VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Somewhat recently (last couple of weeks?) uploading images using the "Upload Image" menu/button thingy at the top of the Edit Box stopped working.
    It's barely been usable for quite a while as clicking the Select Files button rarely works the first time, and I've often got to open and close the upload image window several times before it does work, but now when it does work it still doesn't work anyway.

I'm using Pale Moon on XP if it matters. I haven't tried Firefox yet.

Cheers.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Upload Image.gif
Views:	149
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	41269  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Can't help, but just want to say that I had the same issue. Nice to know I'm not alone. Firefox on Win7.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Works in firefox win 8

Make sure the select files button isn't "blocked" with something like an ad blocker

And clear your cache, and upgrade your flash - I think it runs using swf
    Quote Quote  
  4. Make sure you aren't blocking cookies to https://forum.videohelp.com and https://www.videohelp.com. I had similar problems with the changeover to secure http.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm posting from Firefox in a clean state now. I restarted it in safe mode (Add-ons disabled) and still get the same error. I can select the image to upload on my hard drive, but attempting to upload it results in the same error message as in the screenshot in the opening post.

Uploading an image from a URL appears to be working, but not uploading one from my PC. I've got no anti-virus/malware software installed, nor a software firewall, and I'm behind the same ADSL modem/router I've been using for years.

To confirm they work, uploading from a URL with the "retrieve and save locally" option checked:

Click image for larger version

Name:	googlelogo_color_284x96dp.png
Views:	280
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	41272

Without it checked:

Quote Quote  
  6. On the plus side, the "Select Files" button for uploading images seems to be working quite reliably in Firefox, even though the selected files won't upload. I wonder why I have issues with it using Pale Moon?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Okay..... back to Pale Moon and I enabled the Firefox compatibility mode in Options. That seems to fix the issue with the "Select Files" button not working reliably, at least for the moment, although the uploading process still fails.

Edit: I should mention I'm using Firefox 45.4.0 ESR and Pale Moon 26.5.0 (Atom version). And XP, of course.....
    Last edited by hello_hello; 17th Apr 2017 at 01:01.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Flash problems?

It works in Chrome with the built in flash.

But I should switch to a html5 uploader....but it's a bit tricky to update the forum.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot3.png
Views:	267
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	41274

No problems with Firefox 52.0.2 and latest Flash.

You could also try disable Flash for Firefox/Pale moon and it should use a single file uploader.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by test View Post
    You could also try disable Flash for Firefox/Pale moon and it should use a single file uploader.
    If I'd known that I'd have tried to find a way to disable flash on this site permanently a long time ago.

Testing with Flash disabled completely. Just a random image.

[Attachment 41277 - Click to enlarge]

Yep, without flash it seems to work fine (assuming everyone else can see the pic above). I can live with uploading one image at a time. Now I'm off to see if I can block flash from working here.....

PS For the record I have Shockwave Flash 25.0.0.127 installed, which is currently the latest version, I believe. If not, it'd only be one version behind the latest.

Edit: There doesn't seem to be an effective way to block flash on the forum without disabling the plugin completely. Not that I've found yet. Even with it blocked with an add-on such as FlashBlock, the standard dialogue box still opens, only it doesn't work a little more than it already wasn't working. It seems the only way to get the single file uploader to run is with the Flash add-on disabled completely. Unless someone else knows how.....

Cheers.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 17th Apr 2017 at 11:26.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I wonder if the current flash is buggy and that's causing the problem, rather than it being the browser's fault. I checked, and I last updated the flash plugin 10th April, so that could be when image uploading stopped working. It probably would have been around that time, but I don't know for sure.

No doubt there'll be a new version of flash soon to fix security issues, and maybe image uploading will start working normally again after the next update.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Latest version is 25.0.0.148

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

could be related fix

April 11, 2017

Flash Player

[Windows]Flash player unresponsive after connecting with the socket.(FP-4198296)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Mmmmmm. Firefox hadn't warned me about outdated flash and blocked it from running at an extremely inconvenient time, as it often does, so I thought I had the latest. &^*&! It's only a week old. I'll update it again and report back on the state of image uploading.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Uploading a random image for testing.....

Damn! I was optimistic, but as usual it just led to disappointment. Maybe the even newer flash is broken too?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bummer.gif
Views:	114
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	41285  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try using chrome browser, i've had a lot of problems with the latest few versions of firefox and flash working on secure websites. half of my banking sites don't work at all with firefox but they do using chrome.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  16. Marsia Mariner
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    try using chrome browser, i've had a lot of problems with the latest few versions of firefox and flash working on secure websites.

half of my banking sites don't work at all with firefox but they do using chrome.
    That makes sense. Chrome and its clones became the new Internet Explorer.
    Quote Quote