VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Recently purchased a 2.5 hard drive enclosure off Amazon and put in a 640gb old laptop drive. Didn't need to save anything on it so I formatted and partitioned it using Easus Partion Master. It works fine on my Windows 64 machine but neither my TV or Sony player recognize it and the both work with various other Hard Drives (WD external,IOmega, thumb drives etc.)

The enclosure came with a Y usb cord and works with just fine with just one of the Y's plugged in on my desktop and seems to spin up (led comes on also) when plugged into both media devices even when I plugged both ends of the Y in (thinking it might of been a power issue).

Any ideas or thoughts would be great
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Why partition it?
    Quote Quote  
  3. NTFS vs. FAT?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Fat32 because my Sony BRplayer only supports FAT32.

i tried switching it to ntfs my tv reads both but same issue (tv doesnt even see the drive -Im thinking power now)
    Last edited by sfs1965; 14th Apr 2014 at 11:35.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Again....why and how did you partition it?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Once i put the hard drive in the cases it still had three of the laptop old partions on it (recover etc.). I deleted all of them and just wanted to start from scratch. So I used EaseUS Partion Master
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You need to hook that up to your computer and work with it in Disk Management under Administrative Tools, obviously your partition software was pointing at the wrong part(ition) of the HDD.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Will Disk Management do anything that Partition Master didnt??
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What model sony blu-ray player you have?My sony bdp-s380 is 3 years old and reads both ntfs and fat32.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sfs1965 View Post
    Recently purchased a 2.5 hard drive enclosure off Amazon and put in a 640gb old laptop drive. Didn't need to save anything on it so I formatted and partitioned it using Easus Partion Master. It works fine on my Windows 64 machine but neither my TV or Sony player recognize it and the both work with various other Hard Drives (WD external,IOmega, thumb drives etc.)

The enclosure came with a Y usb cord and works with just fine with just one of the Y's plugged in on my desktop and seems to spin up (led comes on also) when plugged into both media devices even when I plugged both ends of the Y in (thinking it might of been a power issue).

Any ideas or thoughts would be great
    Does that enclosure have its own external power supply? You have to plug that in if that's the case. Consider that
    • USB2 is current limited to about 500mA; USB3 at twice that
    • an old 640GB laughtop drive may well draw more than those
    • TVs and DVD/Bluray player USB ports will only provide <500mA, flakily near even that
    • Y-connector is for drawing more current, tough that the TV/player may only have one USB connector; if it senses more current being drawn it shuts down the port in lieu of smoke & fireworks
    • PCs have lots of reserve power so any current >500mA momentarily drawn off a USB2 port will not make the connected drive miss a beat
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  11. No power supply (usb only). TV has two usb but no luck there either. hard drive was three years old ish. no worries good for data storage. Still strange that my three other external hard drives work without a hitch (two toshiba and an i omega)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sfs1965 View Post
    No power supply (usb only). TV has two usb but no luck there either. hard drive was three years old ish. no worries good for data storage. Still strange that my three other external hard drives work without a hitch (two toshiba and an i omega)
    Not really. All external hard drives have two main parts: the hard drive within the case (nowadays SATA; ancient ones IDE or PATA), and the SATA/IDE-to-USB bridge circuit. While it's safe to assume the drives inside your two toshiba external are, well, toshiba, we don't know what drive there is in the iomega. You haven't even said what brand or type of hard drive the "640GB laughtop drive" is. Is it SATA or PATA? Different hard-drive/bridge circuit combinations can make for different performance levels. When both are manufactured or at least assembled together by the same entity, they already know what combinations will give the best performance. This predictability mostly is absent with external enclosures because the enclosure manufacturer can't know what type of drive you will shove in there. Some external enclosures use chipsets in the bridge circuit that are paired with badly written drivers that come with it. Some bridge circuit-hard drive combinations will not work.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  13. So sorry SATA. I did find another SATA laptop drive 500 gb that Ill try and see what happens.

Thanks to all for all the helpful thoughts and knowledge Ill let you know what happens with the other drive
    Quote Quote  
  14. So I swapped the 640 gb sata for an older 500 gb sata and works with the TV. I guess the 640 might have different power requirements.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!