VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This is on AnandTech's website:

AT News Update: DVD Dual Layer Primer

DVD DL implies the definition; two layers of standard DVDR-5 are pressed together with a transparent spacer and a thin reflector between the two. The bottom layer (L0) is read and written to in exactly the same manner as DVDR-5. Reading and writing to the second layer (L1) is surprisingly simple; the laser simply focuses a fraction of a millimeter farther beyond the first recording layer - in focus with the L1. Since the laser is powerful enough, and L0 is transparent enough, L1 can be easily read.
    Quote Quote  
  2. So it could be done with firmware? Whoa...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by djelimon
    So it could be done with firmware? Whoa...
    probably.. but there is alot more money in selling new drives than giving away firmware upgrades.

and goddamn, $5 - $8 per dual layer disc?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'd pay $5 a disc for better quality, heck I'd even pay for the firmware update. *crossing fingers*, please Plextor, Update 708A!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. So it could be done with firmware? Whoa...
    If you have the power necessary to write to the second layer. This means 8X or above writers from what I have heard. Even with a SL 8X writer that has been upgraded via FW, I would be a little concerned about the drive thermals since you have to write for ~1/2 hr at high power. If your drive has not been designed to counteract the thermals you could fry your laser.
    The price of the media needs to be 1.5X of SL for anyone to really want it.

RG
    Quote Quote  
  6. So that adds more weight that the BenQ DW822A will be firmware upgrade to DVD9 as it promises to.

http://www.bananapc.com/products/productInfo.aspx?category_id=1120&product_id=11955&se...ng=dw822a&Op=2

* Double-Layer (+R9) Upgradable for up to 8.5GB of Data
    Quote Quote  
  7. i could see firmware put out for the burners we have now to be able to burn 2 layers but only after the dl burners have been out for awhile...
    How Big A Boy Are Ya?
    Quote Quote  
  8. This means 8X or above writers from what I have heard
    1:What you've heard isnt reliable, if you're referring to the infinitely long forum topics on this site...nobody knows what they're saying, its just guesses, since there havn't been any single layer drives upgraded yet.

2: Please, LG, (or some random h4x0r man reading this), upgrade your 4040B drive to dual layer!

Yeah, right...I see that happening...
    -Yar, matey!-
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jeex
    Where were you when DVD-R first came out?
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by D.A.R.J.R.
    I'd pay $5 a disc for better quality, heck I'd even pay for the firmware update. *crossing fingers*, please Plextor, Update 708A!!
    Don't hold your breath. Plextor is releasing the 712A next month. 12x dvd+r and 8xdvd-r. If anything that will be the drive that gets updated to dual layer firmware.

Steve
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by leebo
    Where were you both when CD-R came out?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Where were you both when CD-R came out?
    LOL, when CD-R's first came out, I didnt even have a computer that could handle more than 256 color without dying
    -Yar, matey!-
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by flaninacupboard
    i was working in an electronics store when cd-r came out
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM

i was working in an electronics store when cd-r came out
    So why are you surprised about the cost of these new discs?
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by RAAGAAman
    So it could be done with firmware? Whoa...
    If you have the power necessary to write to the second layer. This means 8X or above writers from what I have heard. Even with a SL 8X writer that has been upgraded via FW, I would be a little concerned about the drive thermals since you have to write for ~1/2 hr at high power. If your drive has not been designed to counteract the thermals you could fry your laser.
    The price of the media needs to be 1.5X of SL for anyone to really want it.

RG
    Then why dont they firmware that would first burn the first layer, stop, cool off for 2-3 minutes, then go back and write the second layer?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Then why dont they firmware that would first burn the first layer, stop, cool off for 2-3 minutes, then go back and write the second layer?
    because heat isnt the problem. Lense has to refocus. Its like saying that you want your cheap $5 sunglasses to become super-cool spy-glasses with built-in zoom support. Not gonna happen.
    -Yar, matey!-
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by flaninacupboard
    I'm still in high school, Kodak CDRs we're $5, those files we're obsolete already and some old skool games ...red alert?
    Quote Quote