VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys I want to get content from my Directv HD DVR to my computer. Would either of these work? I am running windows Vista on a Dell Core 2 Duo. I would then be able to burn the content to DVD after converting to a different format?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I give props to the hd pvr. Works great.

You have component output from the directv hd dvr correct? If not the hdpvr won't do - its only for component or composite/svideo.

I have no knowledge of the colossus so I can't support or discredit it.

By converting to dvd do you mean as a regular dvd playing on normal dvd players? You will have quality degradation on the downconversion. It will still look good but obviously not as good as the hd source.

Do you have a bluray player or a ps3? If so you can convert to avchd which can be burnt to dvdr. It is a compresed high def format that retains hd quality at a smaller compression.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you so much. This place is great. I can always count on coming here and getting the help I need. I just hope I can expand my knowledge enough to someday be a help here. Yeah I have a PS3 so I may try that and see how it woks. When it gets to my computer what format is it in?
    Quote Quote  
  4. The reason I ask is that I have found a system of working with MKV files that when burned and played on my dvd player looks the closest I have ever seen to HD on a regular DVD. I don't think I am doing anything special but I am sure in love with the quality of what I've got working for me. Thats why I am still using a 3 year old Dell laptop.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Either should work with a component out from your DirecTV box. They are Vista compatible, but there's no way to tell for certain if they would work with your computer given the infomation posted so far.

This is what Hauppauge says about hardware requirements for the Colossus. Requirements for the HD PVR USB are similar except it uses a USB port instead of a PCIe slot.

Note: when playing back video recordings made with the Colossus, a fast CPU and at least 256MB of graphics memory are needed.
    Processor Requirements (minimum for HD playback): Dual core CPU 2.0GHz or faster
    Windows 7 (32 and 64-bit), Windows Vista or Windows XP service pack 2 (32-bit).
    Graphics with 256MB memory (or greater)
    PCI Express x1 slot
    Sound card for audio playback
    CD-ROM drive for installing the Colossus software
    If you plan to use them with Vista's Media Center you will need to buy the appropriate DVBLink plug-in. http://1geek1tool.com/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yearofthespider2k3
    Yeah I have a PS3 so I may try that and see how it woks. When it gets to my computer what format is it in?
    I don't know anything about the colussus but for the hdpvr it records in h264 video. You can record to .ts, .m2ts, or .mp4 file containers. If you don't want any menus you can simply record as .m2ts and burn that do a dvdr and play it straight away with the ps3. Avchd lets you make menus and chapters and make it look like a dvd or bluray. Multiavchd is the tool to use to make it more customizable than the limited menu options that the arcsoft software provides that comes with the hdpvr.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I guess the PCI knocks the colussus out of the running. Where do I look to find out about my graphics. I am not really concerned with the playback on my computer. I will usually wing it through and make sure it looks good and then burn it. I do have several sets of software that seem to play back HD files really well as compared to windows media or whatever but they playback as a preview of the video so as long as its good there I haven't had a problem with it. I am very unscientific with my methods. I run a method if it works well I keep it. I may try something new but if it doesn't work then I go back to the old way. Once I have a system I rarely change it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yearofthespider2k3 View Post
    I guess the PCI knocks the colussus out of the running. Where do I look to find out about my graphics.
    I would look at the Dell's website. As I recall you can look up your own system configuration based on a number printed on a tag they stick on the computer.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks Quiet and everyone else who has chimed in. I really appreciate the help. I hope I can someday be of some help like everyone on this whole forum is. I have never had a question go unanswered or gotten a rude or jerkish response.
    Quote Quote  
  10. There are many sample videos from the HD PVR around the web. The samples at this site are pretty old (the software has more options since then) but should give you some ideas:

http://blog.arogan.com/2008/06/hauppauge-hd-pvr-model-1212.html
    Quote Quote