VideoHelp Forum

Poll: What type of currency do you use?

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Most stores i use cash,once in awhile i use my credt card.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Credit card. I use cash very occasionally. Checks about four times a year. Debit card, hardly ever. I pay off my credit card a couple of times a month, so mostly no interest paid.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I voted Cash and Credit Card. I probably should have added Cheque, but didn't recognize it in its non-American spelling.
    I use cash for groceries and most other B&M purchases, CC for on-line and fuel purchases, and checks for bills. The only Debit card I have was issued by the place I donate plasma, and I only use it as an ATM card to withdraw the money as soon as it gets deposited.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Amazon.com credit card gives sweet rewards, so I use it as much as possible.
    I pay the bill in full each month, so why not?

I carry $10 at all times -- and I think I've had the same 10 in my wallet since March.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    i hate to break this to you but fundamentally we all use cash, everything else is just a proxy for cash.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I always use cash for "consumables" (food, gas, cigarettes, etc.). That amounts to most of it. For larger purchases or emergencies, I'll use a credit card or write a check.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Credit card 93%
    Cash 7%
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Euro....technically.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I use cash 99% of the time. I have to be careful with credit cards

I also use paypal a lot but it ties into a bank account that I set up only for online purchases and bill payments only and I have to physically deposit money into it to use it. This works for me.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use everything on the list, but write fewer checks and make fewer debit card transactions every year.

In the US at least, state laws determine how coupons are supposed to be treated. Coupons are treated as a form of tender in some places (and don't affect the amount of sales tax charged) and as a discount in other places (and reduce the amount of sales tax charged).
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Sep 2011 at 18:36. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For the last 10 years I have averaged about $ 200.00 per year in cash. I pay my normal bills with billpay online. For everything else I use my credit cards. In 40 years, I have not missed a month of full payments on my cards so I have never had to pay any interest on them.

When gas stations and grocery stores began to accept credit cards, I was pretty much done with cash.

The final straw using cash was when my son was old enough to no longer want the change from my pocket.

My use of cash now reminds me of of the condom I used to carry in my wallet when I was a young teenager. I had it my wallet for so long without using it that it left a permanent circle in the leather.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I guess I could add, though IMO, nothing wrong with credit cards if you use them sensibly. I use mine as a cash card and pay it off before interest is charged. I'm not a good customer to credit card companies. I have a 'cash card', but I never use it. My credit card works just as well, as long as I keep it paid off.

Sure, there is a surcharge to vendors for using credit cards, but I see little or no difference between the costs of credit card purchases compared to debit card purchases, as far as final cost goes.

But I do know people that max out their credit cards and battle that debt for quite a long time.

Don't mean to 'preach', but you can't spend more than your income without consequences.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ATM cash for small purchases.

Debit card in most stores (instead of check)

Check for bills that aren't electronic transfer.

Credit card for major purchases (for extended warranty protection)

Coupons for $1 soup or Sony software upgrade.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Credit card. I use cash very occasionally. Checks about four times a year. Debit card, hardly ever. I pay off my credit card a couple of times a month, so mostly no interest paid.
    I use AMEX credit card for 99% of all purchases and cash for the last 1 %. I never carry a balance and the card pays me 2% on all purchases. That's a better return than any bank currently offers. I generally make about $600 a year using the card.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    I carry $10 at all times -- and I think I've had the same 10 in my wallet since March.
    Same here , I've the same $20 from 2008!!
    Quote Quote