VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I am in Montreal, Canada, and I am willing to purchase an INDOOR antenna to capture OTA ATSC broadcasts.

Please, can anyone recommend a good model/brand ? It looks like I need to know the distance between my house and the closest broadcast antenna, I've seen some sites that allow to do that but for USA customers, is anyone aware of a site for people based in Canada ?

Does anyone get good quality in Canada with an indoor antenna ?

Thanks so much,

Zetti
    Quote Quote  
  2. They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  3. *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by drjtech View Post
    WOW, great, thank you !
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need to know if there are any channels transmitted using VHF frequencies before buying an antenna. If you want to receive VHF, you need to look for that feature in the specification for the antenna. Some of the more popular antennas for HDTV, like the fish-bone-shaped Silver Sensor type, are only for UHF. (There are some fish-bone antennas that receive VHF as well, but they include dipoles (old-fashioned rabbit ears) in addition to the fish-bone element.)
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 31st Aug 2011 at 17:54. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Post your TVFool plot and we can guide you to the next step.

If you were central Montreal, your plot would look similar to this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Montreal.png
Views:	1445
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	8474

This includes analog and digital.
    Last edited by edDV; 31st Aug 2011 at 20:28.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could stick a piece of wire in there and get Ch 27 and 42 (V and TQ). Are those the channels you want?

The rest will take more work.
    Last edited by edDV; 31st Aug 2011 at 20:38.
    Quote Quote  
  8. HD Without Cable – Using a Simple Indoor Antenna
    I have tried out many indoor antenna brands and there is one that has outperformed them all: the Leaf Indoor Antenna. Number one selling on Amazon, if that tells you anything. Most people are unaware that it's now possible to receive FREE High Definition and Digital broadcasts over-the-air (OTA) using a simple antenna connected to your television set! When buying my Leaf Antenna I got a $5 off promo code by going to killthecablebill
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dake7119 View Post
    HD Without Cable – Using a Simple Indoor Antenna
    I have tried out many indoor antenna brands and there is one that has outperformed them all: the Leaf Indoor Antenna. Number one selling on Amazon, if that tells you anything. Most people are unaware that it's now possible to receive FREE High Definition and Digital broadcasts over-the-air (OTA) using a simple antenna connected to your television set! When buying my Leaf Antenna I got a $5 off promo code by going to killthecablebill
    That antenna is tuned for UHF (ch 14-55) only. VHF (ch 2-13) will need a different design.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The leaf antenna is nice and thin, but $44 is a high price for an unamplified antenna that is only good for UHF.

I have an unamplified rabbit ear and loop antenna, and 2 Terk TV4s. I use a 20dB amplifier (purchased separately) for the TV4 connected to my PC TV card. The TV4s work OK for me, but I bought them because needed something that did not require a lot of headroom. Otherwise, I would probably have gone with a model that included "rabbit ears". There are several VHF stations operating in the area.

Amplified antennas sometimes don't work well in areas with very strong signals, but can be very helpful for marginal signals. The Quantum FX ANT-102, the Audiovox/Terk HDTVa, and amplified loop and rabbit ear antennas like the Quantum FX ANT-101 and the Lava Electronics HD-468 did well in EscapeVelocity's Indoor Antenna Round-Up http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1037779
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Amplified antennas sometimes don't work well in areas with very strong signals, but can be very helpful for marginal signals.
    An amplifier probably won't work in Montreal. There are channels with received powers greater than -10dBm. These channels will definitely compress the hell out of the input stage, converting the amplifier into an attenuator. I have the same problem where I live.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post

Thanks edDV and all that replied, this is my TVfool plot:

Name:	Radar-Digital.png
Views:	3112
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	8477

Please, I'm totally a newbie on this, would an INDOOR antenna suit me ? Or do I have to go outdoors anyway ? What would be the drawback of staying indoors ?

Going outdoors is not "that" big trouble, but an indoor one would definitely suit me better.

Thanks a lot,

Zetti
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Zetti View Post

[Attachment 8477 - Click to enlarge]

Please, I'm totally a newbie on this, would an INDOOR antenna suit me ? Or do I have to go outdoors anyway ? What would be the drawback of staying indoors ?

Going outdoors is not "that" big trouble, but an indoor one would definitely suit me better.

Thanks a lot,

Zetti
    Anything in the green section of the list is very likely to be available using an indoor antenna. Not having an exterior wall facing in the direction of the station you are trying to receive will sometimes prevent reception, as will obstructions like large trees, hillsides and neighboring buildings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

[Attachment 8477 - Click to enlarge]

Thanks a lot,

Zetti
    Anything in the green section of the list is very likely to be available using an indoor antenna. Not having an exterior wall facing in the direction of the station you are trying to receive will sometimes prevent reception, as will obstructions like large trees, hillsides and neighboring buildings.
    Thanks UQ, please, any special recommendation on a particular antenna make/model ?

Thanks,

Zetti
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks UQ, please, any special recommendation on a particular antenna make/model ?

Thanks,

Zetti
    I made some here https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/338473-Indoor-antenna-recomendation-please?p=210356...=1#post2103562 but it sounds like amplified antennas may be a bad choice for you, other than for picking up more distant stations. To be honest, indoor antennas often have to be "auditioned". Unamplified rabbit ear and loop antennas like the RCA ANT111 can often be purchased locally and at a resonable price. They would be a good place for you to start, before you move on to mail ordering antennas.
    Quote Quote  
  16. My experience over the last 3-4 years, in three different locations, has shown me how EXTREMELY SENSITIVE these antennas are to location and direction. I have several different units, from an $80 amplified Terk to a $10 Walmart special. Depending on placement and orientation, the el-cheapo can out-perform the Terk, IMO hands-down the best I have tried. I also have an un-amplified Terk and the Zenith MANT-10, these two are very close and tied for second.

A single foot of elevation or 10 degrees of rotation can gain, or lose, several stations. Time of day and weather are very significant factors.

Some antennas show improved reception if on of the aerials is touching a wall, others get worse in the same orientation.

The amplified Terk was far superior in pulling in the single VHF station in my area, unfortunately since the three-year-old amp died I can only occassionally pull in that particular station.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Thanks a lot,

Zetti
    Allow me to interpret your chart.

You have 5 local transmitters (marked in green below) located 15 miles away, ~83 compass degees with line of sight (LOS). You should be able to receive these with an omnidirectional indoor antenna. Better would be a directional indoor antenna that you could point to 83 degrees.

The next group of transmitters are 81 miles distant, 154 degrees in the Plattsburgh NY, Burlington VT area. All of these stations but one transmit from the same location. WCFE (PBS) transmitts from a different location at 194 degrees and is only 50 miles distant. To receive these stations you will need a relatively large directional outdoor antenna and maybe a preamp.

Name:	Zetti.png
Views:	2870
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	8506

All of the stations mentioned transmit on the UHF band except one, WVNY (abc) which transmits on channel 13 in the upper VHF band. To receive this channel you would need a combination UHF/VHF antenna.
    Last edited by edDV; 3rd Sep 2011 at 10:22.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HI all,

Thanks for helping, an indoors rabbit ears gave me ONLY the first channel on the TVfool plot, CBC.

Would a better indoor antenna give me better results ?

Please, what do you think ? Or should I go outdoors in the first place ?

Thanks,

Zetti
    Quote Quote  
  19. Outdoor is always the best solution, the best indoor antenna can't compete with the cheapest outdoor antenna.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Outdoor antennas mounted outdoors perform best of all. Outdoor antennas mounted in a suitable attic space will perform next best. Either will always work better than the best indoor antennas.

There are other antennas you could try if you are not committed enough to go outdoors yet. If you like building things, you could try the fractal antenna from post #3 for your local stations. Here are links to other home-made antennas that perform well for UHF: http://www.diytvantennas.com/sbgh.html and http://www.diytvantennas.com/bowtie.html

If you don't want to make your own antenna, this is an example of a fish-bone design, which is one of the better directional designs for indoor UHF antennas. http://www.amazon.ca/CHANNEL-MASTER-4040-INDOOR-ANTENNA/dp/B001OMWLKK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...5159721&sr=8-1

[Edit]Attic-mounted antennas need an ample space that has exterior walls facing in the direction of the stations to be received. Obstructions inside or outside the attic, metal siding, a metal roof, or heavy masonry can prevent reception.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 4th Sep 2011 at 14:28.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Thanks a lot,

Zetti
    Allow me to interpret your chart.

You have 5 local transmitters (marked in green below) located 15 miles away, ~83 compass degees with line of sight (LOS). You should be able to receive these with an omnidirectional indoor antenna. Better would be a directional indoor antenna that you could point to 83 degrees.

The next group of transmitters are 81 miles distant, 154 degrees in the Plattsburgh NY, Burlington VT area. All of these stations but one transmit from the same location. WCFE (PBS) transmitts from a different location at 194 degrees and is only 50 miles distant. To receive these stations you will need a relatively large directional outdoor antenna and maybe a preamp.

[Attachment 8506 - Click to enlarge]

All of the stations mentioned transmit on the UHF band except one, WVNY (abc) which transmits on channel 13 in the upper VHF band. To receive this channel you would need a combination UHF/VHF antenna.
    Thanks edDV for very useful explanation,

I'll take a look at outdoors antennas,

Thanks also to everybody that replied, it`s much appreciated, very kind from you

Cheers,

ZEtti
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Outdoor antennas mounted outdoors perform best of all. Outdoor antennas mounted in a suitable attic space will perform next best. Either will always work better than the best indoor antennas.

There are other antennas you could try if you are not committed enough to go outdoors yet. If you like building things, you could try the fractal antenna from post #3 for your local stations. Here are links to other home-made antennas that perform well for UHF: http://www.diytvantennas.com/sbgh.html and http://www.diytvantennas.com/bowtie.html

If you don't want to make your own antenna, this is an example of a fish-bone design, which is one of the better directional designs for indoor UHF antennas. http://www.amazon.ca/CHANNEL-MASTER-4040-INDOOR-ANTENNA/dp/B001OMWLKK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...5159721&sr=8-1

[Edit]Attic-mounted antennas need an ample space that has exterior walls facing in the direction of the stations to be received. Obstructions inside or outside the attic, metal siding, a metal roof, or heavy masonry can prevent reception.
    Thanks UQ, much appreciated,

Regards,

Zetti
    Quote Quote