VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK I am new here
    Quote Quote  
  2. Did you want to permanantly re-encode them? or is this just for PC playback?

If just for PC playback, you can adjust many settings with software players

As a warning, if you re-encode, you will lose quality from an already lossy source.

There are many free alternatives like avidemux and virtualdub which have quite a few built-in filters and are relatively easy to use. If you need complex filters, frameserving with avisynth will give you complete control, but it the learning curve is steep
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok thanks for your help now just one more question
    what filters do you use to make a sharper video and to add more light to it ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. There are several choices; some work better than others.

You can start with Sharpen for sharpen, and Brightness for brightness (in avidemux its called contrast)

If you toggle the display to can see the before/after side by side to see the effect of the applied filter, and readjust as necessary (on both avidemux and virtualdub)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can permently re-encode them
    Quote Quote  
  6. I you can adjust the degree of "sharpening" with the slider. There are other filters you can try as well, I just suggested the simple built-in ones. Most of the "experts" will use avisynth, but it's hard to learn early on.

You should really start with the original source (DVD) for good results. Like I said earlier - going from a lossy source to using a 2nd encode with a lossy source is a recipe for disaster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey dont look at me
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Star Trek has been available for several years on DVD. If you go and buy them they will be in much better condition than you can produce, and you won't have to break forums rules to discuss them.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote