VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi. Finally tired of my family using my colour ink.. I have decided to buy my own printer. Im looking for one that will have really good quality when printing DVD covers. Also I dont want to spend more then $130 CDN for it. And most important, I need one were think Ink will last/or the ink is cheep to buy so it wont cost tons of $ just to print out my covers.

Any1 got any recommendations?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    my friend says i should get the Canon i560. IS this any good?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would recommend the Epson R200. Great for printing photos, and you can print on injet printable DVDs. It is about $122CDN.[/url]
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Supreme2k
    I would recommend the Epson R200. Great for printing photos, and you can print on injet printable DVDs. It is about $122CDN.[/url]
    yep. best bang for the buck right now. Picking one up at staples tomorrow.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 007craft
    And most important, I need one were think Ink will last/or the ink is cheep to buy so it wont cost tons of $ just to print out my covers.

Any1 got any recommendations?
    Canon is the easiest to refill.

The i560 should be close to the i850 I have (pigment black, C,M,Y), very nice printer with HP/Epson glossy paper. Black is $13.99, and $11.99 for each color cart (USD). No smart chips unlike Epson.

Epson are nice too, but a bit more involved to refill compared to a Canon. You need a chip resetter, and the carts should "soak" for at least 3-4 hours before using again. With the Canon, it has a filling plug, just remove, fill with ink, and replace. Takes less than a minute per cart.

I have both Canon and Epson printers. There isn't much quality difference, but speed is a big factor. My i960, s820, and i850 each take ~2 minutes to print a full color page, my Epson photo 825 takes a whopping 12-15 minutes. I don't dare print out full page color with my R200, ink is too damn expensive for that printer. But considering it takes ~3 minutes to print a disc, I guess the speed would be around the same as my Photo 825.

Epson does have a slight detail advantage, but Canon wins hands down with color correctness and speed. On plain paper and matte paper I perfer the Epson, Canon prints a little light to these types of paper. If I'm using glossy, Canon all the way.

If you don't plan on refilling, but buying OEM carts, either printer is a good buy. It's ~$70-$80 (USD) for a full set of carts for the R200. A full set will get you ~40-50 Cover inserts, or 375 full disc prints.

I think -

Refill your ink and use glossy paper = Canon
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To hell with all that, I say.

I bought a color laser in December.

I'll never do ink again.

I hear "DVD covers" not "DVD labels" ... unless I missed something, some odd suggestions going on here.

If you insist on ink, go HP or Canon for best refill/parts prices.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    a friend got some real cheapo Epson printer at Futureshop for about $39-$49 ( epson C44UX or something like that). The Ink cart replacemnets are over $60 so he just got a another one instead of the ink and sold the old one at $20 at a garage sale. New printer and ink for $29 at shot. It prints fine for DVD covers with UndercoverXP software. These printers were on sale at Futureshop.
    Quote Quote  
  8. @ LordSmurf

What color laser printer did you buy?
    Quote Quote  
  9. disturbed1, what brand is your color refill ink? i tried the brand GC for canon, it sucks, the magenta is to thin and to much pigment. It looks ok for dvd covers after i adjusted the magenta level down and more down, but not good enough for photo printing.

i would also recommend canon printer unless you want to print the disks, then the epson is good if you can afford the insane ink prices. I have the cheaper Canon model, i320, also really good when using original ink, and cost far below $100 now i think, and dont even need to remove any plug when refilling, the carts are separate from the printhead, just turn them upside down and inject ink, no need to align the printhead after a refill.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using Stratitec for about 2 years now. Their black is a little thin, but I just adjust the color setting in the print driver.

$20 at Sam's Club, 2 huge bottles of black, 1 bottle each C,M,Y,PC,PM, plus 4 syringes, gloves and plugs. Each bottle is 85mL

Had the same set of carts in my s820 for 1.5 years, no problems.

I've still got a Canon BJC-2000 that prints 300-400 pages a week. I think it's around 3-4 years old, not too sure.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I been using the same black refill for years now for all canon printers, brand Biltema, Swedish car part and accessory store chain (not ikea, lol) A little expensive but really good quality ink, and no color refill for canon. i will check if Stratitec is available in scandinavia then, thanx alot.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by triphop
    @ LordSmurf

What color laser printer did you buy?
    Minolta Magicolor 2300W for $400 .... print quality beats the $2000 HP
    The Minolta is normally $700 or more
    Special 4-hour sale ... I got like #24 out of 25

K costs $66 per 4500 toner
    C/M/Y costs $90 per color per 4500 toner

Not too bad overall. I use it for video covers and then photos for various projects.

Prints 1200x600 and the colors are true, and the black is black. Perfect gradient patterns ... something you just can't match on ink

I'd been saving for a while ... that day I got lucky. I used the leftover savings and bit more to buy my Apex a month later.

Never go alone to buy a printer like this. It weighs like 100 tons..
    It'll take AT LEAST 2 people to move around.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  13. Very nice - I saw that printer on www.techbargains.com but the funds were already allocated to a vacation.

No kids, we can't go on vacation because daddy needs to buy a new printer.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As another opinion to throw into the mix, I have the Canon i550 and have made at least 100 DVD covers and feel it is fantastic. The only difference between a cover I scanned from the actual dvd insert to the one I printed out is that the colors are only slightly lighter. I could probably fix it by changing scanning or printing properties, but I don't even bother as you couldn't even tell its a copy. Most people can't even tell the difference and I am just using standard glossy photo paper I get in bulk from BJ's (wholesale store like Costco's or Sam's).

The Canon is fast and can print out a dry 8x10 in under 2 minutes and the cartridges are extremely cheap (I got 3 sets of cartridges for all 3 colors and the black cartridge for $15) and easy to find. In my experience Canon printers are extremely reliable and fast and cost very little for ink. Any of the Canon printers should do the trick for you and its all about how much you want to spend.
    Quote Quote