VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have converted 4 video files to MPEG-TS format. I then combined them like this
    ffmpeg -i video1.ts -i video2.ts -i video3.ts -i video4.ts -c copy -map 0 -map 1 -map 2 -map 3 video.ts

Unfortunately instead of creating an MPEG-TS file with 4 programs, each with an audio and a video stream, it has created an MPEG-TS with 1 program, each with 4 video streams and 4 audio streams. So instead of being able to select which program I want to watch using playback software such as VLC player, I've got 4 simultaneously opened VLC player windows (when it started playing it spawned a new window for each stream).

How can I use FFMPEG to create an MPEG-TS file with multiple programs?
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    @noemi7 -- are you sure that that's the answer the OP was looking for?

Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Videogamer555 View Post
    Unless I really haven't searched "hard enough", the answer is,
    thus far there is no freeware TS multiplexer that supports multiple program output

Originally Posted by Andrey Utkin
    ( http://ffmpeg-users.933282.n4.nabble.com/Trying-to-create-Transport-Stream-mpegts-havi...td4536879.html )

In AVFormatContext there's AVProgram* array for that.
    But it looks mpegts muxer does not use it, it is used only in demuxer.
    So IMO you can't do it with ffmpeg (both utility and API) currently.
    Originally Posted by neuron2
    ( http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1098011#post1098011 )

But TSMuxer apparently does not support multiple programs, nor bitrate padding, nor PID setting, etc. So it is not useful for creating multiple program streams for broadcasting.

That's why I asked for the source code -- a reasonable request since the program claims to be released under GPL! I wanted to see if the design was suitable for extending it with those desirable features.

But it appears that Roman is taking a holiday.
    Quote Quote  
  4. El Heggunte you are right. Noemi7's answer doesn't help me at all.
    I think noemi7 is a bot. It recognized a specific set of words I've used like "multiple inputs" and "single output" and automatically posted an answer without reading and understanding all of the post.

Unfortunately, when the only answer you get is a bot with the wrong answer it tends to mean that what you are asking about doing can not be done with the software that you are askng about.

I think I'm gonna send the devs of FFMPEG a nasty email, complaining about how their program lacks the ability to create an MPEG-TS file with multiple programs, and how having a single-program MPEG-TS file with multiple video and audio streams in that one program is the most useless thing you can possibly do with MPEG-TS.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Unless I really haven't searched "hard enough", the answer is,
    thus far there is no freeware TS multiplexer that supports multiple program output
    So do you know of any commercial TS multiplexer software that does? Or is this feature exclusively built into hardware multiplexors (intended for the digital TV broadcast industry, as rack-mount equipment)?
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    ^ Elecard XMuxer Pro apparently supports multiple programs, but I myself haven't ever tested the feature

The well-known product from Manzanita surely is a full-featured & professional tool, however it's even more expensive, granted
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Videogamer555 View Post
    I think noemi7 is a bot.
    lol, no, I'm human. I thought that the concatenation is that you want. Sorry.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try

http://www.haenlein-software.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=9d852d1602b75aad01ec349b36ad3858&...tionComparison

I have used this with TS as input. It appears to support multi-plexing if I read the spec correctly.

And when you shout off to the developers of ffmpeg to remember to ask for all the money you paid for this back.
    Quote Quote  
  9. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    It seems I spoke too soon...

mp42ts (part of GPAC) can create multiple program TS files

Code:
    mp42ts -prog=01.mp4 -prog=02.mp4 ... -prog=NM.mp4 -dst-file=multiprog.ts
    Good-news: works with Mplayer, using the option -tsprog <1-65534>

Bad-news: requires MP4 files for inputs :–/
    Quote Quote  
  10. I would give a chance to http://www.avalpa.com/the-key-values/15-free-software/33-opencaster

And this is real surprise (but not related to main topic - author please apologize me) - http://www.idealez.com/hides/product-detail/en_US/75595

DVB-T modulator on USB for less than 200$ - this is the moment where everyone can be local broadcaster (AFAIR less than 10mW emitted RF is legally allowed in most democratic countries and 10mW should be sufficient for indoor, home use).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    It seems I spoke too soon...

mp42ts (part of GPAC) can create multiple program TS files

Code:
    mp42ts -prog=01.mp4 -prog=02.mp4 ... -prog=NM.mp4 -dst-file=multiprog.ts
    Good-news: works with Mplayer, using the option -tsprog <1-65534>

Bad-news: requires MP4 files for inputs :–/
    Does it then internally convert the MP4 file to a MP2 stream, so as to output an MPEG2 TS file? Or does it just create an MPEG4 TS file?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    I would give a chance to http://www.avalpa.com/the-key-values/15-free-software/33-opencaster

And this is real surprise (but not related to main topic - author please apologize me) - http://www.idealez.com/hides/product-detail/en_US/75595

DVB-T modulator on USB for less than 200$ - this is the moment where everyone can be local broadcaster (AFAIR less than 10mW emitted RF is legally allowed in most democratic countries and 10mW should be sufficient for indoor, home use).

Unfortunately DVB-T is the European digital TV standard. ATSC is the North American digital TV standard. Is decoding DVB-T an undocumented feature that comes with most ATSC TVs? Or would I need to go and buy a European digital TV to receive this? Is there also an ATSC equivalent to this device, that would broadcast ATSC digital TV from my USB port? I live in the US, so unless most ATSC TVs can decode DVB-T, then this device you linked to would be completely useless for me. I live in the US, not Europe.

Also, the Opencaster software you linked to is useless for me, as it requires Linux. I only have Windows PCs. That software is useless to me, unless someone has compiled a Windows version of it and posted it somewhere. Are you aware of any Windows software that is freeware, and has the same capabilities as Opencaster (in particular the multi-program TS support, and the ATSC standard 20Mbps constant-bitrate output)?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Videogamer555 View Post
    I live in the US, not Europe.
    Sorry, my crystal ball is broken...

Also, the Opencaster software you linked to is useless for me, as it requires Linux. I only have Windows PCs. That software is useless to me, unless someone has compiled a Windows version of it and posted it somewhere.
    You can always use virtual machine on Windows, side to this my crystal ball is broken and i can't predict unspoken wishes or if you prefer "GIGO" .

Are you aware of any Windows software that is freeware, and has the same capabilities as Opencaster (in particular the multi-program TS support, and the ATSC standard 20Mbps constant-bitrate output)?
    No, such software is not yet created - Manzanita http://www.manzanitasystems.com/products/ts-mux-tsmm-specs.html is the only one, affordable priced (comparing to other solutions) and verified software that can be run on Windows and it will produce ATSC PSI/SI TS.
    Demo version is available - try it then start talking with Manzanita about price.

btw seem that OpenCaster have ATSC support so it is NOT limited to DVB PSI/SI only.
    Quote Quote