VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have obtained a Sony Betamax SL-5600 recently in order to capture some football film from the 1980s. I lack a cable to connect to the capture card I am using (RCA cables for the capture card; there are not corresponding ports on the Betamax for these). What can I do? Is there a cable somewhere out there that will allow me to connect to my capture card?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    On the back of the sony beta i remember there being 3.5 or 2.5 mm pin or 1/8 holes for the audio and video out,take a look and see if they are there.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Correct. The audio out is a 1/8" mono jack. The composite video is an RCA jack.
    [Attachment 67438 - Click to enlarge]

Be aware that being pre-SuperBeta and Beta Hi-Fi, it may not play back these newer formats correctly. On my SL-5800, I got herringbone lines on SuperBeta and a buzz on Beta Hi-Fi tapes.

If you're playing back prerecorded tapes, the majority of them should be fine. But SuperBeta came out early in the Beta lifetime, and the majority of Sony Betamax (only Sony Beta VCRs are Betamax, all other manufacturers are Beta) are SuperBeta.

Edit: At least the top of the line and near top of the line machines were SuperBeta. I had only three non SuperBeta (out of 20+) machines, the SL-5800, SL-2000, SL-HF2700.
    Last edited by lingyi; 1st Nov 2022 at 23:14.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Be aware that the SL-5400, SL-5600, SL-5800 predated the direct drive mechanism of later machines and the belts would stretch and dry out even without use. Fortunately they're easily replaceable without any more disassembly than taking the top off. Sony used to have free clinics where they're replace all the belts, show you where they were and give you a spare set to DIY later.
    Quote Quote  
  5. So, what cable do I need to purchase in order to connect?

Appreciate the help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Upload a photo of the back of your vcr.

According to the only super-beta manual I can find there should be both RCA/Composite and RF connectors (and this has already been stated).

So that being so any 3 male to male composite cable should suffice.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I will take a photo after work today.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Upload a photo of the back of your vcr.

According to the only super-beta manual I can find there should be both RCA/Composite and RF connectors (and this has already been stated).

So that being so any 3 male to male composite cable should suffice.
    The pic above is the back of the SL-5600. It's composite RCA and 1/8" / 3.5mm mono.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Apologies.

The only manual I could find had a rather 'rough' illustration with two rows of connections and that had two audio rca out.

But no harm for the OP to confirm that his looks like this as well.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 8-Manowar View Post
    So, what cable do I need to purchase in order to connect?

Appreciate the help.
    For the audio you need a 1/8" / 3.5mm mono plug to rca.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mono+1%2F8%22+to+rca&crid=13CRMDRU5HFS4&sprefix=mono+1%2F8+...f=nb_sb_noss_1

[Attachment 67443 - Click to enlarge]

Then an rca splitter to send to the mono audio to your capture device. Female to two maie.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rca+splitter&crid=1JJ3LFNHHNPUC&sprefix=rca+splitte%2Caps%2...f=nb_sb_noss_2

There's two in the pic, but you only need one.

[Attachment 67444 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    ^^ Apologies.

The only manual I could find had a rather 'rough' illustration with two rows of connections and that had two audio rca out.

But no harm for the OP to confirm that his looks like this as well.
    Agreed.

I had to look up the model because it was a long time since I last used my SL-5800. Sadly now long gone.

I think the SL-C7 was the European equivalent.
    Quote Quote  
  12. The picture I took is not very good; my machine is the same one as in the picture above.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On post#2 johnsO stated you'd need a 1/8" to RCA converter plug for the audio, and was correct.
    Then on post #3 lingyi reiterated the 1/8" audio to RCA is what would be needed and even posted a photo of the back of your model machine.
    Then on post #5 you asked the same question again........
    Then on post #8 lingyi he repeated you needed a 1/8" to RCA adapter for the audio.
    Then on post #10 lingyi posted photos of precisely what you'd need.
    I have both these model Betamaxes, the 5600 being the older, one of the first consumer Betamaxes and the 5800 being the top of the line Betamax at the time('81) but I haven't plugged either in since converting all my Beta tapes to DVD a dozen years ago.
    An interesting fact, both machines ignore VHS MV, not only for recording but also if you just use them as passthru devices, they won't block later DVD MV but old VHS tapes even with MV could easily be copied with both these machines and almost surely the 5400, which was the cheapest of the series.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I suppose I am a bit baffled; plugging my yellow RCA cable into the jack does not result in anything on my capture card; it says there is no signal.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thinking back to another 'similar' topic a couple of weeks ago, before you lead us on a wild goose-chase, kindly confirm that this 'football film' is actually a betamax tape and not a betacam tape. The cassette may be the same size but check the wording top-right of the cassette and tell us what you see.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I will do that when I get back to my place tomorrow.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
    An interesting fact, both machines ignore VHS MV, not only for recording but also if you just use them as passthru devices, they won't block later DVD MV but old VHS tapes even with MV could easily be copied with both these machines and almost surely the 5400, which was the cheapest of the series.
    The AGC on Sony Beta machines (read that non-Sony Betas were different) weren't affected by Macrovision. But it didn't remove it. You can see that it's still there by looking at the VBI. The MV blocks are still there, just not changing from light to dark.

I never tried using my machines for passthrough, but if I copied the copy to VHS, the MV kicked in. And on some Beta copies, the light to dark transition was still there, just much slower and less obvious. The earlier, much more aggressive predecessor, CopyGuard, wasn't bypassed on my machines and required an external stabilizer or TBC.

Also, not all machines were equal in the ability to ignore MV. As I recall, my SL-5800 did, as you stated work well at ignoring it, but later machines, particularly high-end didn't. IIRC, My SL-HF900, SL-HF2100 and EDV-7500(s) could be used for playback, but not recording MV tapes. I recall using them to playback to my lower, mid-range machines like the SL-HF550 and SL-HF650.

*SIGH* I miss those days.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Got several tapes here that is a Zenith L-830 Video Cassette (says only on machines having BIII Capability).

So, are these for Betamax or are they the Betacam sort DB mentioned?
    Quote Quote  
  19. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    They are betamax that can record up to 5 hours.
    Quote Quote  
  20. So, they should play on my SL-5600.

I think the machine itself might be a dud, then. I got the cables recommended above; still zilch.

When I try to fast forward, it makes no sound.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Someone with more knowledge of this machine and quite possibly the rider about 'BIII capabilty' maybe offer more assistance since in the day when I had a betamax vcr (and your tapes as mentioned are betamax - you should still see a 'B' in top right) I never came across a L-830. L-750 was the largest.

So I now assume you did not record these tapes or at least in the machine you now attempt to capture them from. So let's for one moment assume that the were recorded at the slowest possible speed to give that 5hr recording. If a machine can only handle double speed (3hr20) then could any playback be possible ?

Also, since I could not find a manual for this vcr, you would need guidance from members here who own or did own one if there is a setting/switch to output from RF to composite.

And one final thing. You have not stated your location so I must assume that both vcr AND the tapes are NTSC.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Post more info, pictures, videos of what you are doing, it's not the members who should try hard to help you, you should try harder to get help, use your phone take videos post them on youtube in private mode, share links here.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Replace the belts if you have no movement,is there any sign of a motor/gear starting up or anything?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Be very careful with those L-830 tapes, they're extremely thin to allow the extra tape on on the spool. I only had one and it jammed in my Sl-5800 after only a couple of uses. Other than that, they're regular Beta tapes that could be recorded BII or BIII. The SL-5400, SL-5600 and SL-5800 were all capable of recording and playback of BII & BIII.

Completely agree with the last three posts. All make excellent points. Especially replacing the belts. As I stated above, they would stretch and dry out, even without use. Unlike later machines, the drive reels were driven by belts. While you have the machine open, check and clean the other rubber parts because they may be dried out and cracked also.

Also note that despite the family name, according to the Sony techs, who I got to know too well over the years, the SL-5800 is different from the two older, lower models and some parts, including belts aren't interchangeable. Here's a Sl-5400 / SL-5600 belt and parts kit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/353393423579?hash=item5247e3b4db:g:SNMAAOSw2GhgBgCd&amdata=en...Bk9SR-Cy1fSJYQ
    Last edited by lingyi; 6th Nov 2022 at 18:00.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    STOP. Just checked mrbetamax.com (a great site for all things Beta, focusing on NTSC. palsite.com is for info on European machines) and he warns against using L-830 tapes in older machines like the SL-5600. Explains why it jammed in my machine

†Compatible Beta machines include those made using the 711B tape chassis or later. This last chassis design change came along in 1983 when the slim line "E-Z Beta" units hit the market. Beta machines with this design, and on, load their cassettes into a slot on the left front. These units were greatly reduced in size from the models that came before them. The SL-8000 and SL-5000 series machines used the older style chassis, newer designs started with the SL-2000 numbered series. The SL-2500, SL-2400 and SL-10 are good examples of 711B chassis machines and this is how they generally looked. Anything made after this time period can utilize a thin base tape such as the L-830. When in doubt check the individual model's spec sheet or consult this time table, click here. (Please note: These cassettes are hand loaded, the first several seconds may not produce a perfectly recorded picture.) Please read the thin base tape disclaimer by clicking here.
    ¹Ships from Zip 29365. To get the weight and dimensions click here.

https://mrbetamax.com/Cassettes.htm#

The SL-8000 refers to the first Betamax, the SL-8200 and SL-8600.

The SL-2000 was the first portable Betamax. I think there was a lower priced SL-2001 that had less special effects features. The SL-2500 and SL-HF2700 as stated were based on the SL-2000 loading mechanism. But they had issues with the loading ring (utilizing folding guide pins), causing my SL-HF2700 to be in the shop numerous times. They eventually came up with a new loading ring design that was installed in my machine. But after the last repair, I retired the machine because I had moved on to SuperBeta machines. IMO, stay away from any of the slimline Betamax.

Edit: Bottom line, IMO, forget about fiddling with your machine. Not compatible with the tapes you have, no SuperBeta, no Beta Hi-Fi, which as I've stated above you may have playback issues with. Rougher on the loading of tapes because of the top load design, versus the front load of later machines, which may be the reason they aren't compatible with L-830 tapes.
    Last edited by lingyi; 6th Nov 2022 at 18:03.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    The SL-2000 was the first portable Betamax.
    Afaik the SL-3000 was the first one (at outside japan) which seems to use a much different mechanism to the one found in the The SL-2000 (aka SL-F1 outside the US).
    Quote Quote  
  27. Right, thanks for the assistance; seems I will be seeking a different machine at some point.

Appreciate your time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or at the very least read read the respenses and reply to them.

One 'weakness', and this forum is no different in this respect that replies may not be relevant to to the specific issue. But if you can not be arsed to reply to the questions raised then you might well wonder why replies stop. Or, to put another way, to get help you must help yourself. I paraphrase that with a patient who goes to a doctor. The doctor can only respond to the info provided which, inevitably, is incomplete.

I am not about to waste my time in reminding you of Q. that have not been answered. Read the replies or indeed wonder why your issue has not been addressed. And pls do not plead dumb. You appear to have full command of the English Language.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 8-Manowar View Post
    Right, thanks for the assistance; seems I will be seeking a different machine at some point.

Appreciate your time.
    Yes. Thank you, I forgot about it because it was before my time. https://www.totalrewind.org/portable/Q_SL3K.htm
    Quote Quote