VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there any program that does this(or maybe multiple programs)? For re-arranging I mean instead of (defragmented) fragments to be placed randomly on the drive/partition like this:

Instead them to be placed altogether and the system files to be placed rather at the beginning of the drive?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For boot time defrag of Page File (Swap File) & Registry files try Page Defrag...it's one of the SysInternals (now owned by Microsoft) tools

And for a "smart" general defragger try JKDefrag...JkDefrag classifies files into 3 zones: directories (zone 1), regular files (zone 2), and SpaceHogs (zone 3). Directories are perhaps the most accessed data on disk, so zone 1 is placed at the beginning of the harddisk. After the directories comes a free area, then zone 2 with regular files, another free area, and then zone 3 with SpaceHogs (less important files that take up a lot of space).

It also has the option to do a "quick" defrag without the file re-location

Trev
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For XP defrag, if you hit the "Defragment" button again for a second pass it will relocate and compact files to the beginning of the drive.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by TJohns
    For boot time defrag of Page File (Swap File) & Registry files try Page Defrag...it's one of the SysInternals (now owned by Microsoft) tools
    I was interested in something that starts before the load of the OS, maybe by a boot disk? Thank-you about your suggestion tho, I will try both programs.

Originally Posted by edDV
    For XP defrag, if you hit the "Defragment" button again for a second pass it will relocate and compact files to the beginning of the drive.
    I would want to avoid Windows defragmenter, but I will try that also.
    Quote Quote