VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, buddy!

I recently noticed that my encoders were decreasing in size, so I decided to compare with the old ones. I noticed that the bitrate was coming down, initially, my encoders at 720x480 x264 epsodios with 30 mins kept a bitrate between 1500 ~ 2000, but now they are with 1000 ~ 1300. I particularly think it bitrate is bit. I think it can cause debanding in darker scenes and in some I actually see them.

I left the MEGUI and started to use the x264 (command line) where I got better results, 3000 ~ 4500 in the same episodes, since the encoder is very fast and seems more efficient. Even using the CRF 10 I still think it's keeping less than the encoders I see on the internet.

The question is: Is there a way to keep a minimum bitrate range using CRF? I know and use the encoder in 2pass, but it takes a bit longer. The question is in relation to the CRF mode.

I read a lot in chaneru and in the x264 manual, I came up with some parameters that helped, but wanted to know if there is anything more specific that can be changed.

I accept suggestions for the megui too.

My current line:

Code:
    avs4x26x.exe --x26x-binary "C:\#####\x264\x264-r2901-7d0ff22.exe" x264 --preset medium --tune animation --profile high --level 4.2 --crf 10 --deblock 1:-1 --min-keyint 25 --bframes 4 --b-adapt 2 --b-pyramid normal --scenecut 40 --ref 6 --weightp 2 --qpmin 10 --qpmax 51 --vbv-bufsize 62500 --vbv-maxrate 50000 --vbv-init 1.0 --qcomp 0.75 --no-mbtree --rc-lookahead 60 --aq-mode 3 --aq-strength 1.0 --merange 32 --me umh --direct auto --subme 9 --partitions all --trellis 2 --psy-rd 1.00:0.00 --no-dct-decimate --no-fast-pskip --sar 32:27 --output "C:\####.mkv" "C:\####.avs"

Thanks for the help, gentlemen
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Kuronoe View Post
    H
    The question is: Is there a way to keep a minimum bitrate range using CRF? I know and use the encoder in 2pass, but it takes a bit longer. The question is in relation to the CRF mode.
    Not directly , not precisely - but there are ways to influence it on the encoding side

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/390603-Can-we-set-min-bitrate-for-CRF-mode-encode

There are also ways to influence it on the preparation side, by filtering, dithering, adding fine grain to dark scenes selectively
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the help, poisondeathray.
    I went through this topic yesterday while looking for information about it.

I'm testing mode aq, a good result I had was like I left on the command line above.

I thought I might have some other that I did not see out of inattention or because I did not find it while reading the manual.
    I'll test other values for now
    Quote Quote  
  4. Add small amount of noise to Y plane and your bitrate will go immediately up.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi, pandy.

I'm not sure how to do this the right way without giving problem with my avs. I use some denoise in my avs script, as I usually do old DVD encoder. I usually use QTGMC with some denoise settings.

I do not know how to add noise in the way you're suggesting.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I know how this sound but noise improve sharpness perceived by human eye.
    There is many noise sources in Avisynth http://avisynth.nl/index.php/External_filters#Effects - add noise to Y only.
    Quote Quote