Is there a way of fixing the spell check problem on version 2.51 (without having to paste everything into word, use the spell check there, and then re-paste back into subtitle workshop)?

Thanks.
    Are you saying you have both 2.51 and 6 installed on the same PC and you have problems with the video in version 6 but not in 2.51?

There is virtually no difference in how both the video player and the spell checker work in version 6 and in version 2.51, so there shouldn't be any differences.

If you're having issues with the video, try to change the Video Renderer to VMR9 from the Movie > Video Renderer menu (that's only available in version 6, not in version 2.51). If this doesn't help, simply uninstall all your codecs and codec packs and install the latest version of a popular codec pack like K-Lite (for either version of Subtitle Workshop). Those two things usually fix all problems with videos.

Please explain your problem with the spell check function more precisely. What do you mean that Italian is "blocked"? What exactly happens when you press F7?
    Subtitle Workshop's spell check does exactly what you're doing - it copies all the text, opens Word, pastes the text in Word and runs Word's spell check function, only you can't really see the Word window because you don't really need to. However, note that Subtitle Workshop always uses MS Word's Default spell check language. So your default spell check language should be set to Italian in Word. To do that, follow these steps:
    1. Close Subtitle Workshop.
    2. Open MS Word.
    3. Go to Tools > Language > Set Language. A new "Language" window should pop up.
    4. In the Language window that appeared, Select the Italian language and click on the "Default" button. This should set Italian as your default language for spell checking.
    5. Close the Language window, close MS Word, star Subtitle Workshop and try the spell check function again.

Let me know if this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Hello all!

Im using Windows 8 64 bit and I am experiencing this problem:
    When I click inside the time box (hide and show), the text disappears... For example:

Show
    [00:03:05:625] -----> once I click inside, that's what appears [25. . , ]

Thanx in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Frank619 View Post
    Im using Windows 8 64 bit and I am experiencing this problem:
    When I click inside the time box (hide and show), the text disappears...
    Possibly just the text in that font doesn't fit in the space. You can drag the column to widen it.
    You can change the font used in the GUI in the settings.
    Quote Quote