VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What are others thoughts about adding a rating/rank system that would show up on the members profile. There are a couple of handfuls of regulars here that I wholeheartedly support (and try to show that support by endorsing their post when possible) because of their knowledge and patience with other posters, especially new members.

I often see threads filled with outdated or incorrect info, particularly from new members who pass on what they've seen on Youtube, read somewhere or worked for them (with low quality). Often, the advice given by the members with a known (to those who have been here a while) is ignored because faster, cheaper, easier and good enough sways those who don't know better. Sometimes causing them to return with "Why don't my captures look as good as someone else's?" *SIGH*
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    What are others thoughts about adding a rating/rank system that would show up on the members profile.
    VBulliten can easily add this feature, but it requires a non-trivial database upgrade. The system usually works without issue, but a lot of people just don't want to deal with it from an administrative perspective. If they do however, I'd strongly suggest disabling negative ratings and only leave thanks or like buttons, with no disagreement buttons.

The sites with negative rep are consistently more hostile than the ones that lack it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    +1

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. I strongly oppose such a change for a number of reasons:

1) It promotes and encourages "group think" while discouraging people thinking for themselves.

2) It promotes "cliques" where a small group will constantly "rep" or "+1" each other while leaving "negs" or "-1" to those not in their clique.

If you want to see what this type of system does go visit the bodybuilding.com forums, where group think is rampant, certain beliefs are taken as gospel and if anyone dares to challenge them they get bombarded with negative reputation points (or banned).

Any time i see these types of setups I'm reminded of Einstein and the paper the Nazi party had commissioned against him titled "100 scientists against Einstein", where they got 100 physicists to give reasons why Relativity was wrong. When a reporter ask Einstein for a comment on the paper he replied "If I was wrong, one would have been enough".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's always been the problem with free advice .......... you don't know if it's any good or not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    I strongly oppose such a change for a number of reasons:

1) It promotes and encourages "group think" while discouraging people thinking for themselves.

2) It promotes "cliques" where a small group will constantly "rep" or "+1" each other while leaving "negs" or "-1" to those not in their clique.

If you want to see what this type of system does go visit the bodybuilding.com forums, where group think is rampant, certain beliefs are taken as gospel and if anyone dares to challenge them they get bombarded with negative reputation points (or banned).

Any time i see these types of setups I'm reminded of Einstein and the paper the Nazi party had commissioned against him titled "100 scientists against Einstein", where they got 100 physicists to give reasons why Relativity was wrong. When a reporter ask Einstein for a comment on the paper he replied "If I was wrong, one would have been enough".
    That was a propaganda ploy. The NAZIs knew that his knowledge was legit good science, they just wanted to publicly deny & de-legitamize it, all the while they were secretly trying to coopt the info for their own nefarious purposes.

That was also an extreme example of a rare (genius) exception to the usual rule of consensus of the body of knowledge.

But I agree that one should tread lightly with that kind of feedback, for all the reasons that have been stated. But also because it is hard to separate the message from the messenger, and hard to avoid pre-existing bias (positive or negative), and hard to weight evaluative standing (witness Yelp's reviews).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post

also on boards.ie thanks whores in a love in with each other making fun of anyone who disagrees
    It would be a good idea if not abused. Jagabo here always v helpful to me
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'd like to think that most people here would do a little due diligence before taking anyone's post as "gospel". It's not difficult to read a few other threads where that person has been involved and decide whether they know what they're talking about or not. I'd hate for VHelp to become one of those sites where some people are constantly vying for likes or upvotes to validate their pitiful existence. (They're usually the ones who upvote their own posts!)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not necessary for me. I decide for myself what I think about members here. Others decide for themselves. (theoretically!) What purpose does it serve to 'keep score'? I dont even know if theres the option of an 'ignore list' here, never looked. Dont need one here. So far, haha!

-c-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    If you want to see what this type of system does go visit
    I concur.

StackOverflow is semi-useless because of the upvote/downvote system. I despise that place. (Worse yet, lots of power-mad mods love to shut down threads because "its' already been answered", yet nobody can never find the mythical pre-existing thread.)

Manual admin/mod based promotions is better -- but only when the admin/mods also are not a-holes (also not always easy to find). Generally speaking, it's just a basic acknowledgement that the person both knows his stuff, and helps others. But at some places, it's just not needed. Most intelligent people get a feel for who knows stuff, and who is a clueless crank.

Also agree with TimA-C.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    StackOverflow is semi-useless because of the upvote/downvote system. I despise that place.
    Well I'd up-vote that!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Whenever I see a forum/comments section with stuff like casting votes on peeps I feel like throwing up.
    Quote Quote