VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!

Im new here and was just having a little trouble with something in regaurds to VCDs.

Ok, I know how to make the VCDs, and play them on my DVD player. The problem is sometimes after I have burnt the disc and go play it in my player the audio and video becomes out of sync.

Now my DVD player is a stand alone on my TV, but when I go play the disc in my computer drive the audio and video are fine and in sync.

Why is it that sometimes the A/V get out of sync when played in my DVD?

Is there anyway around it or how to avoid it without re-encoding it.

I know all about decompressing the video file before I do, and I also know about encoding a VCD with a different audio file. These things I already do.

I just need some info on avoiding this problem so it doesnt happen again.

Thxs
    Quote Quote  
  2. goren

You have to give more info.

What is the source file type ? What tools are you using ? What exact procedure are you following to create you VCDs ? How is the sync problem ? Is it gradual or starts right at the beginning of the movie ?
    When I was born I was so shocked that I could'nt speak for 18 months.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sanjayk
    goren

You have to give more info.

What is the source file type ? What tools are you using ? What exact procedure are you following to create you VCDs ? How is the sync problem ? Is it gradual or starts right at the beginning of the movie ?
    Ok, the sources are usually AVIs, I use TMPEG sometimes, but also Mainconcept MPG Encoder.
    What I do is 4 steps really, I take the AVI file and decompress the audio, then I encode, split into 2 parts, then burn at slow speed, and done.
    But my sync problem happeneds right at the beginning of the movie when it happens. Id say it happenes 10% of the time.

Now This only seems to happen with 700MB files, and not always but sometimes. It never seems to happen with 1.37GB premade releases I get. So tell me what am I missing?

Can you help?
    Quote Quote  
  4. This is the procedure I follow and therefore suggest to you.

1. Open AVI in VirtualDubMod and demux the audio as it is. Go to Streams > Streams List > Demux.

2. Convert audio to MPEG-1 Layer II (MP2) audio with HeadAC3he. This is the audio standard for VCDs & SVCDs. This will give you a .MP2 file.

3. Disable the audio in VirtualDubMod, Select "Direct Stream Copy" for video and create an AVI file with video ONLY.

4. Open this video-only AVI in TMPGEnc and encode to Elementary Stream video of type MPEG-1 for VCD and type MPEG-2 for SVCD. This step will create .M1V file or .M2V file depending on your selection. You have to take care of other option like aspect ratio, framerate, bitrate etc ...

5. Once you get this ES file (.M1V or .M2V), next step is to multiplex the video & audio together. In TMPGEnc use Mpeg Options > Simple Multiplex to mux the files to a MPEG file.

6. Use this MPEG file in Nero or VCDEasy to create the VCD or SVCD.

The above steps have worked for me all the time. Hope they work for you also. I dont use MainConcept because many times the encoded file has "No Audio". So I stopped using it and stuck to TMPGEnc instead.

Good Luck.
    When I was born I was so shocked that I could'nt speak for 18 months.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The problem is obviously that if you are aiming for 2 cd's the splited parts are out of synch, while the whole file is in synch. If so, how you split them?
    Quote Quote