VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a dvd-r where the subs that were added cannot be turned on (and are not recognized as being available) on my dvd player. However, they are available on my PC using VLC Player when the dvd is played.

So, two questions:

1 - What would cause this to happen?
    2 - What can I do to fix this? I'm thinking PGCEdit might help, perhaps changing a setting once I import the dvd?

Thanks,

Ben
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not trying to imply that you are a dummy, but your post sounds suspiciously like one of those "left out critical information about the problem" posts that we get all the time here. While this might not be the case, it just sounds to me like one possibility is that you actually have a Divx file and not a DVD. If you are sure that you have a DVD (there is an AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS directory at the top level of the disc), then one possibility I can think of is that the subtitles are forced off. VLC typically ignores PUOs (Prohibited User Operations) so I could see it ignoring a "force off" flag on the subtitles.

If you are sure that you have a real DVD here, then this guide should help you to turn the subtitle on.
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45440

Again, I am NOT trying to insult you by suggesting that you are not correct in your post. Your post may be 100% accurate. However, we get many posts where people say things like "I am 100% sure that I am working with X and Y happened. I could not under any circumstances be wrong about working with X." Then we look into it and found out that they are working with Z even though they insisted that they were not and that is why they have problems.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply. It is most definitely a dvd, created by remuxing demuxed video and four audio files in addition to the sub file.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Was the sub file part of the original DVD you demuxed? Was it created by you? If so, how was it created? And finally, how were the demuxed assets remuxed and stuck back into the original DVD (unless it wasn't, and there's no longer any menu)? In other words, how was it reauthored and the subs added in?
    1 - What could cause this to happen?
    Funky subs created, or improperly muxed back in.
    2 - What can I do to fix this?
    Not sure yet. It can perhaps be demuxed and reauthored, correctly this time. Need more info.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Subs were found, edited/spell-corrected all in srt. format. Then, SubtitleCreator was used to check to make sure there weren't any errors with timings, etc. After that, subs were saved as sup. files. The files were finally muxed with IFOEdit. Subs' coloring was imported from another dvd using PGCEdit (perhaps that's the step that created this issue?). The final product was tested before being burned and appeared to be fine. Of course, once tested on a stand-alone dvd player the story was different.

Btw, I have watched the entire dvd since I found that the subs didn't work, and everything else is fine (chapter stops, the different audio tracks and the image itself).

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Did you try press on "SUBTITLE" button on DVD remote, when movie is playing?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes....

I guess I need to fully state that the subtitles do not turn on when I play the dvd in my dvd player when I press the subtitle button. When I press the subtitle button on my remote, a pop-up states the subs are 'off' - no 'on' option is given.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I've read of a lot of problems with SubtitleCreator created SUP files. I can't confirm that because I don't (and won't) use SC for that purpose. In addition, IFOEdit isn't the best authoring program. Muxman is way better. In addition, importing sub colors from a different DVD works only if the sub colors are found in the same 2 squares of the CLUT, and the chances of that, based on my experience, aren't all that good. I have no idea if any of these things play a role in your problem or not, as I don't do any of the things the way you did them. However, all my subs play in my DVD player, and I edit subs for DVD daily.

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for the time being and assume the SUP file created by SubtitleCreator is a good one. I'll also assume you have all the assets still. Use Muxman this time. It takes assets in the same format as does IFOEdit - M2V, AC3 audio, Celltimes.txt (chapters - in File->Import Chapter), and SUP files. With one major exception. If this is a 16:9 M2V, you'll have to load the SUP twice, once for 4:3 display and once for 16:9 display. If 16:9, load the SUP once normally, hit "Wide", advance the counter to 2, load it again, afterwards hitting "LB". Give it a destination and "Start". Test it out when done. Change the colors either by double-clicking on it in PGCEdit and changing the 2 subtitle colors you got in the CLUT (they're almost certainly in the top row), or by following this guide to do the job using DVDSubEdit:

http://download.videohelp.com/DVDSubEdit/Guides/ChangingColors/Guide.htm

Good luck. If you don't get subs when testing in software (VLC Player, you said), check the Muxman log (in the root of the C drive) for any information. It may have been rejected. If it still doesn't work in the standalone, you may have to create the subs following a different method.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the time and the help!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm home from work no and working on this. First thing I've done so far is open PGCEdit and then opened the line in the left-hand box that states 'VTST 1,1 TTN 1 (1:29:09) Title 1'. I then clicked on each of the Sub-picture VOB's Decoding Streams. I re-selected the sub's info (ltbx, ws, 4:3, pan&scan). Found a dvd-rw to test with, wish me luck...

EDIT: Ok, whatever I did worked! There's two sub files now, the first one is blank and the second one is the English file. Whatever, it's good enough for me now. Thanks, everyone!
    Quote Quote