VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm looking for a +R DL writer that can be bitset, at least for +R and +R DL disks, to become DVD-ROM. (And please don't mention Plextor; if you want to know why, I will post a separate topic, but the whole sordid story is too OT for this post.)

I've noticed that a lot of DL drives in the reviews section say they can be bitset, but the NEC 3520A that I have, for example, can only be bitset for +R DL disks--+R disks burn as +R, not ROM. (It would be nice if the info of which formats can specifically be bitset, could be included w/each drive review, unless I somehow missed it.)

So, again not to go OT, I had a Plextor 716A that bitset for +R and +R DL. I would like to find a drive that would at least do that, and if possible, also bitset +RW to ROM. It has to be a DL drive, and also, I'd like it to not have a riplock. (My NEC 3520A has a riplock, and will eventually reach around 5x at the edges of a disk, but starts out around 2x, and takes a while to ramp up.)

I know a lot of people here like Lite-on and Benq, but I don't have any experience w/those brands. After the Plextor fiasco, I also don't want to spend that much on a drive again--certainly not when the perfectly serviceable NEC cost around $60 (even tho it won't do some of the neat tricks the Plextor did.)

So, can you folks help me out w/this and tell me which drive brands and models fit my wish list? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Get a decent modified firmware for your 3520 and you will have bitsetting, riplock removed, etc., etc. Even my NEC 1300 and 2500 have riplock removed and bitsetting. Look on cdfreaks.com for firmware info:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86

I know that Liggy's and Dee's FWs are popular, maybe look into this one:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=134047
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by steve2713
    Get a decent modified firmware for your 3520 and you will have bitsetting, riplock removed, etc., etc.
    Thanks! That's great, and I may try that, but what I was really going for w/my post was to see if there even exists a drive w/the wishlist I put in my original post: no riplock, bitsets all + formats, including dual layer.

Does such a drive exist stock, off-the-shelf? Or is the only way to get this is to use hacked firmware? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Not sure, but if you want your drive will have everything you want within two minutes. If you're worried about using a hacked/modified FW I wouldn't be, I've personally done dozens of FW upgrades, from within windows and in external USB enclosures no less, and I've never had any problems whatsoever. Even if, in the very small chance, the FW flash went bad, you can almost always just revert back to the original FW in DOS.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by steve2713
    Even if, in the very small chance, the FW flash went bad, you can almost always just revert back to the original FW in DOS.
    You know, I've read that you can do that. Problem is, so far NEC hasn't released any firmware upgrades for the 3520A, and the current one isn't available on their website, so how would I revert? I recall reading somewhere about some program that can "collect" your current firmware, but I don't remember where, or even how well it works. Do you know the program I'm talking about?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Binflash can dump current firmware. Works on both OSX and Windows. Supports NEC, TDK and Mad Dog-drives.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by HLMencken
    Originally Posted by steve2713
    Get a decent modified firmware for your 3520 and you will have bitsetting, riplock removed, etc., etc.
    Thanks! That's great, and I may try that, but what I was really going for w/my post was to see if there even exists a drive w/the wishlist I put in my original post: no riplock, bitsets all + formats, including dual layer.

Does such a drive exist stock, off-the-shelf? Or is the only way to get this is to use hacked firmware? Thanks.
    I would say that the Mad Dog (rebadged NEC) drive comes the closest (ignoring Plextor). No riplock removed with out the help of Dee & Liggy f/w, but it does do auto bitset. If you have the NEC 3520, then forget about it, go with the latest Dee & Liggy contribution.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I agree with the others. I use a Nec 3520 w the liggy and Dees firmware. Works great.
    The OldeMan
    Quote Quote  
  9. piodata/pioneer 108/A08-standard +RDL set to dvdrom,dvd+r can be done with firmware.
    same with the 109/A09,best drives on the market,better than nec,they blow donkey balls,IMO.
    *dons flame retardant suit*
    LifeStudies 1.01 - The Angle Of The Dangle Is Indirectly Proportionate To The Heat Of The Beat,Provided The Mass Of The Ass Is Constant.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BenQ 1620 and LG 4163 will do what you want out of the box (i.e. without firmware mods).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mad Dog firmware for the 3520 works great for me. Just for reference here you can get them all
    http://www.micheldeboer.nl/firmware/3520.html
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by gguerra3
    Mad Dog firmware for the 3520 works great for me.
    Are you saying that I can d/l firmware from Mad Dog's site, and use it to upgrade the firmware on my stock 3520A (NEC-badged drive, not Mad Dog)?
    Quote Quote  
  13. That is correct. My 3520 came with stock firmware, I then flashed with Mad Dog 1.F3 on top of that. Just look on that page under "3520 Firmware Revisions" to see the different features each firmware offers.

Mad Dog 1.F3 offers RPC1, Rip Lock Patches, & Bitsetting.

You could also use latest NEC firmware (NEC 1.UC) which supports RPC1 and Rip Lock but not bitsetting.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HLMencken do yourself a favor and buy a BENQ 1620 drive that has bitsetting out of the box, no hacked firmware is needed. BENQ supports their drive with newer firmware that is released quite often compared to NEC drives. The only hack that is used for the BENQ 1620 is the speed read firmware. If you have a dvdrom there really is no need for the speed read firmware. I don't use any of my dvd burners to rip for me unless I have a disc that can't be read by my dvdroms. Check out the BENQ forum & NEC forum at cdfreaks.com and see for yourself which would fit your needs and budget. Newegg has the BENQ 1620 for $47.99/ $4.00 shipping for the 48 USA states. Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Just in case you're interested

NEC 3520A: $56 incl shipped from bananapc.com I've ordered three drives from them all arrived quickly. Good online store
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by RottenFoxBreath
    piodata/pioneer 108/A08-standard +RDL set to dvdrom,dvd+r can be done with firmware.
    same with the 109/A09,best drives on the market,better than nec,they blow donkey balls,IMO.
    *dons flame retardant suit*
    NEC blows your pioneer balls on the floor.....
    Quote Quote