VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    The ad for "Free 2018 Gun Laws Map" violates the posted rules of this forum and should be removed.

Gun Laws are a hot political issue in the USA.

Keep VIDEOHELP free of politics.

2. You want to ban it because you do not like that advertised product, not because it is a hot political issue. Let's be straight here.

Search Comp PM
    Let's be double straight .... gun laws in the US are a hot political issue

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bendixG15 View Post
    The ad for "Free 2018 Gun Laws Map" violates the posted rules of this forum and should be removed.

Gun Laws are a hot political issue in the USA.

Keep VIDEOHELP free of politics.
    Most of the ads I see are related to shopping websites where I've recently browsed. That being said I have seen political advertising at VideoHelp from Google AdSense (rarely), but I haven't seen this one yet. I'm not sure these ads can be stopped if Google is choosing them based on our searches.

A funny thing happened while I was writing this. I went back to VideoHelp's home page for a moment and I saw an ad for an organization which has a stated political orientation, which is really odd because it doesn't match my political orientation or that of the news sites I've been visiting.

[Edit]@bendixG15 I just saw the ad you are writing about. It is for an organization, not somebody selling a map. There is no reason why I'd be seeing this ad either based on my searches.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 10th Jul 2018 at 01:36.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329

1. Ad is visible only for US people.
    2. To not see Ad's you can use widely available adblockers.
    To be honest large part of world can only dream about US constitution that provide US People right to remove tyranny of the bad government - Your country is unique and founded on People will not government oppression (even if with time you more or less voluntary give-up your citizen rights to bureaucracy and corruption).

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Search Comp PM
    Agreed, nuke it.
    It's probably some shady ad, trying to slip by normal rules of the ad network.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 27th Jul 2018 at 05:00.

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Reading Google's policy (available via the AddChoices button at the top left corner of the ad), thread titles may be to blame for the political ads!

Google says:
    This ad is based on:
    The information on the website you were viewing
    The time of day or your general location (like your country or city)
    I don't use an AdBlocker at VideoHelp because I don't want to deprive the site of the revenue, so, I tried clicking on the "x" at the top left corner of the ad, and then clicked "Stop seeing this ad" plus one of the reasons offered to me, to see if I could avoid political ads that way. After I finished I was treated to an ad asking me to vote on impeaching ___, plus, a different ad from the same gun rights group.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329

7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I will check if I can find it in google adsense and block it.

Search Comp PM
    Thank you.................

9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm. I can't find any. Can you take a screenshot if you see it?

Search Comp PM
    Comes in different shapes.....here's one
    Click image for larger version

Name:	GunMap1.png
Views:	416
Size:	415.7 KB
ID:	46193

that link leads to...

Name:	GunMap2.png
Views:	466
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	46194

And while making this post, this ad pops up...

Name:	GunMap3.png
Views:	371
Size:	379.0 KB
ID:	46195
    Last edited by bendixG15; 26th Jul 2018 at 15:37.

11. Member
    Search PM
    Ever search for something on Google and then ads start popping up for it on other sites? Same thing is happening here. You're making it worse for yourself by clicking on them.

12. install firefox, if not already installed
    run "firefoxe.exe -p"
    create new profile

install adblocker like uBlock origin, ... to block ads if you like

13. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    To be honest …
    That is not honest at all. It is called the Fallacy of Relative Privation, i.e., the complaint is unjustified because circumstances are worse someplace else in the world.

14. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    usconcealedcarry.net should now be blocked. It might take some hours before they are removed.

15. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    To be honest …
    That is not honest at all. It is called the Fallacy of Relative Privation, i.e., the complaint is unjustified because circumstances are worse someplace else in the world.
    Don't get me wrong (i know you will get me wrong but anyway it must be written) - You guys (US) has this very unique privilege given you by very wise people long time ago - right to protect yourself against oppression of the bad government - this is completely opposite when compared to other so called democracies where government's don't allow citizens to protect themselves against bad government at all (take for example European Union full of slogans about human rights and banned death penalty however not many people knows that those EU bureaucrats created law legalising capital punishment against EU law Protocol No. 6 and Protocol No. 13 even for riots - this is part of so called Lisbon Treaty). You (US) are free (still but quickly loosing this) people, We (Europeans) are cattle in corral...
    So if someone feel offended by gun then OK - i respect that but this is personal and he/she should behave individually not block en mass making big fuzz on whole forum. This was my point - I appreciate right to make own choice, don't like when someone choosing something for me in my name without asking me.

Search Comp PM
    right to protect yourself against oppression of the bad government
    It's not the intention, the wording, or the history of the Second Amendment. That's a bastardization that has been in existence for about 25 years at most. Read the Second Amendment: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." It says nothing, or even alludes to, some mythic need for citizens to arm themselves against tyranny from their own federal government.

17. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    right to protect yourself against oppression of the bad government
    It's not the intention, the wording, or the history of the Second Amendment. That's a bastardization that has been in existence for about 25 years at most. Read the Second Amendment: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." It says nothing, or even alludes to, some mythic need for citizens to arm themselves against tyranny from their own federal government.
    It says you have right to gun so at least in theory you may counterbalance government guns. This was my point. Please - this is sensitive topic for US - i know and i respect your perspective but topic was started with advertisement banner and my point was if you don't like particular ad you can censor internet by yourself not demand censorship from someone else.

18. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't want any gun law discussion. Try reddit for that...

Search Comp PM
    Politics is dangerous!
    Last edited by azmoth; 29th Jul 2018 at 15:43.

Search Comp PM
    Politics about death and weapons, gungho in so many ways. Those laws/rights were made by sensible wise people of the past(respect!) and now reduced to silly adverts on a video site! WTF! Video Help is video help for people not survivalists/para military types, nor NRA promotion. !
    Let's move on!

21. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Time to close this thread.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.