VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Newbie here. I've been trying to make a compilation DVD of my favorite live Dylan performances taken from 15 different DVD-Rs in my collection.

Since I'm only extracting songs, the specific .vob chapters markers are already set so I just extracted the chapters I wanted to the hard drive using DVD Decrypter in IFO mode, renamed them all (VTS_01_1, VTS_01_2, etc.), put them in a VIDEO_TS folder and burned it along with a blank AUDIO_TS folder (just like a regular DVD). I assumed I wouldn't need the .IFO or .BUP but It didn't work. I've got a data dvd that doesn't play on a standalone but I can play individual .vobs on my computer.

I did it this way because I don't really care about menus and I don't really want to buy or install high-end software like Nero or Easy Media Creator. I only need it for this one project. My Sonic DVD authoring software works fine for everything else but it doesn't recognize .vob files and doesn't work all that well for extracting chapters.

Can anybody help me out? Tell me what I'm doing wrong? Point me in the direction of some helpful freeware or guides? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need to author those vts files into a new dvd ... (this will create the needed ifo/bup files) ... use guifordvdauthor or dvdauthorgui for this job ... both apps are front ends for the app dvdauthor (dvdauthor is a command line tool and therefore the 2 gui apps make it easier to use with windows) .... both these tools are freeware

To burn the resultant folders created by the above apps use imgburn ... also free

Look in the tools section on this site to get all the apps mentioned
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your player doesn't know what to do with the VOBs, even if there isn't an on-screen menu, it still needs to be told a sequence to play them in.

You do need to reauthor, but there's plenty of free ways to do it.

The VOBs are essentially MPEG files.

One way to use them: Get ReJig
    File mode
    Select your VOBs
    You'll see the streams (at least video and audio, perhaps subtitles). Select all of those and press "demux".
    That will create a video file (.m2v) and an audio (probably .ac3)

Do that for all the VOBs.

Now you need an authoring app (Rejig can make simple disks with one title, but you need more).

GuiforDVDAuthor is free. It can take these m2v and ac3 files and make a single DVD.
    Normally it makes a menu, but you can select not to, it will just play them in order then.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVDShrink will not accept .VOB files without the assocciated .IFO/BUP files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by psx_pirate
    DVDShrink will not accept .VOB files without the assocciated .IFO/BUP files
    I know he will have to rip them again to seperate folders.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome to VideoHelp!
    Use TMPGEnc DVD Author or other authoring app that accepts VOB as source files, and author "for real". TDA comes with a free 30 day trial.
    You could also convert your VOBs to MPG (the real source material for DVD creation) with VOB2MPG and author with any authoring app like free GUIforDVDAuthor.

Calling Nero and Easy Media Creator high-end is not really what I'd do in public.

<edit>WOW! No less than 5 relies while I was typing (and putting up an IKEA cupboard in my bathroom)</edit>
    /Mats
    Quote Quote  
  7. Haha, "high-end" as in the stuff someone at Best Buy would suggest for $79.99.

What about IFOedit? Will that create the .ifos I need without demuxing?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by something clever

What about IFOedit? Will that create the .ifos I need without demuxing?
    Yes BUT you will have to demux the video and audio first.
    It's easier just to use TDA(for menus) or DVDShrink(no menus).
    Quote Quote