VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ugh... auto correct... the Thread Title should read VCR not VCT

I have 3 different models of VCR-DVD tape machines.
    Planned on using for transfer of family VHS tapes.
    2 Samsung machines, 1 Sony machine (good, bad or ugly that’s what I have)

Problem for me is that each of these units play the VCR capture mode information at the top and a tracking bar at the bottom of the video as soon as the play button is activated, which is captured in the transferred video.

I have looked in each of tape machine’s settings and see nothing to indicate to turn this off.

Am I missing the setting somewhere?

The issue is most of the VHS tape videos begin immediately at the beginning not allowing me to run the tape until the information goes away, which ends up being a part of the saved video. Looks ugly.

I have connected each unit directly to the TV to confirm it is still there. It is.

Any enlightenment would be appreciated.
    Last edited by MoonView; 4th Apr 2021 at 22:27. Reason: Title incorrect
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MoonView View Post
    Ugh... auto correct... the Thread Title should read VCR not VCT

I have 3 different models of VCR-DVD tape machines.
    Planned on using for transfer of family VHS tapes.
    2 Samsung machines, 1 Sony machine (good, bad or ugly that’s what I have)

Problem for me is that each of these units play the VCR capture mode information at the top and a tracking bar at the bottom of the video as soon as the play button is activated, which is captured in the transferred video.

I have looked in each of tape machine’s settings and see nothing to indicate to turn this off.

Am I missing the setting somewhere?

The issue is most of the VHS tape videos begin immediately at the beginning not allowing me to run the tape until the information goes away, which ends up being a part of the saved video. Looks ugly.

I have connected each unit directly to the TV to confirm it is still there. It is.

Any enlightenment would be appreciated.
    the setting is usually on the remote, look
    for a display button.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    You should turn OSD off, I don't know why OSD will be recorded to DVD that's kind of dumb, It should only be available optionally in the video output sockets. Are you sure it is recorded in the DVD capture?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks october262
    I don't see a display button on the only remote I have is for the 2 Samsung units.
    See photo

at dellsam34
    Here's a still shot of one of the digital files taken from the VHS tape. as it starts to play you can see the OSD at the top
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 5.15.00 PM.png
Views:	31
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	58259  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7997.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	5.49 MB
ID:	58260  

Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The OSD option will not be on the remote itself, you just use the remote to get to the right menu item.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Try pressing the "Exit" button, and see if that works.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks dellsam, I've already gone through the Menu items on the Samsung DVR-357 I have. Sadly/surprisingly no option for turning off OSD nor automatic tracking.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Took a look at the rather obtuse instruction book for the Samsung DVR-357, and unfortunately there does not seem to be any option setting to disable the on screen display during VHS>DVD dubbing.

You could try pressing the INFO button (just below the arrow wheel) the second you see the overlay: INFO appears to be the equivalent of the DISPLAY button of other similar recorders. It should clear the display off the screen, but note it might pop back up occasionally if tracking drifts too far or there's a gap between recordings on the tape.

BTW, tracking functionality of this Samsung works the same as in every other modern VCR. It is automatic unless you override it during tape playback by pressing the Channel Up or Down buttons to manually adjust tracking. Once you engage manual tracking, it will stay on manual until the tape is ejected (which resets the VCR to auto tracking). There's a chance that engaging manual tracking might kill the display: when auto struggles it tends to pull up the display, but once locked at a manual adjustment the display should remain inactive.

Otherwise, the only way to completely avoid any display being recorded to the DVD would be to connect an external VCR to the Samsung (yeah, I know, defeats the purpose of having a single box combo unit, but used VCRs are cheap and most let you turn off their display).
    Last edited by orsetto; 5th Apr 2021 at 23:06.
    Quote Quote