VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My esteemed mates,

I just want to edit out and save as a separate video file (e.g. .mp4) between 1m:10s – 1m:31s of a 1m:46c video file (downloaded as a .webm but I converted it to .mp4 using VLC Media Player.

So, I essential wish to "create" a new fie that's approx. 21 seconds extracted from the larger (longer) video.

Which *free* video editing software would you recommend for Windows 7 on an older personal computer (video on board, no separate graphics card)?

Lightworks seems great but for this project I need a simpler, easier to learn and use video editing program.

I just tried editing that video file with Windows Movie Maker but I’m not well versed editing out video using WMM so maybe there’s a better program (or easy way to edit using Windows Movie Maker?

Thank you so much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Avidemux
    A/B markers: Set A = start of video to keep. Set B = end of video
    Set Copy for Video
    Set Copy for Audio
    Set Output Format as Mp4
    Save new video clip
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Probably because of keyframes there should be needed recompress. But if no need any presision... copy can work too. But avidemux has sometimes trouble with short clips or short saves.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you both. I'll download and try Avidemux and see if I incur problems with this short video.

Much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I know this is off-topic (but related to my initial question).

I want to teach less fortunate people how to use software so I wondered if Windows 10 built-in screen capture software would be good enough to make "a little movie" of how to do things in video editing as they try them?

I tried Camtasia about 4 years ago and I didn't enjoy the best of success.

Might you please share any other screen capture software (with links for downloads, please?)?

Thank you so much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    for sure OBS studio. HW acceleration is possible and crossplatform. Brilliant piece of software.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For the original Q. you can also try My MP4Box GUI which might even be simpler to use.

Not a good idea to mix questions about different tasks in the same topic as others who might search will end up confused.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi Bernix,

OBS seemed really full-featured.

I joined their list to post issues I was having with OBS only to discover my laptop PC needed a separate video card as my on-board built-in video is insufficient.

I'm hoping to find a screen capture software which can work on a W7 PC with just on-board video.

Thank you!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hi DB83,

My apologies.

I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread.

Thank you for sharing My MP4Box GUI.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hi DB83,

Thank you ever so much for all your kind help.

I just downloaded and installed Avidemux on the laptop.

I’ve never used it so I’m not sure where and how I set A/B markers.

After I’ve opened the short .mp4 file in Avidemux, I see if I click on the Edit (tab) up top in the drop-dp0wn menu is a Set Marker A – Ctrl + Page Up and Set Marker B – Ctrl + Page Down.

I’m not sure the step(s) in actually setting the Marker A and B?

Also, under Output format there is an MP4 Muxer choice and an MP4v 2 Muxer, which would best?

Finally, there’s a Configure button – do I click that to save the new (edited) video clip?

Thank you again!

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Avidemux
    A/B markers: Set A = start of video to keep. Set B = end of video
    Set Copy for Video
    Set Copy for Audio
    Set Output Format as Mp4
    Save new video clip
    Quote Quote