VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought the Hauppauge 1512 HD-PVR 2, great unit. But I notice that I get WARNING whenever I try to record a Movie from Directv that I saved on my Directv DVR. Would be awesome to capture these movies via the PVR unit's HDMI cable.
    The warning tells me to remove the HDMI cable. So I then connect the HD component cables and I able to record.
    My question is Other than setting the Hauppage PVR to it's highest setting which is 14 mbps, and Variable Bit Rate.
    That will produce the maximum quality and a huge file at 60fps.

So is that overkill for the Directv's HD 1080P movies? Not all are 1080P, I imagine most are 1080i, which would be the max capture setting for the Component cables? Or am I wrong?

Anyway looking for advice on this. Some older Directv Movies are probably only 720P, I believe.
    I appreciate all input and thank you in advance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    dont' set to vbr.., set it to cbr, since you want the highest quality capable with the hdpvr.

i guess i don't have your problem since my directv is SD. i would have to trash my old (RCA) round dish for their newer oval-shaped one that is for hd. at least that is what they told me in order to receive hd content and would need a new (HD) receiver/dvr unit.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I believe that component video is limited (by design) to 1080i due to is limited analog bandwidth. 1080p is usually only available on HDMI. I don't know about the 1512, but the 1212 set to CBR at 5Mbps gives me (to my eyes anyway) a decent recording (and I've recorded many), and usually yields about a 5GB size file on a 2 hour movie. I've only recorded one movie (documentary) that had some issues with complex scenes of rippling surface water filmed underwater reflecting off the bottom. The bitrate and H.264 compression struggled to keep up with the complex images, but the rest of the film recorded nicely.

You didn't say if you actually recorded anything off your DirectTV box's component outputs. I've read that they dumb down the component outputs to 480p (regardless of the source material), so you may want to double check that.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by raysurx2010 View Post
    I just bought the Hauppauge 1512 HD-PVR 2, great unit. But I notice that I get WARNING whenever I try to record a Movie from Directv that I saved on my Directv DVR. Would be awesome to capture these movies via the PVR unit's HDMI cable.
    The warning tells me to remove the HDMI cable. So I then connect the HD component cables and I able to record.
    My question is Other than setting the Hauppage PVR to it's highest setting which is 14 mbps, and Variable Bit Rate.
    That will produce the maximum quality and a huge file at 60fps.

So is that overkill for the Directv's HD 1080P movies? Not all are 1080P, I imagine most are 1080i, which would be the max capture setting for the Component cables? Or am I wrong?

Anyway looking for advice on this. Some older Directv Movies are probably only 720P, I believe.
    I appreciate all input and thank you in advance!
    To avoid the warning message when capturing from HDMI, you need to connect an HDMI splitter that removes HDCP as a side effect between the satellite receiver and the capture device. See the "HDCP strippers" thread for suggestions.

The HD-PVR 2 can't capture 1080p at 60fps. It captures 1080p60 as 1080p30 using frame decimation, which will be less smooth. 1080i and 720p can be captured at their normal frame rates.

You need to use CBR to capture at a predictable target bit rate. You can try 14 mbps upper limit with VBR, but you probably won't get the average bit rate that you expect.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nice tip on the "HDMI splitter". Thanks!
    Quote Quote