VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have Nero and I've been making VCD's for awhile but Ive never actually tried to put an extremely large file on a VCD before. I looked at Neros "Edit" tool type thing, but I didnt get very far. I also looked in the F.A.Q. and this is as close as I got to figuring it out, and this all looks like jiberish:
    https://www.videohelp.com/faq#740

2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for posting in the wrong forum, I read the link you gave me and it SORTA makes sense but then again it doesnt. Im trying to burn the VCD right now so Ill see if its possible in about.... 2 hours or so when its done

Search PM
    What ?

2 hours ?

Sounds to me like Nero is re-encoding. If your file is VCD-compliant then it's a whole waste of time, and not to mention detrimental to quality, to let Nero re-encode needlessly.
    If in doubt, Google it.

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what do you mean jim, what should i do then? What do you mean its re-encoding?

Search PM
    If your file is already VCD-compliant, then it should just author and burn. This should take all of about 10-15 minutes at the most. Nero is detecting that your file is not VCD-compliant and re-encoding it so that it is. Nero tends to do that ..... a lot. One way to stop it is to uncheck the "create standard compliant Video CD" tickbox on the burning wizard. Another way is to use VCDEasy, which is commonly regarded as one of the best VCD authoring softwares there is.
    If in doubt, Google it.

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is that VCDEasy free? Nero is too complicated for me, I need basics, and it seems to have alot of extras

7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now I just looked at my Nero thing and it said video was too complex and didnt work! Isnt there just a way to lower the quality of the video so that it will fit?

Search PM
    This version is:

https://www.videohelp.com/download/VCDEasy_v1.1.5.2_Setup.exe

But in all honesty, if Nero's too complicated for you then I wouldn't touch VCDEasy
    If in doubt, Google it.

9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ill try again tomorow........ or maybe the next, my schedule tomorow is packed but right now, i have to be getting to bed. Thanx for the help, Ill come back to to this thread when I do post again.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gangstapimp50
    Isnt there just a way to lower the quality of the video so that it will fit?
    It will fit. A VCD can hold 800 MB because it burns mode 2 without error correction (see Baldrick's link). You don't need to do anything but author it, which Nero is refusing to do. Do as Jim says and set it to ignore standard compliance, or use VCDEasy. Lots of guides for VCDEasy if you're stuck.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa

11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Is that VCDEasy free? Nero is too complicated for me, I need basics, and it seems to have alot of extras
    Gangstapimp50 - It concerns me that you feel that Nero is "too complicated" because Nero is actually pretty simple to use. To be blunt but hopefully polite, I have a good friend like you. If he has to click more than 2 buttons to do anything, his brain shuts down and he simply is not interested in doing it. Nero is "too hard" for him to use in anything but the Wizard mode. I tried to show him how to do more powerful things with Nero and he simply was not interested at all because he would actually have to think about it and use his brain. Sad but true.

Making VCDs or DVDs or doing anything video related requires you to actually use your brain to learn how to do things in the process. If you are too lazy or tired to do this, your best bet would be to do what my friend did. Just save up and buy a standalone DVD recorder because they are very very simple to use. I politely suggest that you think seriously about my comments because if you aren't willing to learn how to do this correctly (and I suspect from what you have already said that you're the kind of guy who's not really going to be interested in reading a bunch of documentation to figure this out), you might as well do it the easy way which is to buy a DVD recorder.

12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    Gangstapimp50 - It concerns me that you feel that Nero is "too complicated" because Nero is actually pretty simple to use. To be blunt but hopefully polite, I have a good friend like you. If he has to click more than 2 buttons to do anything, his brain shuts down and he simply is not interested in doing it. Nero is "too hard" for him to use in anything but the Wizard mode. I tried to show him how to do more powerful things with Nero and he simply was not interested at all because he would actually have to think about it and use his brain. Sad but true.

Making VCDs or DVDs or doing anything video related requires you to actually use your brain to learn how to do things in the process. If you are too lazy or tired to do this, your best bet would be to do what my friend did. Just save up and buy a standalone DVD recorder because they are very very simple to use. I politely suggest that you think seriously about my comments because if you aren't willing to learn how to do this correctly (and I suspect from what you have already said that you're the kind of guy who's not really going to be interested in reading a bunch of documentation to figure this out), you might as well do it the easy way which is to buy a DVD recorder.
    WOW! Didnt know that it was that serious, I was just trying to say that the tasks that I wanted done were being completed for me, but I wasnt able to configure it during the process. Just as Zippy and Jim has told me to click "create standard compliant Video CD" box, I was looking for advice like that. Im trying to learn, otherwise I wouldnt be in this forum. Im trying to learn as much as possible now, so I can do it on my own and not be a bother to people like you.

13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was looking at som AVI to VCD guides by Sefy, and it looks that my simple question (how to fit 785MB avi to 700MB cd) has a long and complicated answer.

Hopefully this is a more simple question:
    I know that Nero converts the video before it puts in on to the VCD but is there a way to save the converted video so that every time I burn it, its quick and doesnt need to converted again? After reading jimmelanko's comment about Nero re-encoding videos I wasnt sure if it was possible so I thought Id ask. Also, I was looking for "create standard compliant Video CD" box but I cant seem to find it anywhere. Where would that be located, he said in the "burning wizard" but, (this officially makes me a newb) I dont know where/what hes talking about?

14. First point - You do NOT have to "make it fit", a VCD or SVCD will allow 800 MB on a 74 minute disk.

Second point - You need to STOP Nero from re-encoding the video. Two reasons for this, 1-encoding a second time is BAD, 2-Nero is a crappy encoder.

Strongly suggest you stop doing anything and start reading. The first point is well covered in the FAQ and almost any Guide on the subject. If you haven't covered that point, there are almost certainly many, many other things you need to know. Not so you do not ask questions that are asked hundreds of times (though that would be nice), but so you can create better quality video.

Its like someone asking directions to a city a hundred miles away and then asks what those red, octagonal signs mean. Would you explain the signs and send them on their way, or have them study the drivers manual, because there is so obviously much more they need to learn?

15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanx Nelson, you put that in a way that even I can understand. With that advice Ill start reading and return to the forum only wen absolutley needed.

16. Wait a minute, is your 785 MB file an avi?

17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Abond got it right. You (probably*) can't put a 785MB avi on one VCD. Forget the entire issue concerning what mode data is written in, the fact is, the video content of a 785MB avi probably lasts too long! An AVI at 785MB is likely* 2 hours long or more.

A couple of things to help this guy out:

1) Ganstapimp50 - your original question/post did not have enough info for anyone to offer valuable advice to you. As you said, you are trying to learn and that is what this site is for. Best to give as much info as possible to start.

2) Baldrick you simply provided a link to an issue that just complicated things even more for this guy. As an Admin you should have asked some questions of this guy.

3) Why convert to VCD in the first place? If your object is to watch the content of the AVI on a stand alone player, think about how much time you are spending on converting video to VCD format! There is a very good chance that whatever process was used to encode the original AVI produced a file that will play in most MPEG4/Xvid/Divx players listed in the LISTS section to the right. (And with a much better quality picture than VCD!)

Your tag line says you are in the US. You can get a decent DVD player that will play your current set of VCD's, as well as most AVI's, and whatever else you want to throw at it for about $50.

* as to my first comment, it may be that this 785MB avi is a raw DV file or a HR encode that will fit the time specs for VCD (~70-80 minutes). Either way the drop in quality in both cases would be extreme and IMO not worth the effort.

18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's what I was gonna say.

I was looking at som AVI to VCD guides by Sefy, and it looks that my simple question (how to fit 785MB avi to 700MB cd) has a long and complicated answer.
    If it's avi LET Nero encode it to a compliant VCD. Although 785 is a funny lookin size for an avi from my experience. They are mostly around 700MB or less. You should have stated what kind of video you were working with in your first post. Most people would have assumed you had a 785MB mpeg. And with that size, it would definitely fit on a 700MB CD because of the burning mode. And all you would have to do is import it into Nero to image n burn.

19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What should I read up on? I know Im going to read up on VCDEasy but do I need to read something else before I read that?

I know that I didnt put the right info in the first post but I dont wanna post the wrong thing and make people madder than they are now or make me sound lazy.

Search Comp PM
    Gangstapimp50:

1 - What type of file is it that you are trying to fit onto disc? I don't want to assume that it is an AVI file, but exactly what is your source? You did say:

"I was looking at som AVI to VCD guides by Sefy, and it looks that my simple question (how to fit 785MB avi to 700MB cd) has a long and complicated answer."

Are we to infer from this that your source is indeed an AVI file? If so, that would explain why Nero is re-encoding the video to be VCD compliant. Kindly clarify this for us, ok?

2 - You also wanted to know:

"I know that Nero converts the video before it puts in on to the VCD but is there a way to save the converted video so that every time I burn it, its quick and doesnt need to converted again?"

The simple answer to this is yes, use TMPGenc Encoder (free version is still downloadable via Tools link on the left) and it will create a VCD compliant video. Of course, if the source is an AVI file, you may need to split it in two to fit on 2 VCD's, depending on the resultant size of the MPEG-1 file that TMPGenc creates, but at least you will have your VCD ready MPEG-1 file that you can re-burn at a later date.

3 - It's true that there are Divx/DVD players out there, but I would first burn the AVI to CD as a CD-ROM Data disc and take that to the store to try out in one of these players. I'm not the owner of such a unit, so I cannot swear that they play all formats/versions of DivX/Xvid out there.

Good luck and post back with your answers so we can further assist you, ok?

And welcome to the site!

Cheers!

TTWC
    "I've got a present for ya!" - TTWC

21. What to read? Pick a guide, any guide, and read it. Then read it again. Repeat with next guide.

Each one will probably introduce you to several terms you do not understand, don't worry about that. Every one or two will have an explanation of one or more of these terms that will click for you. When you can read two or three new guides and everything makes sense, then you will be ready to address whatever your particular goal is.

Restart the process with a guide geared towards whatever it is you are trying to do. You may very well find a better goal to shoot for, such as SVCD instead of VCD, Xvid on DVD for standalone player, etc.

I once told a newb I could fill a page with what he needed to know, so he asks "like what, for instance", so I filled a page for him. It's not a question of "where do you start" but rather a question of "where do you stop". Can't fully explain resolution without interlacing, can't explain interlacing without fields, which leads to field order, which leads to motion stuttering, which branches off into frame droppage, which leads to capture codecs, which leads to display codecs, which leads to re-encoding, which leads to bitrates, which leads to CBR vs VBR, get the idea? Its like you want an explanation of differential calculus but don't understand what the x and y are for instead of real numbers. This is nowhere near that hard, BTW.

Just start reading, trust me, it will come together after a bit. What angers users here is those who simply refuse to do any reading at all, and keep asking the same questions, which prove that they are not doing any research at all. There is too much to spoon feed it to you, I want to put the fork in your hand so you can feed yourself.

When you figure out how to get started, you might be the one who discovers some new trick we can all use.

Search Comp PM
    We *ALL* started out as noobs, after all - so don't worry about asking the questions, just be sure to fill in as much detail as will allow for a relevant answer.

Other than that, enjoy the site!

Cheers!

TTWC
    "I've got a present for ya!" - TTWC

23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To explain simple: if this is a avi ie: divx or nerodigital, to your cd disc this is considered a data file and cant be bigger than 700 megs. Now if this is an mpg file then even a 785 mpg well fit on the disc if its 80 mins or less.. so if the 785 meg file is say 60 minutes it well fit because the disc has 80 minutes of time. If your video is based on file size rather than time you need to keep it 700 megs or less.

24. Originally Posted by Trident5
    To explain simple: if this is a avi ie: divx or nerodigital, to your cd disc this is considered a data file and cant be bigger than 700 megs.
    Not completely true, as XCD it will fit. (look at Mode2CDMaker)

25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sweet - some nice comments going on this. Nelson is dead on - it really can become a matter of where/when to stop all the reading.

The number one issue IMO is time spent encoding vs. time spent watching. Aside from a few people that really enjoy tinkering with formats and encoding (thank you!) most of us are more concerned with watching video in the easiest/best format possible.

My advice on the stand alone was based on wondering why anyone these days spends much time with S/VCD when re-encoding video that is already compressed. Each encode causes a drop in quality. There are definitely good reasons for using S/VCD in the first place.

As to Ganstapimp, I still say that the solution he will be happiest with is getting a standalone player. Given that he is in the US and there are a bunch of MPEG-4 players on the market that are very inexpensive, his time spent encoding vs time spent watching will really shift to watching.

I personally own two such players and I can't tell you enough how sweet it is to burn an AVI (or MPEG, or raw DAT, VOB) as data and just pop it in and watch.

Here is a link from the players list to the right for the two I own:

Phillips DVP 642
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDnameid=4117&Search=Search&#comments

Insignia IS-HTIB102731
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDnameid=6588&Search=Search&#comments
    Note the really sweet review on this one! 8)

Search PM
    I'm not sure as I'd want to recommend the use of a Mode2CDXA format disc being put into a settop (for ISO/AVI/Divx stuff)--compatibility-wise. They're not nearly as accepting of non-standard formats as computers. I STRONGLY recommend that one tries making a test disc 1st before buying a player that is assumed to accept these files--both on a track structure level and on a file/codec level.

If the file's OK, but the track type isn't, it could always be burned to DVD-R (ROM ISO9960/UDF mode). Check for compatibility here too, though.

Scott

27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Heres the information of the file:

Name: Killa.Season.DVDRiP.XViD.TiN
    Size:785 MB (823,193,600 bytes)
    Bit Rate: 192kbps
    Audio Format: MP3
    Duration: 2:08:00
    Frame Rate: 29 Frame/s
    Data Rate: 104kbps

Anything else I need to tell everybody? I didnt know I was going to have to do ALL this stuff just to put in onto a disk, this is crazy (please no one get offended or call me lazy)

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning. Discussing downloaded copyrighted video is a violation of our rules.
    / Moderator redwudz

28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yup, you would have to do even more to get it on VCD - in fact 2 VCD's. The video is too long - 2 hours+.

You could of course always work with this file and one of the many VCD authoring programs listed above and split it into 2 disks.

For you, in this case, I still say the stand alone solution (new player) will bring you the greatest satisfaction. Although Cornucopia brings up a very valid point, there are easy steps to take to ensure compatibility of your file(s) when written as data, but that is a whole other discussion and not relavant to (S)VCD creation.
    Mediocrity is the new Gold Standard.

Buy Platinum.

Search PM
    I didnt know I was going to have to do ALL this stuff just to put in onto a disk, this is crazy (please no one get offended or call me lazy)
    I won't call you lazy ..... actually, yes I will - and I'll throw in ignorant while I'm at it.

I suggest you read the forum rules - https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=124514 - as the file you are asking for assistance with is classed as WAREZ since it is available to buy on DVD here - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000F3AIQ8/sr=8-1/qid=1146289071/ref=pd_...=UTF8&v=glance .

You will save both yourself and us a whole lot of hassles by purchasing this movie on DVD.
    If in doubt, Google it.