VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded 12 DVDs (fitness workout series) and burned them only to find 3 of them go straight to playing the main movie rather than showing me the menu first like the rest of the DVDs.

I can get to the menu if I manually stop the movie and navigate there with my remote, so I know the menu exists, it just doesn't show up on these 3 like the rest when initially inserted in my player.

Is there a way to repair this?

In my search for an answer I have found a couple suggestions including the use of "IFOEDIT" and "FIXVTS"...

It could be that I did not correctly utilize these programs as the issue they were suggested to solve was slightly different than mine. These programs were recommended to address the video file compliance test failing on a burn attempt.
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by perceptionist
    Is there a way to repair this?
    PGCEdit. Trace through the video and back to the menu, and then set that as the start point.
    This method allows you to jump to any menu or title on insertion of your DVD, setting the audio and subtitle streams of your choice and by-passing anything in your way (e.g. annoying FBI warnings, studio promos and Dolby Digital trailers) and having all the DVD's internal registers set exactly as they would be if the commands followed the original path.
    Note – If you want the DVD to start at the menu but it actually starts directly with the main movie, just let it run through until it gets back to the main menu.
    http://www.digital-digest.com/~blutach/Jump2PGC/Jump2PGC_guide.html

This assumes that the DVD goes to the menu after playing the video (test to make sure - jump to near the end of the video and wait and see if it goes to the menu when the video is finished). If it never touches the menu, you have to edit the navigation commands which is a bit harder, but still doable.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for PCGEdit. It was way over my head when I started with it, but I think I am slowly figuring it out with the help of the link you provided.

The program says I must trace to the PCG (rather than manually click it) when attempting to select "Jump to PGC upon DVD insert"....

I just am not getting how to do this although I accidentally got it twice and have successfully "repaired" 2 of my problem DVDs. I just wish I knew what I did...

I am totally new to this so bear with me on how I am explaining....

I will be on the correct PCG but apparantly not on the correct line within that PCG as I get the following message:

trace%20again.bmp

So what I do is just...

click step, then try selecting "Jump to PGC upon DVD insert"

if I get that wrong line message, I then...

click step, then try selecting "Jump to PGC upon DVD insert"

and so on.

Sometimes if I am lucky I will stumble on the correct line.

I like this program, I just need to figure out this trace feature....
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by perceptionist
    The program says I must trace to the PCG (rather than manually click it) when attempting to select "Jump to PGC upon DVD insert"....
    That's right. Open the Trace and hit "Next PB". Apparently at the time the guide was written there was only a "Step". Doing it that way is useful in order to learn about DVD structure and the command chain, but it's awfully slow. In your case you probably only have to hit "Next PB" twice. It'll stop first at the movie and then at the menu, after the movie finishes. Don't hit "Next PB" again to actually see the menu. At that point right-click on the greyed-out menu and "Toggle PGC Pre/Post Breakpoint" so that the menu line turns red. Repeat the Trace from the beginning until you get back to the red menu. Then go PGC->Jump To PGC Upon DVD Insert, followed by saving your work and testing in a software DVD player before burning to disc.
    Quote Quote