VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Title says it all. Is there a point to this field? Should I try to match it to the language of the default audio stream? Or should I just save myself the effort?

Example of a video I have that has the Video as jap. https://imgur.com/a/u6S9s

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    it is just feature, probably when 1 mkv file contains multiple videostreams (with hardcoded subtitles???). I think it is useless but why not. Usually language is useful for audio of course, but nothing wrong to keep it in video also. As you write, probably good to match audio to original video.
    I think it is most probably useless in most cases, but it is nice to have it. There is many features in mkv container, that are supported only in some PC videoplayers or renderers, that are very useful, but in HW players they are not supported at all.
    But my words has very little weight so maybe someone else will answered better.

Edit: If properly written, at least you can know, what country made the movie.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 28th Nov 2017 at 08:01.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some DVD/BD movies, especially animated, may have in-scene texts or even title cards translated as a separate video stream ("angle"). The language attribute maybe applied to those streams.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by noobie20934812 View Post
    Title says it all. Is there a point to this field? Should I try to match it to the language of the default audio stream? Or should I just save myself the effort?
    Sane explanation is: video may have hard coded subtitles (being integral part of video) so language attribute presence may be justified (or perhaps it is easier to compose/process various data streams with unified structure where language field is always present even if this have no particular sense).
    Quote Quote