VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok i am been searching for LCD monitor for few days now and so far i have find viewsonic or samsung to be good. and within my price range too.

the the issue is which one is much better. i am looking at these.

19' LCD monitor

932Bw samsung
    or
    VX1962wm viewsonic

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/samsung-932bw-lcd-monitor/4507-3174_7-32632338.html?hhTest=1

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/viewsonic-vx1962wm-flat-panel/4507-3174_7-3307326....html?hhTest=1

the issue which one is better. the reponse time is same, the DC is different. i can mount viewsonic while cant for samsung(so stupid)

if anyone have any of these please help me in choosing so i can purchase one of them..

was thinkin gor 22' for the price different is too much
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, supposedly Viewsonic holds the longevity record for the backlight bulb but I did have problems when I had to RMA a 19inch LCD a few years ago. I eventually got a brand new one from them.

The only big difference I see between those models is the Samsung lcd has HDCP compatibility.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One spec people forget is HDCP. This allows connection to video devices and is required for BluRay HD playback.

The specs show HDCP on the Samsung but I couldn't find it in the Viewsonic specs.

I'm pleased with my Samsungs (226BW and 205BW). I wish my 19" Viewsonic had HDCP.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok so how is ur samsung doing so far and how is the comparsion between ur iew 19' and 20' samsung
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm very pleased with the 226BW. The 205BW is on a Mac and hasn't been as tightly calibrated. My Viewsonic is an older VA912b so the comparison isn't fair. That one is a 4:3 aspect and 1280x1024 resolution. I suggest you search for reviews and user comments for the specific models you are considering.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i did and my head HURT!!!!

but thank again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a ViewSonic VX922 that I bought in December of 2006 so I've had it about 1 1/2 years now.

It is a 19" LCD with a native resolution of 1280x1024 and I have it hooked up using DVI and I am very pleased with the image quality.

When I bought it the price was around $300 US Dollars as I recall. Probably cheaper now (if this model is even still made).

The thing that impressed me about it was that 1.) It won awards and 2.) It has a 2ms response time

Only thing I disliked about it is that the included stand doesn't allow for landscape rotate. I like that mode for reading digital comics. I got "around" this by buying an after market LCD stand (although that cost me about $50 US Dollars).

That really shouldn't be a negative though ... seems the norm for most LCD built-in stands to NOT have landscape rotate. Some do but very few.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  8. The deciding issue is going to be how good your eyesight is. The Viewsonic with higher resolution (1680x1050 vs 1440x900) will display everything smaller.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    The deciding issue is going to be how good your eyesight is. The Viewsonic with higher resolution (1680x1050 vs 1440x900) will display everything smaller.
    You compensate for that by moving the screen closer. The vertical pixel count determines the size text will appear. Thus a wide 22" 1650x1050 and a 4:3 19" 1280x1024 will have similar text size. The 22" will just be wider allowing two pages side by side.

My 205BW 20"also has 1680x1050 screen resolution but needs to be brought closer to get the same look and readability as the 22".

My current laptop has a 15.4" wide 1280x800 screen and is much more difficult to read unless moved close.

The other way to look at it is for a given screen size, increased resolution will make the text appear smaller.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hmmm...
    so it would be better to have 1440 for 19' and 22 1680 resolution.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by edDV
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    The deciding issue is going to be how good your eyesight is. The Viewsonic with higher resolution (1680x1050 vs 1440x900) will display everything smaller.
    You compensate for that by moving the screen closer.
    It's funny how, in the early days of LCD monitors, people bought LCDs to free up desk space. And then set the LCD just as far forward on their desks as the front their old CRT. So the only space that was saved was the useless space behind the LCD!
    Quote Quote  
  12. I have a Samsung 22" 225BW (1680x1050) for over a year. I'm pleased with it, and it has an adjustable height stand, unlike the newer models. This size is the sweet spot for that resolution. I would have had trouble reading text at that resolution, on a 20" or 21" display. The only issue I had was trying to calibrate it with an old Spyder 2 that my friend had. I can't get it very accurate, but it's good enough for my needs.

I suggest going to a store to view the displays. But if you get a Samsung, make sure to turn off the "MagicColor" option in the menu. All it does is oversaturate the colors, and it is not good to use when working with videos. Samsung likes to do this with their TV's too, to make the colors pop. I looked at some of their TV's in the store, and they had a similar setting turned on. I turned it off, so I could compare TV's.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vampelle
    hmmm...
    so it would be better to have 1440 for 19' and 22 1680 resolution.
    The vertical number is the more important for readability but that is in the ballpark.

I had my optometrist calibrate my computer glasses focus for 18-24" back when I had a 19" CRT. The replacement was a 19" 1280x1080 LCD that worked equally well at that distance. When I decided to go "wide" the 22" 1680x1050 size worked equally well at that distance. Anything smaller depends on your eyesight or ability to move it closer than that.

Truth be told, I wish I had bought the 24" Samsung instead of the 22". There would be less leaning forward.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM

i would like that too but the cost is too much for me.
    as i was first planning to get samsung LCD TV 32' series 4 but when i heard the price. i was what!!!!!!!!!
    so that why i decided to go for LCD monitor. main reason i want LCD is for its resolution for watching movies in HD print.
    it not that i cant view on my CRT monitor but i sure it will be better and good for my eyes as the time clock is always blurr.

i know at 1440 it will be good for 720p and 1680 will be good for 1082p. but again the price.

for display they dont have the monitors turn on so that the main issue for me here.

thakn yo uall again for helping me understand LCD more
    Quote Quote