VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Is there out there a video camera that allows taking a single frame pic at a time? Like the old cartoon cells they used to draw & photograph, one frame at a time to create a cartoon movie.

Are vid cams like film as 24 (or so) frames / second? Can one set any camera to shoot say one frame/second or even less?

I want to create an animated flick from drawing(s) with pencils, felt pens, paint, whatever.

Ideas??

-c-

(also, not tooo expensive of a camera, , ,)
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  2. These days this is usually done with a digital still camera (see the canon credit at the end of "Isle of Dogs.") Then the individual frames can be imported into your editor as an image sequence.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you can find an inexpensive camera with a remote so you don't jog the camera between shots, that would work.
    Also a frame to hold your drawings so they have a fixed position. And maybe a tripod with a reversible center post
    to hold the camera above the frame, or some other rigid mount. This is sort of how they did early cartoons.
    Add some acetate sheets for changeable backgrounds and use paint or sharpies on the acetate.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinteresting/comments/4ap5at/how_cartoons_were_made_in_the_1950s/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well why not do it the way, they used to do it
    mount the camera to face down at the 'table' aka frame
    its in a fixed position, and fixed focal length
    place a drawing click the shutter
    change the drawing, press the shutter
    do one a minute , one an hour, how fast you take them does not matter
    its total manual control
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    “Video” cameras don’t much have this feature. What they might have, if anything, would be a manual “still grab”.
    Part of this has to do with processing and bandwidth: most cams are (at best) 4K or 1080p in video mode - that means 8 or 2 megapixels respectively, but when utilizing still mode (and this may occur with grabs), the Rez might be 12, 24, or even higher megapixels.
    Video just has too much data going on so something has to suffer and it usually is Rez, or framerate .

"Still” cams usually don’t compromise on the Rez, so they almost always start from a point of less frames capability.

Most times with stills, this figure is known as “continuous shooting”. Think of the auto-winding motors of old film slrs.

If you truly don’t want to go that route, there’s always “time-lapse” or multiple timed-release or bulb modes, auto-bracketing modes, or if you have a pro video camera, there is “variable frame rate” (not to be confused with consumer phonecam vfr).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    your right
    i was thinking about still cameras
    which might be best for what he wants to do, use it with a remote shutter button
    still camera is how cartoon animations were originally created
    and how stop motion animation is still done
    Disney animations are still done 'one frame at a time'
    they just draw them on the computer instead of paper and celluloid
    Quote Quote  
  7. I would go for cheap Canon with working software like bellow (check supported HW list) and control camera trough script...
    http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
    http://magiclantern.fm/index.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Things to get.

Tripod, can even get the $20 Amazon brand tripod.

Camera that supports external trigger. Can get 10 year old model DSLR (cropped) cameras for pretty cheap ($100-$200) on ebay with kit lens, that still look better than anything modern cellphone camera can take and support larger than 4K images. Like my Canon Rebel 450D. External trigger is usually 20-$50 depending on if you want it wireless.

Take photos of each frame and then stitch them together in your favorite NLE.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    well why not do it the way, they used to do it
    mount the camera to face down at the 'table' aka frame
    its in a fixed position, and fixed focal length
    place a drawing click the shutter
    change the drawing, press the shutter
    do one a minute , one an hour, how fast you take them does not matter
    its total manual control
    I did this many years ago with an 8mm movie camera, what I want to do is this with an electronic video camera.
    I know how, I dont know with what. (camera)

Used to have several 8mm cameras (no super 8!) & a Beaulieu (french) 16mm camera.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    what I want to do is this with an electronic video camera.
    I know how, I dont know with what. (camera)
    I can understand already having a video camera and wanting to use that, but actually wanting to buying a video camera to for the purpose of taking single pictures is a new one.
    Last edited by KarMa; 2nd May 2018 at 03:53. Reason: Grammar
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    Take photos of each frame and then stitch them together in your favorite NLE.
    What is NLE?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Non Linear Editor

the video editing software
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    ...other shoe drops.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm looking for this as well.

A couple of cameras I have do time lapse to movie - which is convenient checking out in a flash what you just did.
    So extension with remote triggering instead of internal timer - is all that is needed.

Panasonic has this stop motion animation which is done through stills - but it makes a collection for you to watch in realtime.

It's tedious to do all computer work and NLE and stuff before you can see if sequence you did really worked well - or has to be redone.
    Doing time lapse an afternoon - I got 6000 images - that took 24 hours to convert from raw to 16:9 images ready for NLE.

Are there folks at Magic Lantern that do custom work - I'm ready to pay up for a good solution?

Best regards
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    My old Sony TRV-900 had a still image function. But that's 1990s tech.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.
    It is a mystery how absent single frame is - according to specs Canon XA11 should have - but manual does not mention a single word I could find.

Bigger newer models XA50 does not even specify it. Buys at Canon Professional services are to get back to me on that.

I found a JVC GZ-RY980 that has well thought out time lapse - and difference is just whether you can do triggering externally from instead of internal timer which I could not figure out.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    “Video” cameras don’t much have this feature. ...

Scott
    My Sony AX53 videocamera can take single shots HD and 4KD. Also timelapse (till 1") and 999 pictures....
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by laurentje View Post
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    “Video” cameras don’t much have this feature. ...

Scott
    My Sony AX53 videocamera can take single shots HD and 4KD. Also timelapse (till 1") and 999 pictures....
    Thank you for the tip, perfect, will check it out.

I assume you mean single shots creating a video clip, that is what I look for.
    Last edited by larioso; 8th Jun 2019 at 14:54.
    Quote Quote