VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'm getting into 3D rendered effects in Blender, and have looked at Cinema 4D. But at an eye-popping $3,695.00 - well, so much for THAT.
    Are there any open-source alternatives?

And what's the difference between 3D and 4D, anyway? Google results mostly deal with ultrasounds...

Thanks!
    Ego svm post mortem
    Ego svm vltra
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Arch Lich View Post
    I'm getting into 3D rendered effects in Blender, and have looked at Cinema 4D. But at an eye-popping $3,695.00 - well, so much for THAT.
    Are there any open-source alternatives?

And what's the difference between 3D and 4D, anyway? Google results mostly deal with ultrasounds...

Thanks!
    What kind of "3D" effects specifically? What's wrong with blender? It's the "best" and most mature open source alternative

There is no "4D" - it's just the name of the software

C4D "Lite" is included with the Adobe subscription for After Effects CC

There is a new open source one called "Natron" . It looks promising. The GUI is a lot like NukeX
    http://natron.inria.fr/
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There are lite/trial/student versions of Maya (which is arguably the most popular 3D CGI app). But for OpenSource, Blender is your best bet.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, folks.

I figured Blender is about the best I should hope for. Frankly, I'm amazed at how robust it is, to be open-source. I'll use what I have and feel very lucky.
    Ego svm post mortem
    Ego svm vltra
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's some cheapo 3D software too. Aurora 3D Animation and Bluff Titler. Depends what you want to do. For basic Motion Graphics the cheap ones work fine.

Also. HitFilm can do intermediate 3D, but not advanced stuff, like modeling.

There's little automation in these programs, so you better be a graphics artist. If not, doesn't do you any good to invest the time and money.

An advanced degree in physics is helpful too. And there's a whole new vocabulary you have to learn, as well.

Last edited by budwzr; 7th Feb 2015 at 14:31.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can't think in three dimensions worth a flying damn. Playing Minecraft taught me that. So the physics aspect is hitting right home. And, too, the new jargon is mind expanding in-and-of itself. Photogrammetry, anyone?

That's why I didn't scoff at "4D."

I've been using VSDC Free Vid Editor, but what with Blender's capability to mix 3D animations with good old fashioned green screens, the temptation to jump in w/both feet up to my arse is just too strong. Thank goodness for lots of developer support. (read: Youtube)
    Ego svm post mortem
    Ego svm vltra
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!