VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, all.

What I want to do: take an MP4 shot on a cam and overlay an MP3 (or WAV) I've recorded at the same time and sync them.

I make instructional YouTube videos from time to time. The channel isn't monetized, I get no payment for doing what I do, I just want to pass along what I've learned in case it helps someone. I say that because it'd be nice to find something free, or very close to it, which would work.

I have an old laptop using Win XP with Movie Maker on it but it's not here, 2,000 miles from home (it's a long story). I can't use that machine here because it's not here, but I have a lot of downtime to get back to making some videos on YouTube. I thought this would be easy. It's not.

MM isn't available on Win7 (this laptop). I tried OpenShot, Blender, VSDC. All I want is a simple ability to sync a snap board/clap board across one audio track to one video track and, occasionally, cut out some dead space (while I do something off camera or whatever). It's super basic stuff. Viewing the audio waveform helps a bunch (VSDC current free version doesn't allow the display of the waveform). Maybe OpenShot or Blender will do what I want but I was unable to figure it out.

I just need someone with experience to point me to a product, please.

I'm sorry for the really basic question. Thanks for your help.

--HC
    Quote Quote  
  2. At first you can try install and use tool you know best (i.e. Movie Maker - you should be able to use it under Windows 7 IMHO) to avoid investing your time in learning a new tool, however you can give a chance to AVIUtil or VirtualDub2 .
    Quote Quote  
  3. I am PLEABS
    Search Comp PM
    try Shotcut
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you Pandy and Ant_G for the replies. I was unable to find MM to install on Win 7, but maybe I didn't look hard enough. It was always sketchy for me, even on the one system I'd been using it on for my YT videos.

I installed looked at the choices here and settled on Shotcut. With little effort I was able to set it up and do the basic stuff I wanted to do.

Thanks again.

--HC
    Quote Quote