Hi All.

I have just downloaded and installed Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala on a blank hard drive. I've installed Adobe Flash plugin for Mozilla via Firefox (tried to play a video on YouTube and clicked the plugin required button that appeared). It states version 10.0.45.2ubuntu0.9.10.1 (flashplugin-installer) if I go to Ubuntu Software Centre via the Applications menu. I have a 64bit AMD system with an nVidia graphics card and have also just installed the 185 drivers via System, Administration, Hardware Drivers. I have two monitors and have them set as Separate X-Screens. I have selected 'None' in System, Preferences, Appearance, Visual Effects (which, from what I understand disables Compiz).

The problem is that if I view a video on YouTube (or any other Flash video site), the video does not fill the entire window that appears on the YouTube page. The video fills the window vertically but not horizontally. The video is not distorted or anything, but is more of a square shape, whereas the window provided on the YouTube page to play the video in is more rectangular in shape, so there is a black bar at the left and right sides of the video. If I switch to fullscreen, the problem is still there. The video does not fill my whole screen. It does so vertically but not horizontally, so there is a black bar at the left and right sides of the video.

Another problem is that whilst in fullscreen, if I move the mouse to the right edge of the monitor, the video exits fullscreen mode. I don't know if this has anything to do with the fact that my second screen is to the right of my main one. I never had any of these problems with my previous version of Ubuntu and I don't know if I am being paranoid or not, but I am wondering if the quality of video (online and on my pc) is significantly reduced as well. As I've said, I may be imagining this, I don't know for sure.

Should I just go back to my older Ubuntu version? Is there anyway to have streaming video open in VLC without having to copy and paste the link into VLC?

If anyone has any suggestions, they would be very appreciated!

Thanks.