VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I want to watch movies from the website outside of the US. However, the movie has the country/area restrictions. The website may detect the country by the IP address. So I am unable to watch the movies from the website outside of the US. Is it possible to hide the general location based on the IP address?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by coody View Post
    I want to watch movies from the website outside of the US. However, the movie has the country/area restrictions. The website may detect the country by the IP address. So I am unable to watch the movies from the website outside of the US. Is it possible to hide the general location based on the IP address?
    The ip address doesn't disclose location. The owner of the ip address does.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could use a public proxy server to make sites think you have a different IP, but that is not really useful for watching video, as your bandwidth will be severely restricted by using a proxy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I use Hotspot Shield to watch the occasional American TV show or special.
    http://hotspotshield.com/
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Am I right to assume this is only good for gaining access to US-only material (I suppose their server is located there)? IOW it's no good for UK-restricted BBC stuff, for example?

Also I note this from their website:
    AnchorFree may deliver third-party advertisements ("Advertisements") within the content of any web page accessed. Advertisements may be injected into the top of the page, inserted directly into the page content, or even displayed to overlay the page. You hereby acknowledge and consent that AnchorFree may alter the content of any web page accessed for the purpose of displaying Advertisements. Additionally from time to time, AnchorFree may prevent any user's access to the product or continued use thereof until such user has successfully participated in applicable advertising programs, surveys, or other activities that collect and monetize users' personal information.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How To Watch Streaming Video Anywhere in the World
    http://gizmodo.com/5713626/how-to-watch-streaming-us-programming-abroad

You either
    1) get ads
    2) pay a few dollars a month or
    3) get lousy speed.

Or in the worst case, all three.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Gavino View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Am I right to assume this is only good for gaining access to US-only material (I suppose their server is located there)? IOW it's no good for UK-restricted BBC stuff, for example?
    I believe you have a choice of proxies to pick from in the setup. As far as ads go....I don't give a damn about them. I block them as best I can in my normal, everyday internet travels but for the "once per month" I fire up Hotspot Shield...I simply don't give a sh!t....that the nicest way I can say it.
    Quote Quote