VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. 12 bit or 16 bit sound? Camcorder gives these two options. Which is better and why do they have two? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    12 bit is used for 4 track .. 16bit for two track ..

most people use 2 track
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, I'll use the 16 bit then. Curious, the higher the bit- the better the sound too ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes

for example - dts audio cd's are 20bit
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sorry to resurect this. I'm curious why the default is 12 bit. Every time I record on my camcorder, it has "16bit" displayed. Just wanted to make sure this was the better of the choices and why not set as a default? (does it take more tape or something) thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Nope, no more no less tape. I myself have wondered why the default is 12-bit.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Always use 16 bit sound recording. Some NLS have problem working with 12 bit recorded sound.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The 12 bit is at 32K sample rate, it's used for 4 channel recording. My Sony lets me use CH 1 and 2 for audio while recording the video and 3 and 4 for a 'Voice Over' track. The 16 bit is at 48K sample rate on Ch 1 and 2. This is the default audio sample rate for DVD. So any recording using the 12 bit audio would need converted to 48K for use in a DVD project. I don't know why they all seem to come set to 12Bit 32K audio, if I'm doing a voice-over I'll do it in post.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JimJohnD
    I don't know why they all seem to come set to 12Bit 32K audio, if I'm doing a voice-over I'll do it in post.
    I've been told that Japanese commonly use 12-bit 4 track for overdubbing in-camera, so the manufacturers set that to the default. Not a good idea, but ...
    Quote Quote  
  10. One thing to note is that Premiere (and possibly other NLEs) doesn't like combining 12 bit and 16bit audio in the same project. So don't switch the setting while shooting video you may want to edit togethet later on.

Unless you're using multiple mics while taping you want 16bit.
    Quote Quote