VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everybody.
    I do a work for convert videos now.
    I try to take about 5000 bitrate for 720p grain video, I default to use 1.0 aq strength for all movies, but when I see it, have some grain is freeze (can't moving). And I try to find about this problem and maybe it's bitrate not enough.
    So have anyone can tell me for what enough bitrate for 720p videos? (can up to 17000 bitrate that I allow)
    I use x264 very slow preset: me=umh - subme=11 - bframes 16.
    All I need to know is how many bitrate for 720p aq-strength 1.0 to have a perfect 720p videos quality of movies?
    Very hope some pro encoder can support for me. Many thanks.
    Last edited by thekingintheall; 26th Nov 2022 at 01:49.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Not a pro encoder, but here are my two cents:
    a. What is the average quantizer that your rencoding results in? (it's shown in the statistics at the end of the encoding) Depending on the content an average bit rate of 5000 might be way more or far less than needed.
    b. assuming you are using 1pass encoding, better switch to crf encoding.
    c. 16 bframes makes no sense for normal movies (see the statistic what really gets used)
    d. if your source is grainy, and you want to preserve the grain, you should use '--tune grain'
    - grain (psy tuning):
    --aq-strength 0.5 --no-dct-decimate
    --deadzone-inter 6 --deadzone-intra 6
    --deblock -2:-2 --ipratio 1.1
    source: x264 --fullhelp
    If you do not want/need to preserve the grain using x264s noise reduction ('--nr XXX') option might be helpful. (notice that '--tune grain' lowers aq-strength)

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by thekingintheall View Post
    All I need to know is how many bitrate for 720p aq-strength 1.0 to have a perfect 720p videos quality of movies?
    As much as it takes. More grain will require more bitrate.
    Quote Quote