VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If a VHS cassette is re-recorded is there anyway to retrieve the original recording?
    I had an old family video on VHS and recently somebody recorded a T.V. show over it... Unfortunately that was my only copy and that video meant the world to me. Is there any way possible to retrieve the original recording? I will really appreciate any help. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not unless you can unrecord the picture from the tape. Exactly the same as recording something else over an audio cassette

Looks like you have lost it, the only hope you have is if the original wasn't recorded over entirely, so you might have some left

Sorry, but thats why they use recording tabs, break the tab you can't 'accidentally' record over it again unless you cover the tab hole with tape to record again or the switch that stops that happening is broken .......
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No way I have ever seen. That's why they put the tabs on VHS tapes, so you can block re-recording from happening. If the re-record is longer than the original video, it's all likely gone.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Only KIT from Knight Rider back in the 80s could do this

I don't know any consumer way to restore a previous recording on a VHS tape. I read somewhere few years back, that through a very special and very expensive process, you may able to reconstruct something that looks like "shadows" of the previous recording.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If you can build a flux capacitor attach to your car and drive 88 mph you will be able to go back in time before the point where you recorded over your tape, retrieve it and bring it back to the future. Basic common knowledge.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Nope, no way to "undelete" analog recordings. May we suggest a call to Tony Soprano, who can have a little chat with the "somebody" who recorded over your tape without even asking you...
    Quote Quote